Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > New Members Area > Introductions

Introductions If you're a new member, introduce yourself to the community so we can all welcome you here!

Notices

Mysterious duo :)

This thread has 30 replies and has been viewed 476 times.

Old 10-17-2020, 10:53 AM   #11
Anya

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Anya will become famous soon enoughAnya will become famous soon enough

Hello! Welcome to the forum! How nice you are from the UK – I so happened to originally come from that part of the world myself. It is wonderful that you rescued these two little guys! They are so cute! It seems like they are settling down in their new home. That is good! Have you given them names yet? Glad you are on the forum - you are going to learn a lot here.

As for your questions:

Yes, they do need a sepia bone (Cuttlebone) in their cage for calcium.

Sand? No, parrotlets do not need sand/grit. It will clog up their digestive system.

Raw honey? No. It can be dangerous to birds.

Temperature – 65 to 85 F (18 to 29C) is good. It is important not to have any drastic temperature changes in one day. Because these birds come from warm climates, I try to keep the temperature at least 73F (22F) but my bird loves it best at 80F (26C)! As silly as it sounds, I imagine if you have skinny birds with less meat on their bones, they probably need the temperature higher and if your bird is heavier, they probably can deal with cooler temps.

Regarding AVC treatment – People do give this to their birds, but I personally do not. I have a “If it is not broken do not fix it” attitude about it. If my vet ever suggests giving it, then I will.
Anya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2020, 01:28 PM   #12
JackieRTP

Parrotlets Owned: 1

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

I have never used apple cider vinegar in over 20 years of having parrotlets. It kills all bacteria in their system, both good and bad. When people use it, it is meant for short term use ONLY. Probiotics are a concentrated source of the good bacteria.

I agree with Anya on the cuttlebone, sand, and honey.
JackieRTP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:20 PM   #13
JennyK

JennyK is on a distinguished road

thank you for your prompt responses. I will follow your navigation.

Today is the birdies 4th day with me. So far so good with some exceptions.

While they are setting down better than i expected, i am a bit worrying about their diet. They are basically "cherry picking". They only eat millet spray and 4 types of seeds from the mix, the right side of the pic.
https://www.talkparrotlets.com/album...ictureid=13115

they indicate zero interest toward a cup of cut vegges, green leaves and fruits. it may take a long while to make them eat it.

also the green birdie's feet look rather pale. avitaminosis? i may worry for nothing but with these tiny creatures prefer to be on the safe side.

as they are molting and suffering from stress, i think the safe option is to order some organic pellets just for now. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...7ZA0I08A&psc=1

I will introduce the veggies and fruits, of course, just back up the nutritious with the pellets.
JennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2020, 04:50 PM   #14
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyK View Post
thank you for your prompt responses. I will follow your navigation.

Today is the birdies 4th day with me. So far so good with some exceptions.

While they are setting down better than i expected, i am a bit worrying about their diet. They are basically "cherry picking". They only eat millet spray and 4 types of seeds from the mix, the right side of the pic.
https://www.talkparrotlets.com/album...ictureid=13115

they indicate zero interest toward a cup of cut vegges, green leaves and fruits. it may take a long while to make them eat it.

also the green birdie's feet look rather pale. avitaminosis? i may worry for nothing but with these tiny creatures prefer to be on the safe side.

as they are molting and suffering from stress, i think the safe option is to order some organic pellets just for now. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...7ZA0I08A&psc=1

I will introduce the veggies and fruits, of course, just back up the nutritious with the pellets.
Had that problem with my rescues, Jules and Bo. They were bad seed junkies. Nutriberries was my way out. Still had seed they were after but forced them into more variety and pellets. I have had best luck with orchard and El Paso varieties.

https://lafeber.com/
Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge - Bo
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:22 PM   #15
JennyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie3860 View Post
Had that problem with my rescues, Jules and Bo. They were bad seed junkies. Nutriberries was my way out. Still had seed they were after but forced them into more variety and pellets. I have had best luck with orchard and El Paso varieties.

https://lafeber.com/
brilliant! thanks a lot. this sounds more natural.

i d love to read Jules and Bo's story. could you possibly send a link? perhaps i fine some bonding tips
Old 10-17-2020, 05:57 PM   #16
Bryan

Bryan will become famous soon enoughBryan will become famous soon enough

If you are going to get pellets there is a webpage with most of the pellets listed with ingredients so you can compare them. It was made by a member of another forum but has a lot of information on pellets.
https://www.lilmonstersbirdtoys.com/pellets-for-parrots

If your birds only like certain kinds of seeds they might not eat pellets either at first. There is a conversion that is used to get a bird to eat pellets by mixing a bowl with half pellets and half seeds then put in less seeds and more pellets each time until they are eating the pellets. I did this with Pip until he was only getting pellets. It only took him a few days and I noticed him eating the pellets so it went quick with us but make sure they are eating and not losing weight. I fed him only pellets for a week with no seeds to get him used to eating them after the conversion. I then added back in the amount of seed mix I wanted him to have. (1.5 tsp pellets and 1/2 tsp seed mix) This ensures that he does not fill up on seeds and still eats his pellets. He does eat the seeds first for his breakfast but he then has his pellets the rest of the day. If I think there is an excess amount of pellets not being eaten I will just cut back on the seeds a bit the next day but we have it down now where there is very little waste/uneaten food.

Edit: The webpage linked is on US brand pellets

Last edited by Bryan; 10-17-2020 at 06:14 PM..
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:33 PM   #17
JennyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
If you are going to get pellets there is a webpage with most of the pellets listed with ingredients so you can compare them. It was made by a member of another forum but has a lot of information on pellets.
https://www.lilmonstersbirdtoys.com/pellets-for-parrots

If your birds only like certain kinds of seeds they might not eat pellets either at first. There is a conversion that is used to get a bird to eat pellets by mixing a bowl with half pellets and half seeds then put in less seeds and more pellets each time until they are eating the pellets. I did this with Pip until he was only getting pellets. It only took him a few days and I noticed him eating the pellets so it went quick with us but make sure they are eating and not losing weight. I fed him only pellets for a week with no seeds to get him used to eating them after the conversion. I then added back in the amount of seed mix I wanted him to have. (1.5 tsp pellets and 1/2 tsp seed mix) This ensures that he does not fill up on seeds and still eats his pellets. He does eat the seeds first for his breakfast but he then has his pellets the rest of the day. If I think there is an excess amount of pellets not being eaten I will just cut back on the seeds a bit the next day but we have it down. there is very little waste too this way.

Edit: The webpage linked is on US brand pellets
Thank you very much for sharing Bryan.

Amazon will deliver any brand

I do not know yet what they like but watching then picking sunflower seeds all day is quite worrying. I ve ordered Lafeber NutriBerries as advised here and will walk through the list "pellets for parrots" tomorrow morning. I prefer mix seeds for my birds, but may consider add some pellets.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:52 PM   #18
Bryan

Bryan will become famous soon enoughBryan will become famous soon enough

Nutri-Berries is a good product for sure. I get the Fruit Delight Avi-Cakes for Pip sometimes for a treat.

Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:08 PM   #19
AnimalKaperz

AnimalKaperz is on a distinguished road

Ohhhh when you said grit .... were you referring to those sheets of it that shops sell to "wear down their nails"?? I think it's something that is common in the UK and Australia. If so .... it is BAD NEWS. It is harmful - it can cause itty bitty cuts under their feet and bumblefoot (foot infection) can follow. And of course they will chew it, which will cause all sorts of internal issues, what with the grit itself and the glue they use to stick it down with.

If you just provide perches that are bird friendly and real, which vary in width so their feet muscles are properly exercised and they don't get pressure sores and get bumblefoot that way, their nails will just wear down naturally. And they will climb and love it.

If you didn't mean grit sheets - just ignore me LOL

Last edited by AnimalKaperz; 10-17-2020 at 10:01 PM.. Reason: Explanation stopped at "feet muscles - needed to say WHY lol
AnimalKaperz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:54 PM   #20
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

The seeds they are eating are sunflower, safflower, oat groats, and something I don't know.

The sunflower and safflower are fatty and should be limited. Oat groats aren't bad seeds, and the other one also seems to be healthier.

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote