Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health

Your Parrotlet's Health You may ask any questions about your parrotlet's health in this forum.

Notices

“Does this poop look normal?” Guide to Bird Poop

This thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 11878 times.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:43 PM   #1
GracefulWolf
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

GracefulWolf will become famous soon enough

“Does this poop look normal?” Guide to Bird Poop

Hello, everyone! Here’s a poop guide that I hope will help you as much as it has helped me. All these charts were made by Susanne Russo. So please, please leave the credits on the charts if you share them with others. She has many more on her website here: https://www.justcockatiels.net/droppings.html and here is where all the charts are together in their best quality if you want to save them individually: http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=...K6%2FC5g%3D%3D

These are the ones I liked best and thought fit what we all look for when examining our bird’s poops. Please remember, this is a GUIDE. If you suspect your parrotlet (or any other bird) has parasites, a bacterial infection, etc., only a vet can tell you for sure. These just help you to know if their poop looks normal or if something may be wrong. In which case, they need to be seen by an avian vet.

The two charts below this paragraph are my favorite. If you only want two pictures of bird poop on your phone, these are the ones to have. Diet changes their poop a lot and frequently. With our little parrotlets, food travels through them pretty fast. A quick summary of poop changes due to diet: seed – solid and green, pellets – solid and brown or color of the dye, veggies – watery and green, fruits – watery and color of the fruit, balance of everything – solid and dark green or brown.

Birds have random weird poops all the time. If you have one strange poop, don’t panic. Take a picture and set up paper towels beneath where your bird will poop. Watch their poop over the next 2-3 hours and see if it is a consistent change. If they consistently have abnormal poops, then it’s time to get concerned. If the poop immediately goes back to normal after that one strange poop, then you can relax. When in doubt, have a vet check it out!
GracefulWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2018, 02:30 AM   #2
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really nice

Those are fantastic Poo Doo photos! I have not read the links yet but I wonder what should you do if you think your bird is dehydrated? Sometimes I see a greenish ring around Melody dropping but she always has water if course. You think she's just not drinking?

Two things I do know from experience, bathing and eating fruits and vegetables can cause wattery thin poops. Like you mentioned as long as they go back to normal it's fine, but the first watery poo usually freaks people out.

Second is if a bird is stressed it can cause water poo. Tobie gets nervous easily and will drop a little wet one Everytime.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 05:37 PM   #3
Bryan

Parrotlets Owned: 1

Bryan will become famous soon enoughBryan will become famous soon enough

Thanks for posting these...

I was worried about Pip not drinking enough while I was giving him ACV in his water for the week. He has two more days before the week is over but it seems like he is drinking enough water to keep him hydrated. I think I will keep doing these week long ACV cleanses every other month or at least every three months. I have seen people talk about using the ACV all the time in their water but that seems a little excessive to me.

Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote