Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Off Topic > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Talk about anything here! Keep in clean.

Notices

~~~~My Worst Mother's Day Gift Ever!~~~~

~~My Story Of The Gift Was Printed In The Newspaper~~

This thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 267 times.

Old 12-17-2019, 11:55 PM   #1
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Exclamation ~~~~My Worst Mother's Day Gift Ever!~~~~

Remember the other day when I told you all that I opened an old box from my mother's estate and I found some old stories that I had written many, many years ago? Well, I read through a bunch of my stories and my diary ( journal) pages and I found my mother's first wedding ring that my father gave her in 1949, the year they got married!

These stories and things were kept by my mother as special keepsakes. A little bit of this and a little bit of that made up a pretty nice collection of what I call, artifacts. There were several of my stories in this box and I had forgotten about them. Some stories were written when I was 10 years old!

Here's one story that I wrote to the local newspaper when I was 10 years old and it was printed in the newspaper. The newspaper editors asked their readers for unusual Mother's Day gift stories and mine was printed. I remembered this story, once I started to read it. I love the fact that I found my original hand written story in this " Time Capsule " old box.

Here it is.....by the way...if you are squeamish, do not read it....haha.

~~~~~~~~~~~" A DRIED AND FLAT FROG !!! "~~~~~~~~~~~~

" The absolute worst gift I ever gave my Mom on Mother's Day has to be the dried out and flat frog I found on a hot and dusty roadway.

I was 10 years old at the time and as any boy will tell you, icky stuff like bugs, bones and dead animals and dried up fishing worms were treasures to brag about! I was an average 10 year collector and kept my pockets full of the many things I found dead. My special trophy was Frankie the Frog! It was very special because he was so flat and dried out after being run over by a car or truck tire and sun bleached.

My Mom always hated wash day when she had to wash me and my brother's play clothes. I remember her yelling for us to come and clean out our pockets! She learned not to put her hands in our pockets.

When Mother's Day rolled around, I realized that I had no money to buy Mom a gift. So, after serious thought and at least one sleepless night, I decided to give Mom my most prized possession, Frankie! It really was a difficult decision. I carried him around in my pants pocket everywhere I went.

I wrapped him in a page of newspaper and covered the newspaper with construction paper and glued it so it would not open up by itself. I wrote " Happy Mother's Day " on it and gave it to her.

The big, proud moment came and I gave her the gift, right in front of my brother and father. When she opened up the gift, she wouldn't touch Frankie, but smiled and gave me a big hug! She made me feel special by saying, " I'll keep this forever!" "

This story was printed in the newspaper in 1963, when I was 10 years old.

For me to find it in my Mother's keepsake box after all these years made me feel real good.

Oh, about Frankie....I didn't find him in the box. Darn it! I wonder what she did with him?

David

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2019, 10:04 AM   #2
PeggyK

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

PeggyK will become famous soon enough

For sure your mama cherished the love of her 10 year old son. As for Frankie....he must be at the “dried out, flat frog” rainbow bridge!
PeggyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:42 PM   #3
kpenguins48

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

kpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of light

Send a message via Yahoo to kpenguins48
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyK View Post
For sure your mama cherished the love of her 10 year old son. As for Frankie....he must be at the “dried out, flat frog” rainbow bridge!
Ha ha PeggyK!

The Little Prince
kpenguins48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2019, 06:16 PM   #4
Bryan

Bryan will become famous soon enough

See you are already a published author

I loved the story! I can't think of anything off hand but I am sure I gave my parents some kind of crazy gifts before too. Everything seems like such a good idea when we are young.

@Peggy He is probably under the bridge.. hehe

Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 09:26 PM   #5
David Miller

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

We were poor. My father was a teacher and back in the 1960's, it was pretty low.

This is a true story. I did not have money, so Frankie was sacrificed ! I loved that dead froggie!

He is at the Rainbow Bridge! I would like to to think he is under it, like Bryan suggests, but, he was a dumb frog to be playing on an open road to begin with. So, he is probably on top of the bridge, playing in the middle of the road.haha.

Man! He was flat!

David
Old 12-19-2019, 02:31 AM   #6
Pateetchka

Parrotlets Owned: 4

Pateetchka is on a distinguished road

This is hilarious and precious thanks for sharing!

Pateetchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:55 PM   #7
Bigboy

Bigboy is on a distinguished road

Love the story. I want to know what you would have done had you found Frankie in that box! LOL!
Bigboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 09:20 PM   #8
David Miller

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboy View Post
Love the story. I want to know what you would have done had you found Frankie in that box! LOL!

I did think about that! I have two more sealed boxes to look into. The box with some of my childhood stories that I wrote also contained every Birthday, Christmas, Special Occasion, etc., cards that I gave Mom and every letter that I wrote her until a few months before she passed! There are a lot of keepsakes in the box.

I am slowly going through this box. Like I said, I have two more to open up. God knows what I will find. Maybe Frankie the Flat Frog is in one of those boxes. These boxes are like time capsules! I had no idea she kept all of those things from my past.

The last thing I discovered was a file folder with 20 pages of my life journal ( diary) in it! It was dated 2005-2006 and the pages told what my life was all about during that time. The pages started when my Dad died on July 21st, 2005. OMG! It contained my most inner thoughts during that bad time of my life and covered times for bout 7 months after he passed. It is quite revealing. There was even humor in it.

I might write some of it in Chit Chat. It is very good reading!

I do not remember why my Mother had those pages. I guess I gave them to her to read. I have a journal from age 10 until now! I had a very high IQ and some of the things I wrote in the journal are amazing to me. It also has all the special dreams I had that showed me some impressions of future events. There are 16 dreams that I have had in my life that scared the socks off me when I experienced the dreams later in life. I wrote them down throughout my life and when I experienced them, I showed my wife. It is weird. I believe there is another dimension out there, somewhere.

Oh well, I better go.

Later!

Dave
Old 12-22-2019, 06:16 AM   #9
lindav

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

Memories

probably more than one dimension out there, Dave. It is scary and a little difficult to think about it. The paranormal is fascinating to me as I watch a lot of subjects related to it on TV.
It is very unusual to have your mom keeping so much of your childhood memories. What a sweet lady to think that way not wanting to get rid of it.

Have a very happy Christmas Season.
Old 12-22-2019, 06:17 AM   #10
lindav

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

Memories

Loved reading your story.
Probably more than one dimension out there, Dave. It is scary and a little difficult to think about it. The paranormal is fascinating to me as I watch a lot of subjects related to it on TV.
It is very unusual to have your mom keeping so much of your childhood memories. What a sweet lady to think that way not wanting to get rid of it.

Have a very happy Christmas Season.