Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

tips for helping with those itchy pins?

This thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 350 times.

Old 01-22-2020, 11:43 PM   #11
NorthernGannet

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

NorthernGannet is on a distinguished road

Yes I can hold onto and "man handle" (lol!) all of my birds without damaging our relationships in the least. Even the newest guy. But they still don't enjoy it too much, more just toleration, so I prefer to keep it for essential things like nails, etc. Is clearing the pins when they can't essential? hmmm.... but I will start with the beak rubs and see where it leads. The linnie will be a really tough sell as in general the species does not like to be groomed by the human touch (there are plenty of exceptions for sure though!). Luna the p'let should be more receptive.

Thanks for all the replies!
NorthernGannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2020, 10:43 PM   #12
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlehuck View Post
This might sound terrible to some bird owners but I don't give my birds or any creature in my care the option to reject my affection and their need for me to be able to handle them to do their grooming including beaks, toes and pins for the birds.. I have never had a bird, cat, dog, horse or fish that I did not bond with on day one. They do not have an option to dismiss me given that I am their only caretaker, provider, mom, doctor, chef nutritionist, groomer, cleaner, entertainer and best friend. Consequently, I expect them to allow me full access and they do. I am the boss of them and they cooperate whether they like it or not. For these reasons, they love it and love me. They are not the boss; be assertive in a loving and confident manner and quietly explain to them what you are doing and that everything will be alright.
I understand your point and to some degree agree, but much prefer the coaxing, bribery, convincing options. My guys were rescues. Emotionally, behaviorally, physically damaged, fearful, neglected little things. True I could have forced the issue and gave them a form of what life had already in their life. I suspect I would have had a poorer result than I ended up with.

Given that it took a bit, a lot of TLC, understanding and bites, but I ended up with a healthy, sassy, spirited little thing that craves affection and tolerates my man handling when the need arises.

Ultimately every pairing / bonding / relationship is different and requires different approaches and methods to achieve results.
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:00 PM   #13
littlehuck

Parrotlets Owned: 3

littlehuck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
Some birds do not respond to this method. It depends on the individual personality of the bird. On a related note, you never should need to groom their nails unless there is a medical issue.
I mentioned the toes because I've had two parrots that had genetic anomalies including overgrowth beak and toenails. My point is that I don't know how on earth one can have a bird, dog, cat, horse, goat, cow, chicken or any pet family member that you will not touch. I clean their living quarters 2 to 3 or more times a day and change out food and water bowls 5 to 6 times a day. All my birds and other animals that I have had needed my attention and needed my touch. It is important that you can inspect their little bodies to make sure that they are alright. I rescued a parrotlet (littlewing) He only had one wing and was terribly neglected when I got him. He was afraid and had the angry bird face but when he found out that he did not have to protect himself from humans and that I was safe, kind and fun, he became relaxed in my hands and became very fond of being loved
Old 01-29-2020, 11:20 PM   #14
littlehuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
To touch or not to touch.....that is the question!

Littlehuck- your method is usually a good method. I had to touch many anti-human liking birds in my lifetime. In every case, the difficult bird bonded with me right away. Holding onto the bird, not grabbing in a harsh way, is sometimes needed to get the bird over the instinctive fear of hands.

I had a budgie that was sick the first week I had him. He hated me to no end, but I had to administer liquid medicine to him. I grabbed him ever so gently and gave him his medicine as directed. On the third day, he openly allowed me to hold him in my hand. He bonded right after that.

There was a forum member who tried for over 6 months to get their bird to step up and it never stepped up until she got fed up and gently grabbed her bird a couple of times. It worked! The bird began to bond. It can work, but we need to try other ways first.

My first cousin learned to jump from a plane. The first time, he refused because he had a doubt in his mind. The next weekend, he did make that first jump and he has made thousands since. He overcame the instinctive fear on the second day. Maybe this is why some p'letts refuse to bond until they are forced or they face being held.

I had many budgies who wouldn't bond until I held onto them a few times.Then, they were the best friends! You have to be careful! It might not work!

David and Ricochet

Thank you, David for your kindness and understanding about my hands on interaction with the birds. I had a long history with training and endurance racing and companionship with horses and to me it is the same as the birds except they are just a wee bit smaller. I had to do a daily head to toe and everything in between because my horses would get ticks from the trail and tiny pebbles in their frog. If you didn't catch and take it out they could go lame. My touching was the loveline and lifeline to all my animal companions. Funny thing is that they demand my attention and in the barn all the horses would vie for my attention. The physical contact gives them comfort and more confidence in life
enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpSG...&index=26&t=0s
Old 01-29-2020, 11:35 PM   #15
littlehuck

Quote:

Littlehuck- your method is usually a good method. I had to touch many anti-human liking birds in my lifetime. In every case, the difficult bird bonded with me right away. Holding onto the bird, not grabbing in a harsh way, is sometimes needed to get the bird over the instinctive fear of hands.

I had a budgie that was sick the first week I had him. He hated me to no end, but I had to administer liquid medicine to him. I grabbed him ever so gently and gave him his medicine as directed. On the third day, he openly allowed me to hold him in my hand. He bonded right after that.

There was a forum member who tried for over 6 months to get their bird to step up and it never stepped up until she got fed up and gently grabbed her bird a couple of times. It worked! The bird began to bond. It can work, but we need to try other ways first.

My first cousin learned to jump from a plane. The first time, he refused because he had a doubt in his mind. The next weekend, he did make that first jump and he has made thousands since. He overcame the instinctive fear on the second day. Maybe this is why some p'letts refuse to bond until they are forced or they face being held.

I had many budgies who wouldn't bond until I held onto them a few times.Then, they were the best friends! You have to be careful! It might not work!

David and Ricochet

One more on the importance of touch ...animals need it with eachother and recognize this affection with humans as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-i4...st=WL&index=24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCRu...st=WL&index=13
Old 01-29-2020, 11:45 PM   #16
littlehuck

Quote:

David and Ricochet

Last one for this link ..The touch is the knowing they belong ..I got a dose of hate about this but they don't want to be banished like furniture They love love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mtdGKkW2Hg