TalkParrotlets.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up this baby 2 days ago, just turned 3 months. I've attached some recent pictures and some pictures of when it was younger. I believe it's female. What do you think? Also, what would this color variant be called? Many thanks in advance!

m 20210121_214745_1611284045099.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Congratulations on your new parrotlet! A reputable breeder should be able to tell you the mutation and sex of your baby. Your bird is an American turquoise. It looks like a female, but we would need to see the underside of the wings to verify that. You can determine the sex yourself if you want to since males have blue on the flight feathers and females do not. Do you have a name picked out yet?

·
Super Moderator
4,871 Posts
So cute! My guess is female, as the blue of a male doesn't seem to exist. Males have blue on the underside of the wing, and also normally on their back and a bit behind their eyes (on my male that is really faint). My parrotlet is a male American yellow, and you can see his blue really well in my picture below.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Both male and female parrotlets can have blue eye shadow and blue rumps. Only males have blue on the flight feathers.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! Your baby is beautiful. How is she doing? Is she settling in okay?

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Your baby looks female. What coloring! Make sure you take your baby to a vet for a wellness check. Make a list of questions for the vet to answer. She is such a cutie!
You mentioned that you picked her up. We do not put breeder's names in this forum, but what state/area are you from? ( if you don't mind).

David and Vicki;):rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all the responses. She's still a bit timid but she's calm when handled and even preened my face last night. Working on getting her to step up. I noticed when watching some parrolet videos that she will get very vocal and even leave the cage in search of the sounds. I stopped playing this near her as I felt bad she was thinking it was her siblings calling.

I'm located in South Florida and we did visit a local avian veterinarian. I wanted to have her toe looked at as it appears she was either bit or was got caught in something. Black scab like ring and swollen tip. Gram stain revealed some gram negative bacteria. The vet prescribed Baytril in the water for 10 days and aloe vera applied to the toe. I've attached a picture.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,406 Posts
Thank you for all the responses. She's still a bit timid but she's calm when handled and even preened my face last night. Working on getting her to step up. I noticed when watching some parrolet videos that she will get very vocal and even leave the cage in search of the sounds. I stopped playing this near her as I felt bad she was thinking it was her siblings calling.

I'm located in South Florida and we did visit a local avian veterinarian. I wanted to have her toe looked at as it appears she was either bit or was got caught in something. Black scab like ring and swollen tip. Gram stain revealed some gram negative bacteria. The vet prescribed Baytril in the water for 10 days and aloe vera applied to the toe. I've attached a picture.
Sounds about right on the toe bite. It is how they fight and squabble. The running joke around here when you mix parrotlets is that everything seem just file until somebody loses a toe or eye. Parrotlets are territorial little things. My hen has a short toe because of something in her past so as long as it heals up ok she should be good from my experencence.

·
Super Moderator
4,871 Posts
Both male and female parrotlets can have blue eye shadow and blue rumps. Only males have blue on the flight feathers.
Thanks for clarifying. :) I didn't realize until I re-read my post that it sounded like I was saying that the blue back was only on males. Since sometimes birds can hesitate to show their flight feathers and I know that blue on Tumi is striking, I was hoping to just provide one sample picture of one boy. :) But there definitely are a bunch of girls with the pretty blue as well. :) I don't envy those with blue parrotlets trying to figure out the gender. My yellow boy was pretty simple to figure out once he felt like showing off his feathers to the world. :D

·
Super Moderator
6,463 Posts
What a cutie! As previously mentioned, this is an American turquoise and I agree that she looks like a female. The blue in the picture that you posted of the tale is more of a light violet, I believe for a male it would already be looking more Cobalt. I also have an American turquoise female

·
Super Moderator
4,406 Posts
I think I can use some clarity here. I would have went with American Yellow, I thought American Turquoise was blue with green heads so they can be yellow too?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
American Turquoise is a very pale shade of turquoise, which is often combined with a very pale shade of yellow with a lime green or yellow forehead. Some birds are even almost pure white with yellow foreheads and only a few yellow feathers. It is the American gene makes the turquoise a lighter shade.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I want to add that Turquoise is different than American Turquoise. Turquoise is a blueish green bird with a lime green forehead.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts