Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I've been reading up on Parrotlets and I've been interested in getting one. The thing is, I work 40 hours a week and I'm scared that he will still get lonely. So, if I get 1 parrotlet, I might get another so he won't be so lonely. But if I do, will they be able to live in a cage together? I've heard mixed reactions.

If I bond with one for a little bit and then get a second one, would that be okay? Or is it still best that you get it when they're young? I would still like my birds to bond to me at least a little bit. Or if I got 2 in separate cages, would that help? Even if I got a stacked cage?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Hello. Parrotlets do fine as solitary birds. Having more than one in a cage may cause them to fight, sometimes to the death. It just depends on the individuals. I've had two p'lets at once but they had separate cages and separate playtime. It's fine to get one and then another in a separate cage if you like. I'm not saying they can't have playtime together or live together. They just have to be watched intently. I've mostly had them one at a time. My Sophie entertains herself during the day and is glad to see me when I get home.

You can bond with an older bird. I've done it myself. It's just a matter of earning their trust.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I work 40 hours a week too and as stated - parrotlets really do best as single birds. If you decide to get 2 birds, they should each be in an individual cage, as parrotlets can be aggressive and territorial about them. If you put 2 in together, they would bond to each other and not need you. I really would suggest getting only 1 bird for the best experience for both of you...

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
The advice you are getting is sound!

Pletts can have a fine life in their cage during the day. They do not experience time like we do. Boredom is a human thing. A p'lett will sing, chew on toys, play with toys, etc. Some will sit and eat and preen. It is important that you leave a TV on for the bird to see action or have a radio on to decent music.

When you get home, you must act like the bird is a long lost friend and ask for kisses, etc.. Give them a treat. Take the bird out and spend some time with them. Make it a routine.

Read all the forums on the left of this page. Look through member's past threads and posts, so you can see all the problems you may face as a new owner.

I would only suggest you get one bird . You will have your hands full with one. They are jealous birds and very territorial and have been known too often to kill one another.

Start out with one and get a real good bond with him/her. A male will talk way more often than a female, as a rule.

Let us know what you want to do. We will help you select the right one for you and teach you how to feed and take care of him/her.

David and Ricochet

·
Super Moderator
4,909 Posts
I work plenty of hours a week, and Tumi is quite happy as an only bird. He would KILL me if I brought home a rival (probably literally). I did have a pet fish for a while for him to watch, and he enjoyed that. But he tells me that only one bird is allowed in his home. Parrotlets are not really flock birds, and really just want the world to revolve around them alone. Sharing is not in their vocabulary!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts