Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to know what is the best cage size for my little buddy? The one that we are using is 28Lx18Wx24H. We purchased this one, as it sits perfectly on a sofa table that my son had made me in High School. He seems to be happy being in the hub of the house. (We have an open concept house and he is right in the centre of the livingroom/diningroom and on the pathway to the kitchen and our bedroom.

Thanks for your help :)

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
The largest and widest cages are great for Parrotlets. I would get a larger one and have great rope perches, grooming perches, manzanita and natural perches and a great assortment of med. and small toys like swings of all kinds atoms, boings etc. Does your birdie get out to fly and play on playgyms?

Chipper's personality didn't really come out until we bought he this cage and bought larger toys. She bloomed!

I hope you will show us some photos!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kermie loves to come out and play. He usually gets to fly around either in the computer room or our bedroom...as long as the door is closed so my 2 cats aren't tempted.
Well I guess it looks like there just ,ight be a new home in Kermie's future.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
As a rule of thumb larger is always better - and you will hear an array of different thoughts on cage size. In my opinion your cage is nothing to feel guilty about for a single Parrotlet that gets daily out of cage time and interaction. It would be too small for a bird that did not get any out of cage time and of course it would be too small for a pair of Parrotlets. But 28x18x24 is no dungeon.

·
Registered
794 Posts
i agree

I think a big cage is better too. Oscar doesnt have that huge of a cage, but he has lots of toys....one thing i do know is, they LOVE new toys. So you should cycle their toys every two weeks or so.
I know this because sometimes on the weekend, I will go visit my mother, and when I take oscar with me, he has a whole second cage setup there! With different toys than at home... he has SOO much fun, because he isnt used to them. Then he comes back home and has (what he thinks is) new toys again. lol.
lots of toys is good.
and the bigger the cage, the more toys you can get, thus, happier bird!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts