Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Breeding

Parrotlet Breeding If you're interested in breeding your parrotlets, this is the place for you!

Notices

Possibly Laying an Egg

This thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 124 times.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:11 PM   #1
PippinHarrison

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

PippinHarrison is on a distinguished road

Possibly Laying an Egg

So my Pippin is a 6 year old female. I think she is trying to lay an egg and I Am Freaking Out.

She has been acting super cuddly for the past month and was down in the bottom of her cage 3-4 days ago tearing up her news paper (which she NEVER does). I started watching her more closely. She has been straining more that normal to poop and has been taking Giant poops for 2 days. Came home from work to day and her bottom is super swollen and looks like she has plucked feathers from around the area.

I am a first time pet bird owner and I'm TERRIFIED that she is egg bound but none of the avian vets are open and the only 24 hour clinic is an hour away.

I have no Idea how long labor last or if she has already started. I am just so so scared that she is gonna die from this. How long do I have to get her to a clinic? When do I know she's in danger and not gonna lay the egg her self?

I'll take any help I can... I am so so scared.
PippinHarrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2020, 08:35 PM   #2
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Wink

Make sure she can get to water and food. If she is staying on the bottom of the cage, keep it clean and comfortable as you can. You need to have a solid cage bottom, like a layer of paper towels or newspaper. Let her shred as much tissue or paper towel as you can.
You are wise to be concerned. Today is Thursday and the weekend is coming up fast, so if I were you, I would definitely find a way to the clinic, Friday, even if you have to sit there all day long.

This time of year is Springtime. It is wise to not handle any hen too much because the hormones get easily aroused.

Google or You Tube "small parrot egg bound videos" or something to that effect. Keep us posted.

Dave and Ricochet

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:05 PM   #3
PippinHarrison

Thank you so much for answering! I've got her somewhere warm and quiet and dark. We've never had this come up so I didn't even think about the time of year.

I am getting Her to a vet tomorrow for sure but I'm scared that she is already egg bound.

I don't know the normal egg laying time line. From the swollen abdomen time and faster breathing to eggs coming out. Should this last a day or a few hours? When do I know the labor is going on too long?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2020, 09:39 PM   #4
David Miller

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

From what I read over the years in this forum, being egg bound is something that is never the same for each bird, but after re-reading your thread, Pippin is getting close to laying the egg. I hope some other forum members get in on this. People have been glued to their TV sets and worried about the Corona-19 virus and not looking in this forum as much right now.
Look to the left of this page and read some of the forums, like Parrotlet Articles and P'lett Breeding and P'lett Health. Maybe there is something about egg bound hens.
TRY Google or You Tube. The last time we had a member going through this, she got on You Tube Videos and found several sites that tell you what to do with your p'let when having trouble being egg bound. I will try to find a video for you, but I have a lot to do tonight.

I do know that you can help your bird. I remember this from previous suggestions.....Get some mineral oil or (vegetable oil) and smear it on Pippin's vent. You can even take a Que tip and put some oil inside the vent, but not too far. Look at her bottom and see if you see the crowning of the egg. If you do, then try to apply the mineral oil on the egg and try to push some oil along the egg shell where it touches her vent. Be careful..DO NOT crush the egg or break it. Keep the area saturated with oil. In any case, whether you see the egg or not, put oil in/around the vent.
Do this right away.

I will try to get back with you as soon as I can.

Dave and Ricochet
Old 03-26-2020, 11:46 PM   #5
PippinHarrison

Thank you so much! I was able to find that thread as well finally, but your taking the time to answer me has made me feel less alone. I tried the oil and she climbs alm over the cage when I take her out and put her back in but she is sleeping in her travel cage now and I don't know if that is a good thing or not.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:04 PM   #6
PippinHarrison

We got her to the vet this morning. Well my mom helped me and took her so I wasn't able to hear everything that was said.

From my understanding they are going to give her something to help with contractions and lubricate the vent to see if that will be enough, if not they will have to remove it. They are gonna call me this afternoon.

I am still really nervous but the Vet didn't seem like she was needing to be rushed. She is eating and drinking and crawling all over her cage but she doesn't seem to be pushing or trying to.

Thank you so so much for all your information!
Old 03-27-2020, 01:06 PM   #7
PippinHarrison

By crawling I mean all over the bars like she normally does. She rest at the bottom of her cage more but is still being active
Old 03-27-2020, 07:20 PM   #8
PippinHarrison

Just wanted to let you know that Pippin went to the vet this morning but ended up passing the egg all on her own a couple hours later.

She is currently back home on a much stricter diet and daylight schedule for a while!

Thank you again for all your help!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200327_165936_1585351187136.jpg (89.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 03-27-2020, 09:00 PM   #9
David Miller

Thumbs up

I am so proud of you! You handled this in a great way. You reached out to us and got a response that help calm you down! A lot of the time, it is such a relief to have other people involved, even if it is just encouragement.

Remember, your Pippin is sexually active now, even though she has no mate. You can handle her and play with her, but...do not tickle her below the neckline on her chest or bottom or wings or tail. You can pet her and preen her on her head, but do not get her too excited to where she lets loose her hormones.

Of all I read about single female p'letts laying eggs, it is the touching that starts it all. Some females will lay eggs every year no matter what you do and don't do. If you have one like that, it is wise to make sure she has plenty of calcium in her diet and proteins, too! Finely crush up a hard boiled eggshell ( real fine) and dry it off, then let her eat as much as she wants out of a food bowl or dish. Put the remains in a plastic bag and store it in the fridge. It will stay fresh for a few days. Heck, chop up the hard boiled shell-less ( peeled) egg and let her eat it.

Give her an almond every day. If she won't touch it, chop it up a little. Give her a fresh broccoli floret stuck between her cage bars and let her eat on this all day. It won't spoil. It may wilt, but not spoil that day. Do this every day or every other day. These foods will give calcium and protein and all kinds of vitamins.

Bake or broil a chicken breast. Chop up ( finely) a piece about the size of a quarter and give this to her a couple times a week. If she is an egg layer, then these foods will help her maintain average sized eggs so she wont get so egg bound. ( you can store the chicken breast in the freezer. Store it cooked in one inch size pieces, then take a piece out when needed and thaw in the microwave for one minute on medium power).

I hope this helps.

David and Ricochet