Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody I've been reading everybody's posts for a few months now. My little babes Sunny (boy) and Gabby (girl) are almost 6 months old now. Everything was going great..they were happy I was happy we all were getting along quite well. Sunny was starting to mimic a couple sounds I made he would jump on my hand to come out of his cage and go straight to my shoulder. Gabby has always been easy going, she's 2 two weeks older than Sunny so she's typically the boss. She does something first and he makes sure to do it right after. We spend time together everyday and they have even learned to stay on my shoulder when the cats are around, and I got to the point that I fully trusted in them that they knew to stay put.

Something changed last week big time. I'm super frustrated. A couple things happened. First, some minor renos started in my apartment, so in the morning I would have to move their cage to another room. I would sit with them and talk. then something bizarre happened. Sunny didn't want to go into his cage. Or step on to my finger. He actually flew away from me for about five minutes. I didn't stress I thought It was actually cute. I finally had to catch him ( had to go to work) and away he went. The next morning following our same routine he took off again. And I had to catch him again. It's not safe for him to fly around with kitties, so I was a bit freaked out. I caught him and put him away.

Now he won't speak to me, he's scared of me and does everything to get away from me. It's like another bird is possessing my parrotlet. I am so discouraged. Meanwhile gabby is somewhat normal. She will still get on my finger but still something has changed.

Hah! Also I'm sure they've just started to molt. They are picking at their feathers like they are driving the bonkers. I tried misting them but they are terrified. They just huddle in the corner of their cage like its acid rain!

Help! I want my baby back :(

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Well, they are young yet. A little change in the p'let world can be a big change in the p'let world. Could be a lot of factors, the noise from the reno, you moving them and moulting especially if it's all happening at once. When you mist them do you mist from below them and to the side pointing the mist up, so that it doesn't touch them but comes down as rain? You might be freeking them out if you are hitting them directly with the spray. A lot of patience and some time things should go back to normal whatever that is in the p'let world. Maybe moving them back to where they were? Is one side of the cage against the wall, so that they feel secure? Good luck

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Also are they caged separately? If not there might be some aggressions happening to your little boy.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I think a lot of small sudden changes, seemingly small to us may be shocking to our tiny feathered friends. Things change, but I think slower is maybe better ? They are young, and will adapt as Jean said .

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Some regressions are abnormal with parrots, especially when confronted with changes and new things...as things settle, they'll likely come around. I'd just go gentle with them, give extra TLC, and do my level best not to do things to add to their stress.

It sounds like they are stressed out a bit, and reacting...

I've had birds have very adverse reactions to the loud noises of building and workmen before; that can be really frightening and stressful to birds. They hear a lot better then we do, so unpleasant noises are even worse to them - much, much louder.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Even if I wear a head wrap from a shampoo or a hat on my head, they certainly react. Moulting does bring out the "worst" in them too. Seems like a full moon doesn't help, either.

·
Super Moderator
4,460 Posts
Ok, first you did not lose 5 months in 3 days. Sounds like your little ones are just going through a mood, either because of their age or because spring is arriving. Probably both. Get use too it. You own parrotlet, moody is part of their charm, it is why we love them. At least that is what I keep telling myself. Anyway give them time, love, patience and they will come back around.

The only thing that sounds out of place is them being terrified of misting. If this is so then stop doing it. You should do your best not to scare your birds. Find another method to giving them a bath that they like.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I agree with what everyone has said. I think there is a lot going on with them right now and so, so true that parrotlets are not the bear with change. I am sure the bond you have established will reassert itself but patience will be the key. Don't give up and try not to feel discouraged. They are not giving you want YOU want right now because they need you to give them what THEY need. So try to remind yourself you are applying human psychology to birds and you will realize that this is not personal to you. Just be patient and accommodating - and try not to worry. All will be well again soon.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everybody! These are my first parrotlets so I'm learning a lot as I go :) and I'm sure I have a ton to learn, so this site and all your help is an amazing resource for me! I've started from scratch with my scary hand with the yummy millet in the cage. Sunny came out and sat on my shoulder this morning for 5 mins and mimicked my sounds. I feel like my babe is in that little yellow body :) Oh the power of the millet!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mine will completely freak out if they don't like how my shirt goes with my pants, or for pretty much any reason. They like white food bowls, but black food bowls apparently are worst thing on the planet.

Change is not something they like.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
A real good example of a small thing to us, I came inside with my sunglasses on and my little guys freaked out ! No big deal to us, but unsettling for them .

·
Super Moderator
4,460 Posts
Mine will completely freak out if they don't like how my shirt goes with my pants, or for pretty much any reason. They like white food bowls, but black food bowls apparently are worst thing on the planet.

Change is not something they like.
Of course they flip out about your clothes. To them it is like you are ripping your feathers off and replacing them with different ones every day. How would you feel if somebody close to you showed up everyday with a different skin color and texture? :eek:

·
Super Moderator
4,460 Posts
A real good example of a small thing to us, I came inside with my sunglasses on and my little guys freaked out ! No big deal to us, but unsettling for them .
Well to them you suddenly grew big dark bug eyes. :eek: That would freak me out also. :D

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Lol, funny pictures in my mind with the bug eyes and feather changes!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts