Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

Took Kai to the vet last week...

only partial results..

This thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 170 times.

Old 12-22-2019, 11:42 AM   #1
Joeyd

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Joeyd is on a distinguished road

Took Kai to the vet last week...

So after almost a week of waiting for the results I got the call that they didn't take enough blood and I have to bring Kai in again next week for another blood test. But the Stain & Smear tests came back fine with no problems.

At the vet I ended up getting an examination, Gram Stain, Direct Smear, Vitamin A/D/E injection and CBC (Antech) blood test.

So far Kai checked out fine on everything, although the vet did notice something inside his mouth that should be sharp (maybe one of you know since I forgot what it was called) but it is a bit dull that means he may be lacking Vitamin A.

One of the things they suggested is that I have Kai on a diet that is around 70-80% of pellets. I've always had it where it was 80% food with about 20% pellets.I've switched it over the past week and he still seems the same but I hope over time there may be some type of beneficial changes.
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2019, 12:19 PM   #2
rizzie5022

rizzie5022 is a jewel in the roughrizzie5022 is a jewel in the roughrizzie5022 is a jewel in the rough

I hope you feel better that so far nothing is "wrong". We also had that answer, it didnt change Hueys barbering.

I had a moment a while back where I felt bad for him and I increased his seeds a bit. I left the pellets the same. He had no issue eating the extra seed and I didnt see any improvement with the barbering.

He was almost fully feathered about a week ago, he looked so wonderful feathers so bright and pretty. Now he only has 1 1/2 green on his belly.
Old 12-22-2019, 01:05 PM   #3
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really nice

That's good news so far although I know in some ways you probably wish there was something that you could "fix".

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2019, 01:11 PM   #4
Bryan

Bryan will become famous soon enough

Even if you don't get any results on his barbering at least you will know he is getting the best care he can get. I have my Pip on mostly pellets with just a few seeds and millet and he does fine with it.

I did just order Pip the Dr Harvey's parakeet blend of bird seed yesterday because it has the better seeds along with fruit, nuts and vegetable bits mixed in there too. I don't know if he will eat anything over just the seeds and nuts but at least they will be there if he does want them. I will up his seed mix a little with this new mix so he will be getting about 2 tsp of pellets and 1/2 tsp of the new seed mix then a little bit of his millet too ofc. I also leave some Twin Beaks Herb Salad out on his playstand that he does eat from. It's not everyday but he does pick things out of it more than I expected him too.

Last edited by Bryan; 12-22-2019 at 01:18 PM..
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 04:34 PM   #5
Joeyd

Yea at least it puts a bit of my mind to ease about what's going on and hopefully at least find some type of path to see if I can help Kai out a bit. Maybe the bloodtest will show something next week.

It's a toss up either way, in a way I wish they could find something that's curable , then that would be awesome. I wouldn't mind paying extra for meds if I knew they would get rid of this behavior.

I'm still struggling on what to do with Kai. I"m at the point where I'm 90% wanting to keep Kai and 10% I don't. Now the major reason is if he is safe with me. Kai like I said is out the cage alot, just likes to be around the company of people.. And due to him ripping out every feather this can make for a very dangerous environment.

The day before the vet Kai got excited and fell pretty bad. I could instantly tell he was disorientated and held him in the palm of my hands to where I brought him to a quiet and dark room . He started with the head waving, then lifting up one of his feathers while he try to balance himself out (but he was in my palm as I sat down so there was no way he could fall). It takes about 5 minutes for him to go through everything to where he is "fine" again.

The vet said he seemed good the next day but I couldn't afford all the x-rays and stuff like that. But I do worry if I'm cutting Kai's life short by staying here. Some people suggested just to keep him in the cage all the time which I can't do. If I was to do that I would just give him to my friend so Kai could be around other birds & carefully looked on when he was out the cage.

But when I go in this week again I will be talking to the vet a bit more about head trauma.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:35 PM   #6
Joeyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JP3 View Post
That's good news so far although I know in some ways you probably wish there was something that you could "fix".
Yea but we will see how the bloodwork goes next. Also Mrs.Jp3 I tried to send you a message last week but your mailbox is full. Not sure if you deleted messages yet but just wanted to let you know !
Old 12-24-2019, 11:35 AM   #7
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyd View Post
Yea but we will see how the bloodwork goes next. Also Mrs.Jp3 I tried to send you a message last week but your mailbox is full. Not sure if you deleted messages yet but just wanted to let you know !
Whoops, I did notice, I'm sorry about that. I did delete some if you need to resend it.
I am 100% confident Kai is in the right place if it helps.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote