Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

Has anyone owned a Green Rumped Parrotlet?

Not a green pacific!!!

This thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 279 times.

Old 03-26-2020, 03:26 PM   #11
Chuck

Parrotlets Owned: One
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Chuck will become famous soon enough

Smile

Hi Joeyd!
I've had Stanley (actually, he's had me) for the past seven years. He is precious and loves to be cuddled. However, he can be temperamental at times, and still tries to bite me when removing/filling his feed dish. He does need his beak trimmed once a month (I take him to my avian vet for this). Not a high price to pay for this little life that brings such joy to mine! He truly enjoys the human interaction (I have him in hand at least two hours each day).
You can't go wrong with a G'Rump. The love you give him/her will be returned many times over
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2020, 05:19 PM   #12
JackieRTP

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlehuck View Post
Perhaps try a parakeet or a budgie. They don't pluck and are very smart and cute.

Parakeets can pluck their feathers as well. Parakeets do make great pets though.
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:33 PM   #13
Joeyd

Joeyd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlehuck View Post
My Cowboy is a 7 year old Green Rump Parrotlet who I got from a breeder in Pennsylvania. He was a baby but a total rescue and intervention. From the beginning, he had sever genetic defects including overgrown beak disease. COWBOY HAS PLUCKED NAKED AND BITES HIS SKIN TO BLEEDING SINCE HE WAS 6 MONTHS OLD.

Cowboy made Kai look like a fully feathered bird. Not joking. I have spend thousand on vet bills; every remedy known to avian science and every healthy food imaginable and nothing changes. Green Rumps are PROLIFIC pluckers. He just got over a 6 month bout of Aspergillus and he pulled through. I love Cowboy and I am used to his totally naked state but I never get used to him biting into his own flesh.

I know that you had a hard time handling Kai's plucking so if you don't want to live through the same heartache, I would recommend that you to AVOID getting a green rump. THere are no new clutches (too early) and just do your research and wait until the right time and the right companion. Maybe not even a caged bird. Perhaps try a parakeet or a budgie. They don't pluck and are very smart and cute.

Man that's a bummer. The plucking is really the part where I truly struggle with getting another parrotlet. I was in the boat of never getting another parrotlet but they really do grow on you. I felt like with Kai I kinda didn't line up the best owning him. Coming from a lovebird Kai was extremely calm and not playful at all, which I really love now but not at the time. Then when I got him to stop being a velcro bird and much playful he started to pluck and it was extremely hard for him to focus on the stuff I finally got him to play with. I also really love how small parrotlets are and the much easier cleanup & not having to poop every 5 minutes.

Budgies and parakeets just don't do it for me. I went to check out Budgies but they just do nothing. For parakeets I guess the one that I do really like is the Lineolated Parakeet. I was trying to find some pics of them near a lovebird/parrotlet since they do seem a bit bigger. I know that they can get loud but they seem overall to be a quiet bird which is great.

Really the only birds I would be interested in are the lovebird, parrotlet and lineolated parakeet. I'm really not looking for any other bird at all.
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2020, 12:42 PM   #14
Joeyd

Joeyd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Hi Joeyd!
I've had Stanley (actually, he's had me) for the past seven years. He is precious and loves to be cuddled. However, he can be temperamental at times, and still tries to bite me when removing/filling his feed dish. He does need his beak trimmed once a month (I take him to my avian vet for this). Not a high price to pay for this little life that brings such joy to mine! He truly enjoys the human interaction (I have him in hand at least two hours each day).
You can't go wrong with a G'Rump. The love you give him/her will be returned many times over
Does your bird have something wrong with it to where it needs beak trimming?

That's good to know about the human interaction. I always want my birds to be with as many people as possible. My lovebird Kiwi absolutely loved guys(women not so much) & Kai only was fine with like 25% of people or maybe less. But I always try to get other people to be playful with my birds so that they end up being less afraid of hands. Being older now with less friends Kai really didn't get that chance too much.

I hope this Corona Virus gets a bit better by summer. By the looks of it I'll be lucky to even get a bird by this summer if this virus keeps up. All the new clutches should be around in the next few months too so hopefully I don't miss out.