Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Off Topic > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Talk about anything here! Keep in clean.

Notices

What USPS says about mailing birds

This thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 401 times.

Old 01-09-2020, 07:46 PM   #1
jchurchgirl

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

jchurchgirl is on a distinguished road

What USPS says about mailing birds

So, I'm getting conflicting information, but USPS has directed me to this on their website.
526.4 Adult Birds

526.41 General

Disease-free adult birds may be mailed domestically when shipped under all applicable governmental laws and regulations, including the Lacey Act, the Endangered Species Act (ESA), and regulations of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and any state, municipal, or local ordinances. Mailers must comply with all applicable governmental laws and regulations, including the Lacey Act, the Endangered Species Act (ESA), and regulations of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and any state, municipal, or local ordinances. Mailings must also be compliant with the requirements provided in USPS Publication 14, Prohibitions and Restrictions on Mailing Animals, Plants, and Related Matter, Chapter 5. In addition, each container or package must be marked as required by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service under 50 CFR 14. Adult birds must be properly packaged and able to sustain shipment without food or water because liquids, moisture, and loose foodstuffs can cause damage to the shipping container, other mail, and Postal Service equipment during transport.
526.42 Mailability Requirements

Adult birds are mailable only when sent under the following conditions:
  1. The shipment is mailed using Priority Mail Express service.
  2. Each bird must weigh more than 6 ounces and no more than 25 pounds.
  3. The number of birds per parcel must follow the container manufacturer limits.
  4. The mailer must secure containers approved by the manager, Product Classification (see 214 for address).
  5. A mailing container must be used that is constructed by a USPS–approved manufacturer listed on the PostalPro website
jchurchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2020, 08:31 PM   #2
Bryan

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Bryan will become famous soon enoughBryan will become famous soon enough

I think that yes some places use USPS to ship birds but if it is done legal or not I don't know. Back when I was looking for my parrotlet there was not many options so I did look online at some of the breeders there. I emailed one place and asked them how the shipping worked because they offered free shipping included in the price back then. They had told me that the bird would be sent to my door so I assume it was with USPS. Luckily I ended up finding a pet shop an hour away on facebook and that is where I got Pip from.

If you are wondering for when you breed/sell your own birds just use the airlines you are not paying for the shipping anyway. If you are wanting to buy birds then find someplace that ships them through the airways. I know my bird toy order was lost last year and was never to be seen again. I would hate to see that with a live bird.

There is a post on another bird forum about a quaker parrot that was shipped USPS and was lost for a bit. That ended up working out in the end but it is just not worth the risk... imo

Last edited by Bryan; 01-13-2020 at 09:14 PM..
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 08:38 PM   #3
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Question

It sounds like you can't ship parrotlets at all, according to the rules!

The bird must weigh 6 ounces. P'letts do not weigh near this much. One and a half ounce is the largest parrotlet I have seen.( 29 grams is one ounce and Ricochet weighs 35 grams right now,,,this is 1.5 ounces.

PLUS---You can't ship with water or foods due to damaging the shipping containers.
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2020, 05:29 PM   #4
JackieRTP

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

It is illegal to ship parrotlets via USPS. No ETHICAL breeder will use USPS for shipping pet birds. The rules are meant for shipping birds such as chickens.
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 06:24 PM   #5
jchurchgirl

Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

jchurchgirl is on a distinguished road

I called the post master... he said, very clearly... "You can't ship a parrot!"
jchurchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:32 PM   #6
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

I am glad you called! It is almost a death sentence to send parrots by mail. Especially this time of year! I wouldn't send any bird in any container to any place this time of year!

Dave
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:58 PM   #7
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really nice

We have had this come up several times on the forum, and it's absolutely illegal and dangerous and in no way do we want to condone this action on the forum. Thank you to everyone who helps keep up awareness about this issue because many people are decived into thinking otherwise and have had birds suffer injury and death due to this illegal practice. Airlines United and Delta are the only approved legal and regulated petsafe programs for parrot transport.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote