Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. You have all been so helpful. I think this is the best place to reach out for help. Georgie is absolutely amazing with me. The challenge is I have a relative visiting whom he really likes. This person loves animals, but does not have experience with birds. What happens is Georgie goes to him right away but then climbs his shoulder and bites at his neck. He’s not doing it to be mean. I think he actually thinks he’s grooming but of course they’re a little beaks are sharp. No amount of coaxing can get him off of this person. Special treats or anything. He will turn around and growl and snap. It is literally the only situation in which he acts out. He never bites at me. My gut is telling me for a while this is the person that is going to need to feed him, have millet in their hand as a treat when he comes off of his shoulder, etc. I know he views him as part of the flock. Am I right in thinkingEach person Hass to train the bird separately? If that even makes sense… Also, I do not think he’s being territorial over me. I think he has just picked up a habit and thinks it’s fun. I truly think so. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello. You have all been so helpful. I think this is the best place to reach out for help. Georgie is absolutely amazing with me. The challenge is I have a relative visiting whom he really likes. This person loves animals, but does not have experience with birds. What happens is Georgie goes to him right away but then climbs his shoulder and bites at his neck. He’s not doing it to be mean. I think he actually thinks he’s grooming but of course they’re a little beaks are sharp. No amount of coaxing can get him off of this person. Special treats or anything. He will turn around and growl and snap. It is literally the only situation in which he acts out. He never bites at me. My gut is telling me for a while this is the person that is going to need to feed him, have millet in their hand as a treat when he comes off of his shoulder, etc. I know he views him as part of the flock. Am I right in thinkingEach person Hass to train the bird separately? If that even makes sense… Also, I do not think he’s being territorial over me. I think he has just picked up a habit and thinks it’s fun. I truly think so. Any advice would be appreciated.
Oh wow. Okay, my birdie loves to preen my neck (ouchies). Parrotlets can over preen their mates to the point of plucking(from what I read). My boy even occasionaly tries to groom my freckles (ouchies again). Once he has made a little damage he keeps trying to fix it with more preening. Its not necessarily biting but the tip of his very sharp beak grazing your skin back and forth as he licks you. It does draw blood sometimes and it does hurt, sometimes alot. I do a few things. One is try to shift him to another spot away from my neck. He also likes to chew my shirts. He has shredded the shoulders of a few of my tshirts. So I got a cheap throw blanket (I think it was 3-4 dollars) from walmart and a bandana or three. All for as cheap as I could find. I cut a slit in the center and wear it like a poncho. Keeps him from shredding what I am wear and keeps the poo off. Also I wrap the bandana around my neck (sometimes 2 bandanas) to give him something else to focus on and protect my neck. You could also try some tea/dish towels. Also having your guest wearing the bird feeding millet is a good idea. After he has a good feed he may want to drift off to sleep.

I am not an expert but these are things that help me keep being painfully over-loved by my boy. I hope it helps

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Georgie and Georgie's Mom,

Georgie does look at other humans as part of the flock. One thing that p'letts like to do is fly to the human and land as far up as they can. Shoulders are a perfect spot to show the human who is dominant! When they get on the shoulder, they want to be in control and can and will show you a bite or two! Georgie is starting to show you who is boss.

The new human is new to Georgie and he will try to show the human a pecking order, so to speak. He is not bonded with the new human and will most likely only bond with you. Since he is new to all of you and you have been the one he spends the time with him, it makes sense that he will bond with you and see the new human as something to dominate.

You said he does not bite you, so it makes perfect sense that you must be the one to be the distracter when Georgie bites the new human. You said that when he is on the new human's shoulder , there is no way to get Georgie off without a battle. If he doesn't bite you, then you must be the logical choice to get Georgie off . You must distract him somehow. This is why it is so important to teach your bird to step up! My birds have stepped up automatically when ever I offer my finger as a perch. They do it without thinking about it. Please work with stepping up. Have georgie step up as many times as you can and give Georgie praise and treats and kisses and a whole bunch of loving each time he steps up!

As long as you let Georgie be dominant over the new human, he will probably only get worse... and eventually with you too!

You are doing great with him! They are rewarding way beyond anything else in your life. You will develop a deep and gratifying love for Georgie! And he will love you back!!

David

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Georgie and Georgie's Mom,

Georgie does look at other humans as part of the flock. One thing that p'letts like to do is fly to the human and land as far up as they can. Shoulders are a perfect spot to show the human who is dominant! When they get on the shoulder, they want to be in control and can and will show you a bite or two! Georgie is starting to show you who is boss.

The new human is new to Georgie and he will try to show the human a pecking order, so to speak. He is not bonded with the new human and will most likely only bond with you. Since he is new to all of you and you have been the one he spends the time with him, it makes sense that he will bond with you and see the new human as something to dominate.

You said he does not bite you, so it makes perfect sense that you must be the one to be the distracter when Georgie bites the new human. You said that when he is on the new human's shoulder , there is no way to get Georgie off without a battle. If he doesn't bite you, then you must be the logical choice to get Georgie off . You must distract him somehow. This is why it is so important to teach your bird to step up! My birds have stepped up automatically when ever I offer my finger as a perch. They do it without thinking about it. Please work with stepping up. Have georgie step up as many times as you can and give Georgie praise and treats and kisses and a whole bunch of loving each time he steps up!

As long as you let Georgie be dominant over the new human, he will probably only get worse... and eventually with you too!

You are doing great with him! They are rewarding way beyond anything else in your life. You will develop a deep and gratifying love for Georgie! And he will love you back!!

David
Thanks David! That is great advice! We’ve been following your advice and he’s improving.
Interestingly (although not surprising) my parents visit several times per week, and have since Georgie was young. He gives my mom kisses too. I also take him to their house. The night they came over for dinner…Georgie started accepting my partner (visiting) as part of the flock! Daily improvements are being made. I am working with him a lot on step up and recall. So much fun! He gives me a kiss and says “keeees” in a super high-pitched voice before going to bed. Haha. Love him to pieces! Thanks for your advice!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts