Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Bonding and Training

Bonding and Training Want to train your parrotlet? Just want to bond with your parrotlet? Ask all your questions and suggestions here.

Notices

Pacific vs Green rumped

Is there any difference??

This thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 264 times.

Old 07-06-2019, 06:04 PM   #11
Gribouille

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Gribouille is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JP3 View Post
I think "co-parenting" is a great way to raise birds. There's a lot of emphasis on "hand feeding" but you can hand feed a baby and still not be successful at socializing them. Taking the babies out like you are speaking of to handle them and socialize them is exactly what you want, even if they aren't "hand feeding" them. I know some breeders who are really adamant about Letting the parents feed th babies for immunity and Heath reasons. Whatever the method, both can be successful at raising a tame baby. I do know that with green rumps they are much harder to ween, so keeping them in the nest longer is necessary.
When will he be ready?

Thanks for your answer! In Norway it is very uncommon to remove small babies from their parents to hand-feed them, it is actually "illegal" before they are 6 weeks old (but very difficult to control so it happens with larger birds...)

I don't know how much the babies are handled at the breeder, I live 6 hours away so I can't visit, but the breeder says he is working with them to make it easy to tame them. He is also of the opinion that babies should be eating on their own before they leave the parents and couldn't be sure it would be OK next week, so I arranged with my boss to go back to work one of next week's days and take the 19th free. So I should pick Pichu up on the 19th, if he is ready then. If not I'll just take another day free, I'm lucky my work is quite flexible that way
I've been reading quite much on the differences between Greens and Pacifics, but I haven't read anything about Greens taking longer to wean? Where do you know that from?
Also, I've seen an old thread here from someone having a female of each, and she had a picture of them together, showing the difference in size, but since it is an old thread, the picture is not visible anymore and I can't find any on the internet. On Wikipedia they say the Greens are 12 cm long, and Pacifics going from 11 to 14 cm... but their weight could be as much as 10 gr lighter!
Gribouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2019, 06:09 PM   #12
Bryan

Parrotlets Owned: 1

Bryan will become famous soon enough

Pip just steps up when he wants.. hehe

If he knows he has to step up like when it's time to go back to his cage he always steps up but when he is out and playing he sometimes ignores a step up request. If I am sitting in my chair just wanting him to come over off his playstand he sometimes will just fly off instead.

As far as the green rump goes is there anyway to know if you are actually getting a green rump over a green pacific? I guess as long as you are not paying extra for it then it does not matter but I have seen some "rare" parrotlets with a higher asking price.

Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:13 PM   #13
Gribouille

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzie5022 View Post
I agree there is a prefered way to train you bird, but sometimes it just does not work. Until I began speaking about our life, I felt very different and unhappy because I didnt have the "perfect" bird until I found my voice.
I do not write every day and I do not write long posts but I have found that there are more like me and Huey than I thought. Sharing our experiences sometimes makes sense to another parront and they all of a sudden think I can do this, I am not alone.......
That is true and it is a good thing people can get to share their experience and ask for advice. Just watching YouTube videos can be very depressing if your bird doesn't even want to let you approach and "all the others" seem to be tame even before their human is beginning to train them...
Old 07-06-2019, 06:20 PM   #14
Gribouille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Pip just steps up when he wants.. hehe

If he knows he has to step up like when it's time to go back to his cage he always steps up but when he is out and playing he sometimes ignores a step up request. If I am sitting in my chair just wanting him to come over off his playstand he sometimes will just fly off instead.
If you've ever read "the Little Prince", you may remember that part of the book where a king explains he is entitled to make demands as long as they are reasonable, but if his demands are disreasonable and the general doesn't comply, it is the king's fault and not the general's... I'd say it is the same with birds. Asking them to step up when it is bed time is OK, asking them to come over while they are having fun and we just ask them to come over for fun, or want to put them back in the cage when they just came out half an hour ago, I'd say it is reasonable to expect them to disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
As far as the green rump goes is there anyway to know if you are actually getting a green rump over a green pacific? I guess as long as you are not paying extra for it then it does not matter but I have seen some "rare" parrotlets with a higher asking price.
Yes I'm sure it is a Green rumped, I am getting pictures each week-end I don't know how much the breeder asks for a Pacific, he is asking a little higher price than I paid for Twitter (Pacific) but still OK.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5 juli med familien (1).jpg (83.7 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Gribouille; 07-06-2019 at 06:25 PM.. Reason: inserting picture
Old 07-06-2019, 06:56 PM   #15
PeggyK

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

PeggyK is on a distinguished road

I am still working on step up with Corby. Iíve had him two months now. A few weeks ago, I was so down that I didnít seem to be making any progress I was seriously thinking it might be better for Corby if I gave him back to the friends who gave him to me. I just didn't think I was ďgood enoughĒ. It always helps me to hear that others, who have more experience than I do, struggle as well.

Iíve been putting my hand in Corbys cage every day. He seems more comfortable now with that. Actually yesterday and today I put BOTH my hands in and he was ok with it! I slowly moved them around turning them palm up and palm down and he wasnít afraid. . He still startles at things but calms down more quickly than he used to.

He doesnít not like when my finger looks like a perch. So today I tired my whole hand but sideways (if that makes sense). He watched me and I made it all the way to his feet! But to be honest I was afraid to go any further. He was being so calm and I didnít want to blow it. So I stayed still and he just turned and walked away. But he didnít seem to be scared so hopefully Iím making progress. Thanks for sharing your stories.
PeggyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:11 PM   #16
laracroft

laracroft will become famous soon enough

Peggy, you're doing great. The full hand sideways thing is a great idea, it's usually how I hold my hand for Micah, actually. Just remember that every bird and every relationship is different, so you might have to go at a different pace. And remember too that people tend to put forwards the best of themselves and their lives on the internet--even people who seem to have it all together and have a great relationship with their bird have trouble at times, they just might not talk about it. I know I'm that way--unless I have a question about a problem I'm having, I don't bring it up.

Micah
DOH: 3/18/2016
laracroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:29 PM   #17
PeggyK

Thank you.... and your little Micah looks sooo sweet. I’ll keep trying the sideways hand. Fingers crossed!
Old 07-06-2019, 07:50 PM   #18
Gribouille

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyK View Post
de it all the way to his feet! But to be honest I was afraid to go any further. He was being so calm and I didn’t want to blow it. So I stayed still and he just turned and walked away. But he didn’t seem to be scared so hopefully I’m making progress. Thanks for sharing your stories.
This is great, you want your bird to trust you, and honestly, you don't need your bird to know to step up for that. I never trained Twitter to do that and we did fine, he was my first tame bird, we were friends and I didn't like the idea of training him to do tricks. We found another way to agree with each other. We just learned along the way.

Last edited by Gribouille; 07-07-2019 at 05:11 PM..
Old 07-06-2019, 08:16 PM   #19
PeggyK

They do have amazing little personalities don’t they!? So smart!
I just love it when Corby really looks right into my eyes! I love to talk softly to him then. And that’s when I feel he trusts me.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:56 PM   #20
laracroft

laracroft will become famous soon enough

He is pretty sweet, when he's not being a little terror.

Micah
DOH: 3/18/2016
laracroft is offline   Reply With Quote