Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

~~I Wish Ricochet Could Have Met The Parrotlet Lady~~~

~~A Review Of Bogie's Journal-2016~~

This thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 167 times.

Old 12-29-2019, 09:52 PM   #1
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Exclamation ~~I Wish Ricochet Could Have Met The Parrotlet Lady~~~

Back when Bogie was 6 years old, a new pet supply store opened up near me. It was a small store that sold pet supplies. It mostly catered to cats and dogs, but about 6 months after it opened up, it started getting more and more supplies for birds, including parrotlets!

When it opened up, I went inside and asked if they were going to carry more bird products in the future and the manager asked me why. I said that there were a lot of bird owners living in the area you just opened up.

He said, " We'll see! Thanks! "

In 6 months, the business had put a lot of supplies into bird things.
When I visited the store, I was happy and ordered some toys for Bogie. This was when I noticed some cards on the counter and they said, " Need Advice about your bird? Call, " The Parrotlet Lady " at ( her phone number).

It was a very plain card, but it had an image of a parrotlet on the front in black and white, along with a phone number. When I called her up, we talked and talked about the parrotlet.

Years ago, on one of my earlier posts in this forum, I mentioned something about " The Parrotlet Lady " and relayed some advice she gave me to the forum.

She told me she was a trained behaviorist for small animals and her strength was in the avian areas of behavior. I was all ears!
She became a reader of our forum and she said she learned a lot about a bird named Bogie, which, I told her that he was my bird. She wanted to meet him and we made arrangements to visit my home, which was 2 miles from her home in East Orlando.

When she came over, I introduced her to my wife,,,,and Bogie! He was in his cage and the cage door was open. I called his name and held out my finger. He came to me and landed on my finger. The lady was amazed and asked if I had trained him to do tricks, I said, " Never! He is not a circus bird, but my friend who saved my life! "
I explained to her why I got Bogie in the first place. She understood.

The Parrotlet Lady ( She wanted to be called by that title...her real name was Cleo, I think!).

Well, she told me more about birds and their behaviors than any book I ever read. She said that the p'lett was relatively new in the USA and it was the most misunderstood bird! In behaviors, the p'lett was a large bird and acted that way, she said.

Vicki, my wife, really liked that woman who was part parrot. Vicki asked Cleo what got her interested in birds. She said, " Do you remember a pet store called, " The Menagerie? " in Orlando back in the early 1980's? " Vicki said she did, because we bought an Australian Terrier from that store and the lady who owned the store sold him to us.

Cleo said, " That was my mother! I grew up in that store! This is why I got interested in animals! " I said that I probably had met her ( Cleo) years ago because I went to that store many, many, times. Anyway, her mother died of breast cancer a long time ago.

Back to Bogie...... Cleo took Bogie on her finger and we all sat down in the eat in part of the kitchen. She said she would read the forum from now on. She really liked the forum because it had a lot of good dialogue and it was a good place for new bird owners to ask questions in which they didn't have to wait months for an answer.

Cleo really helped me out. She came and had dinner with us a few times while Bogie sat on her arm. She got a real kick out of him and Bogie loved her back. She was amazed at Bogie's vocabulary. She asked me how I taught him human words and I explained it to her how I did. She said Bogie was a good bird and she wished she had him.

Vicki, Bogie and I really liked her. I miss that wonderful lady of the avian kind. She passed away several years ago from the same cancer that killed her mother...breast cancer! Vicki is a breast cancer survivor. She got breast cancer 20 years ago and beat it! She has been cancer free ever since chemo and a breast removal. Thank God!

I wish Ricochet would have had a chance to meet Cleo. He would have liked her, I believe. She knew her birds! I will never forget her and I think I will add her to Bogie's book that I am writing. Maybe one day we will all get to meet, somehow, one more time.

David, Vicki, Ricochet

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2019, 10:18 PM   #2
Bryan

Parrotlets Owned: 1

Bryan will become famous soon enough

What a nice lady to have offered her expertise to people in need. I wish we had more pet shops in our area the only one is an hour away but at least we have youtube now where you get to see all kinds of birds everyday.

Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 10:23 PM   #3
David Miller

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

I spend lot of time on You Tube! I get amazed at some of the way birds act!

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2019, 12:00 PM   #4
Bigboy

Bigboy is on a distinguished road

You have written a lovely tribute to the Parrotlet Lady.
Bigboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:51 PM   #5
David Miller

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboy View Post
You have written a lovely tribute to the Parrotlet Lady.
Thanks! She was wonderful! She was one of those people who was part bird!

Dave
Old 12-31-2019, 01:15 PM   #6
kpenguins48

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

kpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of light

Send a message via Yahoo to kpenguins48
Lovely story Dave.

The Little Prince
kpenguins48 is offline   Reply With Quote