Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Just a few starter questions! I dont plan to breed until spring 08, but want to be totally ready. I currently breed budgies, so I have experience.

What type of nesting box do you use?

Do you put any bedding in it?

How many days from mating does it take for the first egg to be laid.

Do they lay every other day?

P'lets here are really expensive, I am told this is due to them being really hard to breed.
Do you all agree with this?

Are they prone to abandone the eggs?

I'm sure I will have a ton more questions ahead! lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi all,
Just a few starter questions! I dont plan to breed until spring 08, but want to be totally ready. I currently breed budgies, so I have experience.

P'lets here are really expensive, I am told this is due to them being really hard to breed.

BUUZBEE,

Im from a tropical country, so my answer will be base on a tropical country settings.

I use a typical BUDGIE nestbox

I use pine shaving as beddings

I think it would take 1 week or so for the hen to laid their eggs after mating

Parrotlet laid their egg every other day

They need to be 1 year old or more before they breed.
And also, you need to have 2 pairs or more in able to breed them successfully

I have not experience hen abandoning her clucth of egg, not yet:D, i hope:D

·
Registered
794 Posts
EJ do you sell them? How many of them are hand tamed it looks like you have a lot of birds. How is your mortality rate? Have you been breeding long? how old is your oldest p'let? questions questions questions

·
Registered
11 Posts
EJ do you sell them? How many of them are hand tamed it looks like you have a lot of birds. How is your mortality rate? Have you been breeding long? how old is your oldest p'let? questions questions questions
memmey,

As for the moment i'm not into selling yet, though i've breed some of them. I'm still in the learning process with regards to p'let

I dont have any hand tamed p'let, as my purpose is to breed and propagate. But i'm really hoping to have one soon:eek:

With regards to p'let, my mortality rate is zero %. I dont know how to explain it in a very humble manner, but i think they are just very hardy little ones. Provided with a good diet & housing.

With lovebirds & parakeet's, i started breeding 1996
With parrotlet, it was in mid 2000. My first pair was a gift from a friend, he said he just cound'nt breed them. It was love at first sight:(

My first pair was i think 6-7 years old now

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi all,

I use a budgie box, not the one with a hole in the front because my female refused to go in, but the ones with the top half of the front wall missing.

My birds mate all the time...They were together over a year (mating daily) before she layed any eggs, so I can't help on that one! LOL

I line my nest box with a eco-paper shred from the pet store. It's like shredded clean newspaper type material. My birds tossed everything else I tried out of the box.

They generally lay every other day, but I have had eggs layed back to back also.

I don't know budgies, but parrotlets can get egg bound quite easily. Also, they do need to be a year old to make sure the male will be mature enough to feed his hen while she is on the nest. Otherwise she will abandon the eggs/babies to eat.

Parrotlets can be expensive. However, as a breeder you will not make any money on 1 or 2 pairs. If you hand feed you are looking at around/over $300 for a cheap brooder. You may have one from your budgies already? Left on 24/7 for a few weeks, and your electric bill will go up also. hand feeding formula, syringes, a good thermometer, towels, a weening cage with toys, etc. These are some of the small expenses that add up. Once the little guys are weened they eat a lot. We had 5 of our little babies and they went threw 1-2 cups of seed a day after they were weened. Plus fresh veggies every day.
Add to this the fact that you should only breed a pair once every 6 months, and the general egg count is 4-5.

May I advise you do a web search of local breeders in your area & how much they sell their birds for. Obviously the fewer breeders in your area, the better. Also check with any bird stores to see if they purchase babies. They will usually pay about 1/2 of what they sell them for. If you aren't able to sell the little guys soon after weening, you may wish to go this route before they eat you out of house & home. ;) Also, if this is to be more then a hobby, (meaning you want to make a profit) you will need several pairs, because of the time needed in between clutches.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info Ms F

I have budgie boxes, but not that style, so i will keep my eyes open for one. (i have until spring 08)
Budgies also can get egg bound too, so I am prepaired for that. ( i was surprised to read that their eggs are bigger than a budgies!)

I have pretty much all the equipment, but will need to get rearing food when the time comes.

I deffinatly wont see them to the pet stores, as i wouldnt know what riff raff would end up with them. (if its anything like my budgies, i'll keep them all anyways!)

As i get closer I will start doing more searches on the pricing.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok is it absolutely necessary to have more than one pair to breed? Just wondering because recently I received a male/female pair into our animal rescue and was told they were a "proven" breeding pair. I asked if there was anything in particular I needed to know and they said "Nope, just put a nest box in the cage and feed them really well, next thing ya know, you've got eggs".....LOL

Obviously, I don't believe it's THAT easy, but if I were to decide to allow them to reproduce, could I or is it a non-issue because it's just the one pair?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I'm surprise this is all they told you :eek:

There is much to consider and learn before breeding Parrotlets. One can stick two birds together and hope for the best - But for a responsible breeder there is much to learn.

To name a few - Both birds need be checked by a certified Avian Veterinarian to ensure they are healthy and to check for any underlying health issues. The breeder needs to insure the birds are in top breeding condition - planning months in advance to insure the birds have been getting the correct diet and have been living in the optimal conditions to insure their bodies are ready for the demands being put on them. The hen especially needs to be in tip top condition as there is much that could go wrong - the more common being her becoming egg bound - this is a painful and often life threatening situation for her - the breeder needs to be educated to insure she receives the proper care so she doesn't die.

For Parrotlets in particular - they are know for abandoning their nest due to many factors - to name a few, inexperienced parents or too many disturbances to their nest and/or their environment. This is quite common with pet P'lets so the breeder needs to be experienced in hand rearing to ensure the chicks live - Also under stressful conditions the male can turn on the chicks and they will need to be pulled for hand rearing. Hand rearing holds its own tool box of issues.

Another is finding the right homes for the chicks. Parrotlets can live in extent of 25 years. The right home must be found for the chicks to ensure they can live out their lives being taken care of properly. Unfortunately with the amount of Parrots in Parrot rescue organizations apparently this isn't always an easy task or one to take likely.

These are just a few of the things to take into consideration before breeding. Hopefully some breeders will give more advice.

There are folks on the forum that have had success with a single pair.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yep, that's all they told me as they handed them over...

I've been reading everything I can get my hands on about them...just in case. I work in rescue so my background is not breeding, but I'm anal about researching every animal that comes into my home. All animals coming into the rescue are seen by our vet including all birds so I'm assuming they are healthy although I was not the one who took them to the initial visit.

I just want to be prepared for anything that might come my way. What are the signs of a hen being egg-bound? How would I know?

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
You may call that anal - I like to think of is as being a very responsible pet owner :p ... ( I'm the same way :D )

I've never had an egg-bound female - maybe someone who has experienced this first hand will chime in - But from what I've read. You might notice her straining to pass the egg. If having a hard time most will leave the nest box and sit on the cage floor all fluffed up trying to pass the egg. Some may just sit on a perch and you will notice something is not right, usually they are exhausted - you also may be able to see the swollen area where the egg is. There are many different remedies but if the egg breaks inside the female she may die.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Ok is it absolutely necessary to have more than one pair to breed? Just wondering because recently I received a male/female pair into our animal rescue and was told they were a "proven" breeding pair. I asked if there was anything in particular I needed to know and they said "Nope, just put a nest box in the cage and feed them really well, next thing ya know, you've got eggs".....LOL

Obviously, I don't believe it's THAT easy, but if I were to decide to allow them to reproduce, could I or is it a non-issue because it's just the one pair?
Not absolutely necessary.

Before my mother got multiple pairs, her single pair had about two clutches without any other parrotlets around.

They say that the pair needs to hear another pair to get the instincts, but it's not true.... maybe for some pairs, but not all.

Good luck with the breeding! :D

Btw, Pado has given some great advice so far. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts