Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
Just wanted to let you know that Plato & Mya's 1st chick hatched this AM, or last night..not sure, but this morning I heard him, so when Mya came out, I peaked in, and there he was... I am amazed... this is their first clutch....
I will take a picture as soon as possible, and keep you updated!;)
~Angel~

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, so I got a quick pic of the chick today...it's on my webshots link below. It's the first picture in Plato & Mya album... if you enlarge it, you can see the baby in front of Mya, on his back!! His crop is full, so they are doing a good job feeding. He sure makes a lot of noise for a 1 day old...lol.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Wow, I guess thats proof positive that the eggs were indeed fertile :D – that is an amazing photo.

Looks like Mya is a good protective Parrotlet Mom :)

Congratulations - looking forward to hearing the day by day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Congratulations! The pics of the happy couple are adorable. I have a few questions for ya:

How easy was it to pair these two up? How old were each of them when they were introduced? Any particular challenges with them getting acquainted? Did Mya lay eggs prior to meeting Plato? I have some experience with egg-laying 'tiels without partners, but I've never seen any signs with my p'let. Also, at what point did you give them a nest box?

In addition, when you said that you will be "co-parenting," does that mean you will be keeping the entire clutch? How can/will you prevent future mating, in-breeding, etc.? (Sorry for so many questions - but, I'm really interested in learning more about breeding)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies! Yes, both of them are very protective parents!
Wiggletail, to answer your Q's,
They were introduced when Plato was 7 months,and Mya was 4 months. I had Plato first, and wanted to get him a cagemate. I didn't intend on them breeding, and was told by the breeder I got them from (they had different parents) that they wouldn't breed unless I gave them a box.
Well, they lived sided by side for a month, and then they started coming out for "playtime" together... it was instant love. After about another month, they were inseperable, calling non-stop to each other, until I put them in the same cage to live.They did everything together, eating, bathing, playing...and then Plato stated to feed Mya.
They started mating in JAN 07. Plato was a little over a year, and Mya not quite a year old. They mated several times a day,every single day, and in April I gave them a nestbox, which they both entered within minutes. Within 2 weeks, Mya laid her first egg, and then 4 more. I was shocked and amazed, because everything I read about Parrotlets stated they wouldn't breed if there were only 1 pair...that their first eggs probably wouldn't hatch..
Well, no one told these too that! Also, Plato was in the box with Mya the whole time..and still is.. although he comes out more now to eat.
I had cockatiels in the past, and I wanted to breed them. I was pretty unsuccesful at pairing them, and I had only one pair produce live babies.
This time, I wanted companion pets, but I like that they have each other, so I wanted 2. I am thrilled to have the eggs, and hopefully the babies will thrive.
As for co-parenting, that means "helping" the parent birds feed the chicks, but letting them raise them, not "pulling" them from the nest at 2 weeks old. If you look back in the forum, there is a great article about co-parenting.
I will keep posting pics, and let you know when more hatch!
Ohhh, I just peaked in the box, and there is another chick..so now we have 2!! Pics to follow!
Have a great day.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
WOW – Congratulations again to Plato and Mya on their second baby! Sounds like you are going to have a full house soon. Looking forward to the photos.

Do you think if you hadn’t have given them the nest box Mya wouldn’t have laid? I ask because I have a Male and Female – the Male feeds the Female all the time but I house them separate - she is too young IMO for him to “try” anything with .:eek: I don’t want to breed or have chicks but I can tell these two will be going at it when she is older :eek:
Andrea what’s your opinion?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I don't know if she would have laid eggs without the box.... good question. Would they have kept mating 6 times a day?? I'm sure..lol.;)
I am happy they are doing well, and after this clutch, I will take away the box, and then I guess I will see if they strt again. If that is the case, they will live in seperate cages again, and just have playtime together!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hi! My parrotlets never went through an entire reproductive cycle unless I provided a nest box, overfed them good foods and provided the extra daylight (full spectrum) hours. Without these things they exhibited many pair bonded behaviors: regurgitation, preening even copulating, but no egg laying. I don't worry much about housing young parrotlets together IF you do the things needed to prevent the full reproductive cycle. I think it is kinder to house them together, but just do your part to keep them safe. The mating won't hurt her, but of course you don't want to encourage early egg laying.

Pado, You have read this other post about issues affecting reproductive behavior, but I'll link it for anyone else that might be interested:
http://www.talkparrotlets.com/showthread.php?t=476

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is a third baby today... :D . All are doing well, and the one that hatched on Sunday is much bigger than the others. Plato is still in the nest most of the day, and I'm wondering if they will run out of room when the other 2 babies hatch? Do you think this will affect how well they feed the babies? I am a worry wart!!
Andrea, thanks for the info. I will keep them together after the babies have fledged. I will pull the nest box, and just deal with the mating... they are a very happy pair. thanks also for all the info you provide on this forum!
~Angel~

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Congratulations again!!!! – How exciting for you.
I wonder if all 5 will hatch? – by the looks of it, they will :)

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Hi! My parrotlets never went through an entire reproductive cycle unless I provided a nest box, overfed them good foods and provided the extra daylight (full spectrum) hours. Without these things they exhibited many pair bonded behaviors: regurgitation, preening even copulating, but no egg laying. I don't worry much about housing young parrotlets together IF you do the things needed to prevent the full reproductive cycle. I think it is kinder to house them together, but just do your part to keep them safe. The mating won't hurt her, but of course you don't want to encourage early egg laying.

Pado, You have read this other post about issues affecting reproductive behavior, but I'll link it for anyone else that might be interested:
http://www.talkparrotlets.com/showthread.php?t=476
I knew I read that somewhere :D – It’s great to know because I really don’t want babies; I’d end up keeping them all :eek:

I can’t wait to put mine together full time – I’m waiting for my females wings to grow in some – at the moment, she falls like a rock - she is in a smaller cage 18x18x18 right next to his and gets around it very well – my male is in a 32x22x34 cage and on the occasion she does go into his cage she inevitably falls at one point or another – Plus I really want her to be able to move from him should they get into a tiff.

She should be starting her five-month molt within the next month or so :cool:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We now have 4 healthy chicks! The oldest is already 8 days old! Sorry I can't post pictures yet... the parents are very protective, and hide the babies!
Have a great holiday!
~Angel~

1 - 14 of 14 Posts