Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! So I just brought my new baby home about a week ago and he’s been worrying me a bit. He’s been very sleepy throughout the day but has pin feathers on his head so I automatically thought this was due to molting. He’s still eating fine and has issues drinking enough water sometimes, he’s eating Higgins seed mix as a snack and zupreem pellets mixed with roudybush pellets along with chop I’ve been making and slowly trying to introduce but he wants nothing to do with it yet. Maybe a little broccoli. But the reason I’m posting is because when I uncovered him today there is food on the bottom and I don’t know if it’s regurgitated or if he threw it up. His poop was also pretty green and looks like it may have been a little liquidy. Please help as I get so worried about him very easily!
Brown Wood Pest Tints and shades Concrete

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi guys! So I just brought my new baby home about a week ago and he’s been worrying me a bit. He’s been very sleepy throughout the day but has pin feathers on his head so I automatically thought this was due to molting. He’s still eating fine and has issues drinking enough water sometimes, he’s eating Higgins seed mix as a snack and zupreem pellets mixed with roudybush pellets along with chop I’ve been making and slowly trying to introduce but he wants nothing to do with it yet. Maybe a little broccoli. But the reason I’m posting is because when I uncovered him today there is food on the bottom and I don’t know if it’s regurgitated or if he threw it up. His poop was also pretty green and looks like it may have been a little liquidy. Please help as I get so worried about him very easily! View attachment 46897
Also meant to add that he has a vet appointment mad for the 18th that was the soonest I could find with quality avian experience. I hate waiting that long though lol.

·
Registered
462 Posts
PIcture is a little out of focus to tell. Have the poop been watery consistently? If it's one poop and then it's ok after I wouldn't worry about the poop. If it's a number of weird poops in a row throughout the day I'd be more concerned. There's a great "poop guide" on this site, let me find the link for you.

How old is baby? edit: I see the title is 9 weeks. Seem to be pretty young, it could just be weird poops from weaning? Is he sleeping ok on the perch (gripping perch fine), or is he sleeping on the floor of the cage? Is his breathing laboured? Is he extremely puffed up when sleeping?

Here's the poo guide : “Does this poop look normal?” Guide to Bird Poop

second edit: monty projectile threw up once as a few month-old, it was white and milky.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will try to go and get a better picture before I change out his towels. Yesterday they were all completely fine it’s only today that they have been green but still have healthy urates. I added new pellets yesterday and let him try come new treats like pumpkin seeds. So maybe that’s why the poop is the greenish color? And he only puffs up when he’s napping and it’s no severely just a little. He naps a pretty good amount though. As for the other stuff I’m pretty sure he regurgitated food as online it says throw up would be everywhere and not in a pile.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
At 9 weeks, he is still a baby. Your pellets have to be non-dyed! No color! Dyes are bad. Keep an eye out on what seeds or veggies or anything else he ingests. I am glad his urates are good. Look close at the liquid around the urates and if there is a slight yellowish tint/coloring around the edges of the urates, this could be yeast flowering.The vet needs to see this when you take him. A few hours before you take him to the vets, put a new sheet of paper towel on the bottom of the cage or carrier. This will give the vet an idea of the poo do patterns. Make sure he has water and some millet when you go.

Always make up a list of questions for the vet Questions like, " How much does my p'lett weigh? " and " I feed him______ __ __ , and offer him ___ __ __. Is this okay?" and " Are you going to do a Gram Smear today? " ask as many questions as you can. I always write them down because I always get distracted and forget to ask the vet things I wanted to know!

Just a note+++++The gram smear, or stain, is done in the throat and droppings. It will determine the bacteria status in the poo do's.
Gram Positive bacteria shows a dark blue. Most normal flora in a bird is positive. ( the stain does not penetrate the cell walls of the bacteria).

If the gram is negative, the stain turns pink.( The stain does penetrate the cell walls) Depending on the color is how the vet knows what kind of bacterial infection your bird has. Now you know!

David

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you! I took the pellets back that had the dye in them and got the zupreem naturals that don’t have any! He’s doing good now his poop is back to normal, the only weird thing he did just now was poop twice in a row literally one second apart and I’ve never seen a bird poop twice at once. It was definitely two separate poops too because they both have white urates on top. Maybe just a freak thing lol but it was weird.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
That's okay! Poo do's times two happens. He had to go! If his poo do's change colors, it may be because of what he just ate. Green veggies may make his poo do's change a little. I gave an orange cracker to a bird I had and a few minutes later, he had orange coloring in his poo do. Talking about weird!

Keep asking questions!

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts