Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do your p'lets go after each other toes for no reason? Gelato likes to grab at her toes and make her shout on occassion, which stresses me out because I'm not sure if it is him being mean or him just being a p'let. My female does this to his toe nail, but he goes for the nail or toe itself.

He does preen her and feed her. They do play together, but every once in a while, out of the blue, he goes for her toe. I'm not sure how concerned I should be over this.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Is he actually biting her feet?

My male fluffs and grumbles and makes a move toward my females feet – he does this two the three times in a row- its almost like he’s threatening to bite her feet.

He does this to move her away – usually when one of us is talking to her. I’ve read wild Parrots will bite at their females to get them to fly away from dangers or if a rival male is giving her attention.

But mine never actually bites her feet. She’ll usually make a move toward biting him and he never carries through.

In the beginning I like you was concerned about this behavior but he still does it today and it doesn’t bother me anymore – most of the time now the female ignores him too.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he actually had her toe in his beak and she thumped him and chased after his toe nail. He didn't break the skin, but it got her attention. It was right after he finished preening her. Maybe he was telling her to go away after he finished...

*SIGH* between the tail bob, the caught head, and the male holding her toe in his beak, I'm going to go nutso (well, more so than normal).

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmm. he also seem to be attracted to that band.... maybe he is wanting that and not her toe.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oooooo he got in TROUBLE. He got THUMPED for touching her foot. She wised up and threw a fit. She's learning to watch him and to not take his behavior. I'm worrying less now. She is still young and needs time to mature. I think he is feeling... well randy, and she has no idea what he is wanting. He keeps trying to climb on top of her

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Possibly they are just testing each other’s limits – my male was almost a year when I got Penny – so he was a bit more mature.

Gelato is still very young also so I have a feeling this is just normal juvenile play – they will learn in time what is acceptable and what isn’t. They are still learning their limits.

Just keep doing what you are doing and I’m sure they will iron it out – if he made her bleed would be something for you to be concerned with but he isn’t using his full strength (we all know what that feels like :D ).

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Awe good - See she is ironing it out already :D - I think the sexual play is normal also - they are both young - she holds all the cards in regards to that one :D

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for confirming what I was beginning to think. He did not make her bleed at all, not even a mark on her little toe. . . I bet you are right, and he is testing her limits. He is probably also learning to interact with another bird since he has not been around one for many months.

He tired her out though, she is curled up in my blanket asleep while he is still playing. I think I'll put her to bed soon, for now I'm going to watch her sleep bundled up in my blanket. Normally she is the one wanting to stay up later and he is in bed earlier.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Mine have been this way for years. 98% of the time they are sweet and innocent. 2% of the time they are at war. The problem is that their beaks are sharp and periodically they will draw blood on each other (feet or other body parts). My birds are still intact but I have heard of cases where a toe gets bitten off.

This is one of the reasons that I'm not as entusiastic on the idea of everyone getting mates for their birds.

That said, catfish, I hope your birds iron out their pecking order quickly and you don't have any real problems.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well during this evening things began to calm down. He stopped going after her toes after she thumped him and gave him an ear full. He then proceeded to groom her and make friendly.

It's going to be a good few months before I even put them in the same cage together, so hopefully by that time they will have figured things out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts