Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

~~~How Hot Is Too Hot For Parrotlets?~~~

~~~~Outside Temperature And Humidity Matters~~~~

This thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 313 times.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:01 AM   #11
Joeyd

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Joeyd is on a distinguished road

You know I take Kai out all the time. Once it hits 85 degrees is when he can only stay out in the shade but only for about 5-10 minutes max. I’ve had a few times where I see the panting and bring him inside for the day and make sure he drinks his water.

But whenever I have Kai outside in the summer I always have his water outside for drinks and bath.
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2019, 12:32 AM   #12
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyd View Post
You know I take Kai out all the time. Once it hits 85 degrees is when he can only stay out in the shade but only for about 5-10 minutes max. Iíve had a few times where I see the panting and bring him inside for the day and make sure he drinks his water.

But whenever I have Kai outside in the summer I always have his water outside for drinks and bath.
How is Kai doing? I wonder, does he talk much ? Ricochet was asking about him today.

David and Ricochet
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:39 AM   #13
Joeyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
How is Kai doing? I wonder, does he talk much ? Ricochet was asking about him today.

David and Ricochet
Not the best. I canít get him to stop plucking his feathers. Heís plucked out 99% of the feathers on his chest, completely destroyed his feathers and I donít know what to do anymore.

His droppings are fine, his attitude is good. He stays outside of his cage all day long. Heís got all types of wood.

I really need to get him to the vet but my money situation is horrible and Iíve had a number of health issues starting this year as well so itís been an agrivating year.

If you check out my instagram account below you can see Kaiís latest video from a week ago. I want to upload another one today since he had some feathers last week and now itís pretty much all gone.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:39 PM   #14
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

I have seen a lot of birds with excessive plucking, but this is the worst. I think there is a harness type cover you can buy to cover the body of this bird.

I know there are certain things that can cause plucking/barbering on a small bird. The number one thing I have discovered is diet. Every book and every site I have visited has listed the main reason is DIET. This is mentioned first...every time.

The second reason is medical. If he does not have mites or skin conditions or ALLERGIES, it is DIET.

The third most mentioned is environmental. Too much humidity or cool air or dry air or any air that blows on him, like a draft, my cause plucking.
To discourage plucking...

There are sprays that taste bad to the bird.
Give your bird plenty of sisal rope in various sizes to chew. Paper toys, tissues or paper towels, and fruit tree and willow tree twigs are good to keep him chewing. Hemp seeds calm him down. Purchase Avacalm ( this my be no longer available).

Further....add minerals,proteins, vitamins, and amino acids to his diet. Willow twigs are super high in LIGNINE (amino acids). Get a product called Vita Sol by Ecotrition..you can get it just about anywhere. It is less than 5 dollars for a 7 months supply. It is a liquid multi vitamin/mineral that you put in Kai's water. ONE DROP per ounce of water...3 ounces of water equals 3 drops of Vita Sol. Refresh each day.

Now, you can make an Elizabethan collar out of a light cardboard around his neck. He can still eat and drink, but he will grow back his feathers in a few weeks. This will give him a chance to get a full coat of feathers, along with his new fortified diet and vitamins.

One more thing... In some birds, a hormonal change makes them pluck. You vet can give him shots for this.

Research LIGNINE. This is a key to feather plucking cures. Also, contact Nikki Moustaki ( Google her name). She can help with your problem. She has a book out called, " The Birdkeeper's Guide " .

Send me a private message and I will send you some Vita Sol for free.

David
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:03 PM   #15
Bryan

Bryan will become famous soon enough

I don't know if it works but it has good testimonials...

Pluck No More..
https://kingscages.com/product/out-o...ther-plucking/

Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:48 PM   #16
Joeyd

Thanks for all this David.

I truly think it was a diet change that caused this. Kai was 100% perfect, no problems at all with his feathers, droppings or anything odd. Then I gave him some different food I got at a local parrot store and that same day he started plucking.

I put him back on his old diet and he still continues. Its the Volksmann parrotlet blend . Iíve also tried natural calming herbs (human grade too) and no luck. He even started eating Broccoli again but still no luck. I was looking into an e-collar as well, I saw one video on youtube where the feahters had grown back on the parrotlet but as soon as it was taken off the parrotlet went back to plucking.

Toys and chewing things Iíve tried with Kai. He has a lot of different stuff to play and chew with but he doesnít take to everything much. One weird thing is if we go outside , he will be nice but he will venture out to where the sunlight is and pluck even more.

Iíll be checking out everything you said and see if any of this helps Kai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
I have seen a lot of birds with excessive plucking, but this is the worst. I think there is a harness type cover you can buy to cover the body of this bird.

I know there are certain things that can cause plucking/barbering on a small bird. The number one thing I have discovered is diet. Every book and every site I have visited has listed the main reason is DIET. This is mentioned first...every time.

The second reason is medical. If he does not have mites or skin conditions or ALLERGIES, it is DIET.

The third most mentioned is environmental. Too much humidity or cool air or dry air or any air that blows on him, like a draft, my cause plucking.
To discourage plucking...

There are sprays that taste bad to the bird.
Give your bird plenty of sisal rope in various sizes to chew. Paper toys, tissues or paper towels, and fruit tree and willow tree twigs are good to keep him chewing. Hemp seeds calm him down. Purchase Avacalm ( this my be no longer available).

Further....add minerals,proteins, vitamins, and amino acids to his diet. Willow twigs are super high in LIGNINE (amino acids). Get a product called Vita Sol by Ecotrition..you can get it just about anywhere. It is less than 5 dollars for a 7 months supply. It is a liquid multi vitamin/mineral that you put in Kai's water. ONE DROP per ounce of water...3 ounces of water equals 3 drops of Vita Sol. Refresh each day.

Now, you can make an Elizabethan collar out of a light cardboard around his neck. He can still eat and drink, but he will grow back his feathers in a few weeks. This will give him a chance to get a full coat of feathers, along with his new fortified diet and vitamins.

One more thing... In some birds, a hormonal change makes them pluck. You vet can give him shots for this.

Research LIGNINE. This is a key to feather plucking cures. Also, contact Nikki Moustaki ( Google her name). She can help with your problem. She has a book out called, " The Birdkeeper's Guide " .

Send me a private message and I will send you some Vita Sol for free.

David
Old 07-17-2019, 08:29 PM   #17
littlehuck

Parrotlets Owned: 3

littlehuck will become famous soon enough

I am in Silicon Valley, CA and although the temperature average is 80+/- in the summer; Pepe (my Hahns Macaw) nearly died in 5 minutes sitting in the shade at 85 to 90 degrees with all windows open in the car so i was probably 100 degrees overall. His wings were open and he started panting so i poured water all over him and under his wings and on his feet. He recovered pretty quickly but since, I limit the birds to 85 in the shade and check on him frequently. I am in a dry mediterranean climate so 85 is pretty safe in mainly shade peppered with a little sun and no more summer rides in the car. Better safe than sorry