Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Off Topic > Chit Chat

Chit Chat Talk about anything here! Keep in clean.

Notices

Any gardeners on the forum?

This thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 322 times.

Old 07-06-2019, 06:28 PM   #1
laracroft

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

laracroft will become famous soon enough

Any gardeners on the forum?

I want to get some plants for my apartment, but I'm not very knowledgeable/experienced with them and I don't know what to get. I've found a bunch of lists of bird safe and not bird safe plants, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed as far as choosing. Anyone have any recommendations? Ideally I'd love to have a little indoor herb garden that could supplement Micah's diet and my cooking, but if that doesn't work out I'd still like some green around the place. Any suggestions?

Micah
DOH: 3/18/2016
laracroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2019, 06:42 PM   #2
Gribouille

Parrotlets Owned: 2

Gribouille is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by laracroft View Post
I want to get some plants for my apartment, but I'm not very knowledgeable/experienced with them and I don't know what to get.
I'm far from a gardener myself, I'm happy when my plants don't die at once
I have a palm plant, a dragon tree (not sure if this one is bird safe, I had it before I had birds -WOW!! Still alive!!- but my birds know it is not allowed to land on neither of those, although the palm is safe).
I recently bought a fern and a bamboo that were actually meant to have in the birds' cages but they are too big so the fern is under their play stand and they'd chew the top of the leaves they can reach.

I also bought a honeysuckle which THRIVES , growing like crazy on the balcony! It threads through the net of the outdoor cage and I hope it will end up covering the top so they'll have a buffer against the sun (although this Summer there hasn't been a day where they were at risk of getting too warm in there ).

The herb garden is a good idea that I've tried before but as I said, no gardener here, the herbs didn't survive too long and the birds didn't like any of them anyway... Now I got a mint plant some friends left here after a party (used it for mojitos ) and it seems to be doing OK. The birds won't eat from it but the guinea pigs are happy to help with that!
Gribouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:54 PM   #3
laracroft

Thanks! I don't know if Micah likes herbs, tbh. Admittedly, while I'd share with Micah, the herb garden thing is more for me than for him. I love cooking with fresh herbs, but dislike the waste/expense of buying them.

Micah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2019, 07:53 PM   #4
Gribouille

Parrotlets Owned: 2

Gribouille is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks! I don't know if Micah likes herbs, tbh. Admittedly, while I'd share with Micah, the herb garden thing is more for me than for him. I love cooking with fresh herbs, but dislike the waste/expense of buying them.
Then there is no reason not to try! I do not use much herbs while cooking but when I do I use frozen ones (or I buy them fresh and cut them into small pieces, ready to use, before I freeze them).
Gribouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:06 PM   #5
PeggyK

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

PeggyK is on a distinguished road

Philodendron, which has an all green leaf or Pothos which has a variegated leaf (cream and green) are super easy to take care of. (Trust me I know! ) They vine down as opposed to an upright plant and are hard to kill! Hahaha! But I have no idea if they are safe for birdies!
PeggyK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:31 PM   #6
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Hi!
I'm more of an outside gardener/farmer. I was raised on a farm and know about what is necessary for a good food garden. Herbs are easy to grow inside on the window sill or on a porch. Herbs take the least amount of sunlight to flourish because you mainly eat the whole plant. Baby spinach is good and so is basil, thyme, mint, bean sprouts, etc. Miniature strawberry plants are good, too. Broccoli is too large to grow inside.

Okay Plants---Christmas Cactus, Coleus, Boston fern, Spider Plant, Jade Plant, African Violets, Miniature Roses, and Wondering Jew.

Do not get plants such as Philodendron, avocado, or Dieffenbachia. OR.....Pothos Ivy( very), Arrowhead, Oleander( very poisonous!), Caladiums, Peace Lily, Cala Lily, Easter Lily, Rubrum Lily, Tiger Lily,Day Lily, Asian Lily, most Ivies are mildly poisonous.

These are a few of good and bad plants.

David and Ricochet
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:15 PM   #7
laracroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyK View Post
Philodendron, which has an all green leaf or Pothos which has a variegated leaf (cream and green) are super easy to take care of. (Trust me I know! ) They vine down as opposed to an upright plant and are hard to kill! Hahaha! But I have no idea if they are safe for birdies!
Google says Pothos is safe for birds and Philodendron is not. Thanks for the suggestions!

Micah
Old 07-06-2019, 09:24 PM   #8
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Quote:
Google says Pothos is safe for birds and Philodendron is not. Thanks for the suggestions!
I used Google and it told me the Pothos Ivy was mildly poisonous. In fact, it said mildly poisonous (from an expert who listed it.).

This is why I dislike the internet so much! Information constantly contradicts itself.

David and Ricochet
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:01 PM   #9
kpenguins48

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

kpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of light

Send a message via Yahoo to kpenguins48
Plants of the fittonia genus are very pretty. Their leaf veins are white, red and other colors depending on what kind. They have curly, compact leaves and grow little white flower clusters that are shaped like cigars. I kept mine near a window in relatively low light and they did well.

The Little Prince
kpenguins48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:24 PM   #10
laracroft

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I picked up some herbs today, as well as a plant which they were calling a money tree which I THINK is safe? Anyone know anything about these? I wasn't sure about it, but I liked it so much I decided to get it anyway. (Don't worry, if it turns out not to be safe I'll take it to the office.)

Micah