Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

Getting to know Corby better!

What a cheeky little guy he is!

This thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 352 times.

Old 06-29-2019, 04:52 PM   #11
PeggyK

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

PeggyK is on a distinguished road

Oh I forgot to tell you where I got Corby from! he was a gift and was purchased at a breeder/bird store. Suppposedly he was had fed. But I think you are right in that I may be the first human he’s had a meaningful relationship with. I was told they threw a towel on him to get him out of the cage. So i guess he has every right to be scared.

Thanks again for your feedback!! Soooo helpful!!!!
PeggyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2019, 05:03 PM   #12
PeggyK

I watched your video! The second one , Day 3, wouldn’t play. The trouble I have with Corby is he flies away a lot. He’s never taken a treat from my hand He will sit on my hand and eat a treat. But not take one in his mouth like you got kiwi to. But I’ll give it a shot now that he’s a bit more friendly. He’s still skittish. Thank you!!!!!
Old 06-29-2019, 10:26 PM   #13
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

We all have our ways of doing things. Me?, I believe that a bird will love you and do things out of their way to please you without bribes. I have proved it. P'letts are like human children. I have raised hundreds of budgies, etc, but only two p'letts and let me tell you. the p'letts are exactly like human children when it comes to raising/teaching them.
I never had to bribe my child to do things. He did things and got his rewards.

It is all up to how you want to do things.

All I know is that I have had plenty of birds and never had one to not step up. I never gave a treat unless it was a reward. Period. Some of you remember me telling you about a lady in Orlando that we bird owners called, " THe parrotlet Lady". She was an expert on p'letts. I got to know her after I got Bogie and she taught me all kinds of things. I went to her house and she had about 50 pletts there. She had a couple there that were re-homes and they were vicious. She had them for a week in separate cages for quarantine.

She said to me, " This is your lucky day. I am going to show you how to teach a couple of nasty birds to step up! "

We went to one cage and the bird went as far away as he could on a top perch. She said that for a week, she stopped by their cages and talked to them and spent a few minutes with them every couple of hours.After 8 days, she said it was time for her to get them to step up. She did not use treats because she said that they have their food already in the cage along with water and toys.

She slowly opened up the cage door while talking sweetly to the bird and told me to stand back. I backed off. She put her hand inside the cage and the bird fluttered around the cage a bit, but she kept her hand inside of the cage while talking to him. He stopped. She stopped moving. She moved her hand very slowly towards the bird and he just looked at her hand. His wings flitted some, so she stopped moving. He settled, so she moved towards him an offered him her finger as a perch while saying step up. She was an inch from him. He got nervous. She stopped. She kept talking to him. She moved closer. He looked at her. She said to step up and pushed her finger against his chest and he stepped up onto her finger. She praised him, but didn't move a muscle! She slowly brought him down to a lower perch and he hopped off onto the perch. She pulled her hand back and closed the door.

I was amazed. So, she waited a minute and started it all over again.

He did the same thing...fluttered and she kept doing the same things until he got on her finger. He got on again. She did this 5 times in a row. The last time, he didn't move a muscle and got on her finger.

She said that the next day, she would do the same thing but take him out about two feet then put him back in. She said by the third day, she could take him out and walk to a chair and sit at a table and just talk to him, then put him back.

She said never give them a bribe to accomplish a task. Never. She said once she gets the bond going stronger, then she would feed him one seed at a time like a mother feeds her chick.

After she was through with that first bird that day, she asked me to try it on the second bird. We went over to the cage and I did the same thing she did, but I moved too quickly a few times. Then, I got the hang of it and that bird stepped up! She said that the bird I tried was meaner than the other because he was a male and she had the female. That bird trusted me! ME! Within 10 minutes of trying. She said that I had a knack for doing that. I told her that I didn't want to get bit and I was nervous.

I am sure not all birds will react the same, but the bird has to accept the hand unconditionally. Are there other ways of stepping up? Sure. But Corby was not hand fed or trained to accept the human hand.I think that soon, he will be stepping up.

Dave

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 10:34 PM   #14
PeggyK

Oh I do hope so!
Old 07-01-2019, 06:40 AM   #15
rizzie5022

rizzie5022 is a jewel in the roughrizzie5022 is a jewel in the roughrizzie5022 is a jewel in the rough

I did not have good luck with Huey and step up. I tried all of the things mentioned on this forum. Huey is a biter. It is very hard to stand there talking quietly with your finger next to a bird who is biting you.

We went about it a different route.

When we got him he was clipped. It amazed me that he needed to learn to fly. It was really cool watching him figure things out. After a few years we decided to clip him again due to his behavior. It worked he became a much nicer bird.

We have been together 6 years and we are still figuring things out. We have good days and bad. On the bad days I just leave him alone and still let him out but just on his play gym. I can control the biting if I am paying attn to him, he gives me a little nip to get my attn. I dont think he means to hurt me but it is in the tender part of the palm right near the finger lol.

You didnt raise your human children overnight, the same goes for your new little one.

Also hand fed and hand tame are two different things. Babies born at a breeder get hand fed, if they are sold to a store they typically are sold while still on feedings. I used to hand feed babies. When you go into the store and it is feeding time they are all crying for food. It is really cool to feed them, I fed parrotlet size up to african grey size. I did get to know them and they would get excited when they saw me. I was told you should leave them after feeding for a bit so their food could digest. Play time was later.

You are doing great!
Old 07-01-2019, 10:12 AM   #16
PeggyK

Rizzie5022 It’s SO helpful to me to know you and Huey are still figuring things out! I felt a sense of urgency when I first got Corby ...that it was imperative to play with him right away or he’d never play with me. Now I see that is not true at all. Slow and steady wins the race!
Old 07-01-2019, 06:23 PM   #17
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyK View Post
Rizzie5022 Its SO helpful to me to know you and Huey are still figuring things out! I felt a sense of urgency when I first got Corby ...that it was imperative to play with him right away or hed never play with me. Now I see that is not true at all. Slow and steady wins the race!
Get used to it. Our little ones are constantly changing puzzle boxes. That is part of the fun. I am not saying they change completely over night. No, they are much more subtle than that as they change a little bit here and there over time as the get older, puzzle stuff out and mature in their relationships.
So no hurry, you guys are at a beginning of a long and magical journey that many will never understand. Life with a bird is a joy that constantly gives.
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:54 PM   #18
PeggyK

Sounds amazing!
Old 07-03-2019, 12:07 PM   #19
Gribouille

Parrotlets Owned: 2

Gribouille is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaLil View Post
he intentionally sits on my arm and tries to bite through my sleeve to pinch my arm. I usually just put him back in his cage and try again later. It always makes me second guess myself. Did I do something wrong and is he getting even. He sometimes tries to bite me when I’m taking things in or out of his cage. .
Birds are not like that, they don't hold grudges for days and seek revenge. We are the screwed ones, animals are much simpler...

They bite as a mean of defence, but also because it gives them some pleasure to bite. They love to chew, for exemple the silicone buttons of your remote control, cork, toys, paper.. Not always welcome, but don't put the wrong intentions into their actions. They don't do that to annoy you or to be mean (although they could learn that biting gives them your full attention). They do what they like and what they need to do to defend themselves.

When they bite you in the cage, they are defending their territory. To avoid that, you have to teach your bird that you are no intruder so he'll let you in, or to step up so you can take him out of the cage when you have to do something in there.

When he bites through your sleeve, I bet he just likes the sensation and maybe the best thing you could do would be to give him a toy giving him the same sensation, maybe something like a rope or a piece of leather with a loose piece of fabric around it. My Twitter loved to bite my mother's wrist: she has wrinkles there resembling thin paper.. She was covered in bruises in a short time! But this was VERY interesting for Twitter and he HAD to explore this "new material"... Got him a toy with leather pieces and bark instead

Last edited by Gribouille; 07-03-2019 at 12:22 PM..
Gribouille is offline   Reply With Quote