Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Bonding and Training

Bonding and Training Want to train your parrotlet? Just want to bond with your parrotlet? Ask all your questions and suggestions here.

Notices

maya

This thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 88 times.

Old 07-03-2019, 04:42 PM   #1
abbyjenna

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

abbyjenna is on a distinguished road

maya

hey everyone!

looking for advice on how to tame down a 1 year old parrotlet, that is flighty and stressed outside the cage. i am getting her from a breeder who says she won't bond with her male for context.
abbyjenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2019, 08:18 PM   #2
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbyjenna View Post
hey everyone!

looking for advice on how to tame down a 1 year old parrotlet, that is flighty and stressed outside the cage. i am getting her from a breeder who says she won't bond with her male for context.

I did not see the first post! Welcome back to the forum!

You answered my question here. I suggest that you do not let her out of the cage if she is not clipped. If she is flighty like you say, then she is a nervous bird. I have had a few nervous birds in my life. It is very important that you let her settle down and keep it quiet. It may take 10 days for her to settle and if she is in a flighty state, it may take a month. She probably was pestered by a male and this makes her put up a shield against any new acquaintances- bird or human.

There is hope! You must have the best patience in the world, a tender and sweet voice, and make sure you have the exact foods she has been eating so her hormones won't get out of whack. You can change her diet later, if you want.

Let us know when you receive her. Will she be shipped? How?

Maya's name sounds great!

David and Ricochet
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 02:03 AM   #3
lindav

Parrotlets Owned: 1

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

Give Maya lots of time and space to get used to you and your surroundings. It may take a year. One day it will all turn around for her and she will be a velcro bird. My sister had a very similar situation. Through daily interactions with her bird, they bonded. My sister didn't make a fuss with her bird, just let her be and enjoyed her. She finally came around. My sis lost her bird through an accident a couple of years ago, and feels badly to this day.
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2019, 08:09 AM   #4
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really nice

Good advice above. I have a bird exactly like you described. He was almost a year old, in a pet store and just scared out of hit wits at everything. I think he had a bad experience with another person who bought him and then returned him after a month.

It took at least a month for him to get even remotely comfortable. He literally was like a statue everytime I was around, but I could peek through the door crack while he was by himself and he would fluff and preen and sing a little.

I just tried to let him chill, move really slow, mimic the sounds he made and whistle to him, give him millet etc. I did clip his wings, he was a very erratic flyer when I did try to take him out and it was dangerous for him.

With Tobie, he has made a lot of progress but it's relative to how he was before. He does not care to sit with me or on me, he still gets spooked. He did end up with a girlfriend so it may have made a difference if it was only me interacting with him but honestly I don't feel that's the case. It was only because of her coming outside the cage and playing with me or sitting by the window that he will come out to be with her. I slowly got him better at flying by just letting his wings come in but it was and still is really stressful sometimes if he gets scared outside the cage, he still ends up in places he should not be or very erratic but mostly he has learned where to land and enjoys making circles around the room.

I still call him a perch potato. Most importantly he is happy. He likes to sing loudly in the morning and he plays with his toys sometimes. He likes baths, and flying, and I have a boing I hang by the window I let him and Lilly sit there and they will go between the boing and their cage top to eat. After about an hour they put themselves back in the cage LOL ....Or they get into Jasper's cage. I call it their vacation.

Anyway, just to give you some idea what maybe to expect worst case scenario. I've had him for a couple years now at least, I say worst case because of all the scaredy non tame birds on the forum I would say he is still the least people comfortable but I imagine you will have success. The most important thing to remember is everybirdy is different and above all they need love, and a good home, good diet, toys and mostly just to be free to be themselves. We have wants for how they will be, but we don't always get what we "want". Not all Parrotlets talk, not all cuddle, some play more and some less. Some like hands and some don't. Some step on fingers, some step on palms. Some bite, well......ok most bite... ..... Tobie is about the only parrotlet I've ever heard of that won't bite me ever unless I have to hold him by force (when it's unavoidable)

Best advice is never grab her. Keep her safe and go slow, and accept who she is regardless of what you want her to be.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote