Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I got my parrotlet when it’s about a year old in 2017. He’s a turquoise pied. This morning my mom found him dead. I’m so confused and devastated because he’s a really active bird always chirping and flying around the living room. The night before he was still fine and okay. He never showed me any sign of sickness. He’s always full of energy and playing around whenever he gets the chance out of his cage. The necropsy said he died from having blood clots in his intestines. I don’t want to pay more for them to bring it to a lab. The report is in the link. I don’t understand it much and tried googling it. So I’m asking here.

Do you guys have an idea what can cause it? He eats a mixture of zupreme fruitblend pellets, roudybush pellets, & bird seeds. I also give him some veggies. Sometimes when my dad plays with him, he feeds him a tiny piece of croissant as a treat. I check online and they said it’s ok in small portion. Could that have cause his death ? Or can Nonstick cookware do that? I do have nonstick cookware but he lives in the living room which is near the kitchen. However when we cook I open window and turn fan on to circulate the air to outside. He always seems ok when we cook all this time so I’m not sure if that can cause it? Can he slowly die like that with the cookware smell?

·
Super Moderator
5,044 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss. I have no answers for you, but I am very sorry for your loss.

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
So sorry for your loss. I have no words that can help. We have a section called the Rainbow Bridge where we memorialize our little guys that have moved on. Feel free to write up and post pictures of you little one so we can all enjoy his life.

I am not an expert but from what I can tell the necropsy is trying to say he ate something that tore him up inside. That may have been immediate or a while back and he just hid it. I would not spend money chasing this answer in that I know few that have gotten satisfactory answers from necropsy reports.

From what you say he was eating right and you were caring for him well. If his death was something he ate it may have been something you never knew of. I have a friend whose bird got sick and they found concrete in her bird. It took her a long time to find out where the bird was getting the concrete off the floor behind a cabinet she never knew the bird was at. We can not watch them all the time and they get into more than we know. Especially the young ones.

Feel free to interact with our community through your grief. We are used to it. Others have a hard time understanding how a 5 inch tall, 30 gram, sassy fluff ball can steal your heart.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Your bird was beautiful. This is so sad – I am deeply sorry to hear about your loss.

·
Registered
374 Posts
So sorry for your loss.

Blood clots can be due to a variety of different factors, as noted by the necropsy report. Do not beat yourself up about it. In your grief you may be looking for answers and wonder if you somehow caused his death. I can guarantee that you did not do anything wrong and unfortunately life can be cruel. You can share your grief here and we will understand and we will empathize. The loss of a beloved pet is heartbreaking and we are here for you.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Losing a beloved p'lett is hard to understand. From what you said, you were doing a good job with him. I lost 2 in an 18 month period and I still have a hard time with their passing over to the Rainbow Bridge. Please read the Rainbow Bridge copy we have . It will help you. Vicki and I are so sorry for your loss!

David and Vicki

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is so heartbreaking!! He was gorgeous and it sounds like you were a great mom. I'm so very sorry - these guys sure wrap around your heart :(.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello, first of all I am very very sympathetic for your loss and so sorry this has happened but I wanted to stop by and reassure you- as a biologist whose job it once was to perform these necropsy reports I do not see anything wrong with what you've said about his care. What I can do for you is explain this report to the best of my knowledge:

So basically the report says that they believe the blood clots that formed to either be caused by Avian Gastric Yeast Disease, Enteropathy, or heavy metal toxicity.

Avian Gastric Yeast is a disease that occurs when there is an overabundance of yeast that is naturally occurring in the bird digestive tract. ( so there's a normal level of natural yeast and for whatever reason the yeast grows out of control and this imbalance is what causes sickness). This yeast does not occur naturally outside of the birds digestive tract. Parrotlets are naturally prone to this 'imbalance' of yeast and it acts very quickly like two days fast. The bad news about this that The Journal of Avian Medicine says its relatively impossible to prevent because it occurs spontaneously and some birds show no symptoms while others may pass away. This is usually spotted quickly by noticing bloody stool.

Enteropathy means that the lining of the intestines are 'leaking' or failing to absorb dietary nutrients and they they don't know why. Its basically a biological catch-all term for, "We don't know why but there's a hole in the intestines." It could be because they swallowed something it could also just be genetics- there's not a definitive answer here. You typically would see blood in the stool with this as well.

Then obviously heavy metal poisoning is the final concern- some cages have lead in the metal bars and are coated with wrought iron. Parrotlets have very strong beaks for their size and sometimes bite through the coating and can ingest lead and pass from that. I'm very familiar with lead poisoning in humans but unfortunately not in birds. I belive there is a thread on this somewhere on this forum.

I can tell you for a fact that when I run lab testing as a microbiologist there are very few times we can say for certain what something is. Its not certain that there will be an answer from lab testing at all. While it may be the worst possible answer I can give you science wont always know why our pets pass.

What I can tell you as a biologist, is from what you have said nothing stood out to me husbandry wise that would lead me to believe you caused any problems. Sometimes birds eat things we don't know about or sometimes they do nothing out of the ordinary and still get sick and science just doesn't know why.

I am terribly sorry for you loss, I hope an explaination of this report can bring you some comfort if any.

·
Super Moderator
6,601 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss, he was absolutely stunning and beautiful. I completely understand how you feel, not long ago we woke up one morning to find our beloved Melody at the bottom of the cage. She had passed sometime during the night, a total mystery. She also was her happy feisty normal little self right up until we put her to bed that night. She was definitely our healthiest appearing of all our birds, I did not bother having any workups done because it wouldn't bring her back anyway, I find this report very interesting that is good at least you have some kind of answer what happened to him. From what you said you did a great job feeding him and caring for him It is really difficult when you lose one of your little feathered friends not to feel like it's your fault or you could have done something more. You could look through any thread here on the forum from any one of us whose bird passed and you will not find anyone who does not wonder if there was something else they could have done but really it is not your fault sometimes they just pass unexpectedly.
Thank you for sharing with us you can be assured your grief is understood here. They are heart stealers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts