~~~A Miracle::Going To Grandma's House On Christmas Eve~~~ - Talk Parrotlets Forums

User Menu
Forum Home
Parrotlet Gallery
Today's Posts
Register now!
Search

Advanced Search
Forums
Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Housing

Do It Yourself

Parrotlet Pictures

Your Parrotlet's Health

Parrotlet Diet

Training and Bonding

Parrotlet Breeding

Parrotlet Articles

Parrotlet Rainbow Bridge

Parrotlet Vet Listing

Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Off Topic > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Talk about anything here! Keep in clean.

Notices

~~~A Miracle::Going To Grandma's House On Christmas Eve~~~

~~Down The Mountain Side We Went!~~

This thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 112 times.

Old 12-24-2019, 10:49 PM   #1
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Exclamation ~~~A Miracle::Going To Grandma's House On Christmas Eve~~~

I have just discovered a yellowing newspaper article about my immediate family, dated December 24th, 1954, just outside of Charleston West Virginia. It was in the bottom of the first old box I opened up that was in the pile of boxes from my mother's estate.
DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES? REAL,TRUE MIRACLES?

I was 15 months old at the time and my brother was 4 and a half. We were going to grandmother's house on Christmas Eve and the snow was falling heavily.

The article tells of a car accident on the side of Bolt Mountain, in West Virginia. The car was my father's car and me, my brother and mother were in it with him. As we came to a curve in the road that curved to our left, another car was heading towards us!

The other car was in OUR lane So my father got as far to his right as he could without going over the side of the mountain. The other car sideswiped us and knocked us over the side!

Down we went! We tumbled over and over and over. We rolled down 200 feet and landed upside down in a half-frozen creek bed. If we rolled two more times, we would have fallen 1,200 more feet onto some boulders. No doubt, we would have perished! Bolt mountain is 4,500 or so feet tall.

We were in a 1949 Ford Sedan ( I think..The article didn't say , but my dad told the family it was a Ford).
The creek was 12 inches deep and we broke through the ice. My dad was pinned behind the steering wheel in an upside down position. My brother was thrown out the shattered back window and was found standing on the side of the creek bed, soaking wet. The presents were floating in the water and broken ice in the creek.

My mother had me in her lap. There were no seat belts or car seat carriers. She told me that she threw me down on the floorboard and landed on top of me to protect me. She was on her elbows and knees and they got bruised real bad and she had a back injury and neck injury. ( Back then, the cars had a lot of space in front of the front seat on the floor). He head and neck went under the dashboard and got pounded! I was not hurt at all! Neither was my brother. My dad broke his wrist. These were the only injuries.

The volunteer firemen came to the rescue. The had to put ropes down the side of the mountain to get to the car. They tied a rope to the car and to a tree 200 feet up the mountain. There was about ten yards of flat land before it opened up into a gully that was 1,200 feet deep. If that creek and land had not been there, I would not be writing this today! Talking about miracles!

The firemen got us out okay. They had to use an axe to chop through the metal door hinges to get my dad out. We were checked out at the hospital and released the next morning.

The man who hit us had his girlfriend sitting next to him and he told the police he got distracted. He was arrested for drunk driving. My father showed up at court and the man was sent to 6 months in jail. As they took him away, my father went over to him and knocked a couple of the man's teeth out of his mouth with his good hand. ( My dad was 6 foot 2 inches and 240 pounds) He ate a lot. I am fat, like him, except I am 5 foot 8.

The judge told him not to do that again or else he would be arrested, too! The judge smiled...

Every time I hear that Christmas song, " Over the mountain and through the woods, to grandmother's house we go...." it reminds me of that accident. I do not remember the accident. My mother said I never cried. I was only 15 months old.

My family asked me to write this up and send it to Reader's Digest a few years ago, but I wanted to find the newspaper article on it. Well, I found it! It is yellowed and wrinkled, but readable.

I do believe in miracles. The firemen said it was a miracle that we didn't fall all the way down to mountain.

David and Vicki

David Miller is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2019, 11:32 PM   #2
Bryan

Parrotlets Owned: 1

Bryan will become famous soon enough

It seems like you have had someone watching over you for a long time

Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 12:18 AM   #3
David Miller

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Exclamation

You are not kidding! My life has been weird from early on. Have you ever met your double? I did, and It was weird! When I first got out of high school, my first job was working on a tobacco farm ( where I got shocked by lightning hitting an irrigation pipe).
My second job was delivering furniture for the Montgomery Wards co.( they were like Sears). I had to take a couch to an address, so my coworker and I drove the delivery truck to the address.

I got out of the truck and my coworker opened up the back while I went to the house door and rang the doorbell. An old lady opened up the door and took one look at me and said, " Larry. I didn't know you delivered furniture! " I said, " Excuse me, mam, but my name is David Miller. Not Larry! "

She did not believe me! I couldn't convince her I was David. It didn't help when my coworker, who had overheard her calling me Larry, said, " Come on, Larry, we have to get moving! "
He thought it was funny, then the lady said, " I knew you were Larry! You live next door!"

I looked at my coworker and told him I would take care of him later!

I pleaded with the lady. I showed her my name on my shirt and my driver's license. She said, " OH my! You look exactly like Larry, my next door neighbor! "

She called him and he came over......We just stared at each other for a few seconds. I looked him over and he looked me over. If there ever was a twin David, it was him! I mean, we looked almost identical! His hair was the same color, but longer. He was 2 months younger than me. He had blue and gold eyes, like mine.( My eyes are blue with gold trim around the pupil) . He had a scar on his middle finger, just like mine! Left hand! WE were the same height. He was born in Tennessee and I was born in West Virginia. My arms were bigger.
I'm telling you, it was weird. That lady was right! We did not like the same music. I like surfing music, he was a Rolling Stones music lover. He smoked, I did not. He could pass for me and I for him.

Our family could tell us apart, though. There were subtle differences. I took down his name and address and he took down mine. I didn't have a phone and he didn't either. I moved to Orlando not long after that and he moved to California. I do not know where he is now. I wish we had a camera! There were no cell phones back then, either.

I would love to hear from him, but I can't remember his last name.

My life is full of weird. My father always told me I was born at the wrong time here on earth. It was like I was out of phase with my surroundings. My wife has witnessed things in my life that she just looked at me and shook her head because it was so weird.

I live in the Twilight Zone.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2019, 10:35 AM   #4
kpenguins48

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

kpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of light

Send a message via Yahoo to kpenguins48
You always have such interesting stories Dave. We're glad you're here! Merry Christmas.

The Little Prince
kpenguins48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 05:26 PM   #5
Bigboy

Bigboy is on a distinguished road

Do da do do. Do da do do. The theme song for the Twilight Zone. Wow you are some spooky guy! I simply LOVE your stories, and the way you write them, makes them truly come to life! Do da do do, Do da do do.
Bigboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 09:08 PM   #6
David Miller

Thumbs up

Thanks! I showed my wife this thread and she and I started talking about several other weird and strange things that had happened to me. When we got married, she became included in the weird and strange things that surrounded my life.

I wrote a separate diary to go along with my life journal that I kept up. The diary was a compilation of all the weird things that I could remember that happened to me. Also, when I used to go to the Miller reunions in Racine, West Virginia every 3 years, relatives would come to me and tell me about what they remembered of the weird things that happened to me. I learned of things that I had forgotten about.

I called the diary, " The Black Cloud That Follows Me ". The first sentence in the diary is, " I am Murphy's Law! " ( it is an unwritten law that states, " If anything could go wrong, it will and does ! " ).

I will bet if the forum members thought hard enough, they would remember some things that went wrong out of the blue, in their lives.

Dave