Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health

Your Parrotlet's Health You may ask any questions about your parrotlet's health in this forum.

Notices

Parrot doodle gut therapy?

A Parrotstein ( vs. Frankenstein) Exchange

This thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 270 times.

Old 03-12-2020, 11:15 PM   #1
littlehuck

Parrotlets Owned: 3
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

littlehuck will become famous soon enough

Unhappy Parrot doodle gut therapy?

Does anyone know if you can you take healthy parrot poop from one parrot to feed a little to a sick parrot to help their gut? I saw this done on a Nat Geo Wild TV show named Dr. K's Exotic Animal ER. Dr. K treats Parrots and exotics. She had a very sick blue and gold Macaw patient who was misdiagnosed and was given antibiotics for over a year. The Macaw was so weak and lost his gut flora. Dr. K made a shake from her blue and gold Macaw's healthy poop and syringe fed it to the sick Macaw and the bird was totally healed.

My parrotlet Nunu has been very sick and on and off antibiotics for a year and I was wondering if you can do the same for a parrotlet? I can't find anything on doodle therapy for parrots and was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of this type of therapy before I try a Dr. Frankenstein remedy.
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2020, 09:27 AM   #2
Bryan

Parrotlets Owned: 1

Bryan will become famous soon enough

Why not just get some probiotics? I am sure your vet could recommend something or just google it. I did read on another bird forum that Aviculture is a good one and is what a few people over there use and recommended by their vet.

http://www.avi-culture-2.com/shop.html

I have never seen any article about feeding bird poop like that but seems like you would get bad stuff in with any good that might come of it.. idk

Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 03:23 PM   #3
JackieRTP

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

I agree with Bryan in that I would try probiotics in your situation. I have seen it mentioned that if you are unable to obtain avian probiotics in certain cases (like you live in a country where it is unavailable), that you can even use children's probiotics.
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2020, 08:44 PM   #4
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Try to send an e-mail to Dr. K. and ask your question. She may answer you! I watch her show and when Bogie was sick, I got on her web page. She had all kinds of things on this page. There was even a place where I could sign up to get an appointment ( in her office in South Florida). I live in Orlando and she is about 3 hours from me. I was thinking of taking Bogie there, but he was so sick and feeble. I did not want to chance it.

It is worth a try! She changes her web page often.

David and Ricochet
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:59 PM   #5
littlehuck

Parrotlets Owned: 3

littlehuck will become famous soon enough

I tried avi-culture and benebac for birds but they had no benefit. I was told that many products that are sold for pets are low quality that includes bird probiotic and it is best to go for the human grade probiotic.
https://forums.avianavenue.com/index...arrots.143303/

I have been using Bio-k for myself since 2007 and that works very well for me. One of my local Avian vets said that it was a very good product and that I could give it to my birds. It has not seemed to work so well because parrotlets are so small and they have such a fast metabolism that the good bacteria does not work in a severely deprived or compromise gut.

For this reason, Dr. K in Florida uses healthy bird poop therapy but it may be done in a manner that has to be administered by the vet. Since I am not a vet, I don't want to take the risk of giving the wrong amount of bacteria that could harm him. I have been trying coconut butter and healthy food but he is fighting a long infection; fatty tumor disease and was a neglected rescue with genetic defects.

Little NuNu is a sweet boy and I have been trying to find the secret sauce to get his energy back.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:54 PM   #6
Kathy S.

Kathy S. is on a distinguished road

I was told here to try a drop or two of apple cider vinegar in the water.
Kathy S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:39 PM   #7
JackieRTP

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

If one chooses to use apple cider vinegar, it should only be used for short periods as it kills all bacteria in their system - both bad and good. Probiotics are a highly concentrated source of beneficial bacteria. Probiotics are also suggested after a course of antibiotics, since antibiotics also kills both bad and good bacteria.
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:04 PM   #8
Kathy S.

Kathy S. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
If one chooses to use apple cider vinegar, it should only be used for short periods as it kills all bacteria in their system - both bad and good. Probiotics are a highly concentrated source of beneficial bacteria. Probiotics are also suggested after a course of antibiotics, since antibiotics also kills both bad and good bacteria.
Okay, Thank you.
Kathy S. is offline   Reply With Quote