Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 months ago, I received Tuki, one year old, from a breeder who had never handled him and left him in a canary cage for his whole life. I had posted on here asking for help with taming him. While we have made SOME progress, I guess I'm just look for reassurance that it will get better. He will now eat out of my hand while in the cage - but only millet spray - lol. And when I first put my hand in the cage he gets flighty and will attempt to run away for a few seconds. If I move slowly he will sit still and that's when he will eat out of my hand. I can also use the same approach for him to let me pet him. I am the only one that is handling and training him right now because I don't want him to be overwhelmed. If my husband tries to do the above, he will fly all over the cage wildly and have nothing to do with him. So I am encouraged by this little progress. I am still taking him out for bonding time, although he fights me on it. I have found that after about 30 seconds of trying to get away from me he will go to one corner at the bottom of his cage and then its okay to pick him up. Sometimes he will bite while I'm pulling him out of his cage and other times he will not. Teaching him to step up has been a challenge. At first I was using my thumb to hold down one of his feet so that he could not try to fly away. And when he successfully stayed on my finger for a few seconds I would praise him and let him go on my chest (where he likes to sit when he is out). After awhile, though, he decided that he was going to try to fly regardless if I was holding his foot or not. And to avoid him hurting himself I had to let go once he started to go. (He IS clipped, but can still fly a little bit to avoid hurting himself in the event of a great escape plan!) Also, at first I would have to hover my hand over him when he was on me to avoid him trying to escape me. Now, once I get him calm by scratching his neck, I don't have to do that and he USUALLY won't try to get away. He does seem EXTREMELY fearful of open spaces and runs to whatever nook or cranny he can find to try to hide. Whether it be under my hair, IN my hair, the nape of my neck or a fold in my t-shirt. While in his cage he seems happier. He has started vocalizing - not just chirps. It sounds like he is talking but I can't figure out for the life of me what he's trying to say. On rare occasions when he's SUPER happy he has resorted to doing somersaults around his perch. It is very funny to watch and I'm HOPING this means he is happy and not in distress. He WILL sit on my shoulder, but like I said, sometimes he gets it in his head he isn't safe and will try to flee. So, I'm hesitant to walk around the house with him there, but would like to so he can get used to it. Some positive things: He will fall asleep on me and once even laid down on his side while I was scratching his neck and fell asleep. He has taken to grooming my fingernails and cuticles, very gently, after he is comfortable being in my hands. He is interacting with me when I talk to him in his cage and talks back. All this progress happened about a month ago and seems to have stalled where it is. I'm contemplating getting another TAME Parrotlet for him not to be so lonely because I'm not sure if he'll make anymore progress. My mom brought over her Sun Conure and they absolutely LOVED each other. We wouldn't let them come into contact physically, but with her travel cage next to his cage, they were right next to each other talking away. And while holding them both outside of their cages next to each other they were trying to groom each other - but we wouldn't let them do it just in case. So, anyone have any encouraging words? Will he stay where he is or open up a little more?? :confused:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
2 months is a very short amount of time.......I've had mine since january and they still don't allow my hands anywhere near them but I'm told it takes a lot longer to tame 2 than a single bird. but I think they have made a lot of progress and hope to continue. so just beware that if you get another one they might bond to each other instead of to you......sounds to me like you have made excellent progress and would continue with what you are doing.......good luck.......

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
We have had Noel for 7 months now, she was also from a breeder and was not tame, she still is not fully tame, when i put my hand in the cage , I tell her I am getting her food and water, she will sit and watch me, I also tell her I am changing her papers, she will still sit and watch, but when I tell her to step up, she flys all over the cage, she will get on my finger when out, but only for about a min, then flys off, i do have her wings clipped, which does help, I am just letting her go at her own pace, she watches me handle the Tiels and does show some interest of them on my shoulder etc, but she is not ready to try that herself, keep working with him, but don't push too hard, it takes time with an older bird..All of a sudden he will start doing more for you, he is just scared..it could take months or a year or more but in time he will come around..

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
I would say that you're making progress, a lot of progress for 2 months. The only thing is not grabbing him or chasing him, it's usually too frightening for them. Of course, once calmed down, they're fine, but they will always remember that before they are out of the cage, it takes minutes of terrifying hands chasing them... so they usually don't want to leave the cage.

But Jinx and Indi does the same thing... doing sommersaults around the perch when they're anxious or excited about something :)

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Gosh, I think you've made a LOT of progress in a very short time. It took my baby at least 2 mo. to let me handle him without drawing blood, tho he would step up. The only thing I would say is if you have the time to spend with him, I wouldn't get another one yet. It seems like once they bond to another bird that is the end of bonding to people. As long as he has lots to "think" about and work on (toys) he probably won't be lonely. Ask around here tho, people with 2 birds may have different opinions than mine.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I agree with everyone 2 months is a short amount of time and sounds like you have already made some progress which is promising. I would keep doing what your doing and he will continue to warm up. Good luck stay patient

1 - 6 of 6 Posts