Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Stop training Kiwi?

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  tijya 
#1 ·
This will probably be a lengthy post... I'll try to be as brief as possible.
After getting Mango (conure) I've noticed quite a difference between the conure and the parrotlet personalities. I've always done "training" with Kiwi, because she seemed to enjoy the interaction. Playing basketball is one of her favorite games, and, even when she's in her cage, she will "dunk" her jingle ball into her water dish, simulating the game we play. She really seems to like that game!
After getting a boy conure... Mango is REALLY excited to train! REALLY excited to socialize. There is quite a DIFFERENCE in the 2 birds' personalities. And, I'm starting to think, maybe I've misunderstood Kiwi. Kiwi DOES want out of the cage, and want some interaction... Mango wants to learn new tricks.
I don't know if this is a difference in bird types, or a difference between boy and girl...+-

#3 ·
I am not real sure on what your asking help for or feel frustrated about. From what i can see both birds seem to enjoy your company and have fun interacting with you. Is it an issue with not being able to do tricks with both birds at the same time and the other one is getting jealous? Maybe take one to a seperate room to play.

I know in my own life things seem to have a way of working themselves out in the end I just try to remind myself of that when I am feeling down. :)

#6 ·
I think you are trying to deal with too many things between the birdies. Relax. Having two different species can be a challenge because they each demand different attentions and act differently in certain ways.

What you have written about them so far has been very informative. Mango is a baby, for sure. He will act accordingly. Kiwi is a female that is active hormonal. Two distinct birdies, alright.
I think once Mango gets a few months older, he will turn out really nice for you.

Reality for you is normal. Read my e-mail I sent you tonight.

Dave

#7 ·
I wouldn't say that Mango's interest means that Kiwi was really disinterested. They are 2 different birds.

I have a conure and parrotlet as well. I'd say they are more different than they are alike.

But then, we are on our 2nd parrotlet, and he's very very different from the first. He's not as snuggly, not as adventurous, not as persistent.

Maybe focus less on what their differences may mean and instead go based on what you know or have learned for each bird.

Both Kingston and Nich get excited. But they show it differently. It doesn't necessarily mean that one is more excited than the other. :)

#8 ·
I grow up with all kinds of pets and each one had their own characters.
Conure is smart and fun. I had Gold cap name Peter before and really miss him.
Only draw back is they are loud and the poops much bigger than parrotlet.
I am glad everything is ok with you.

#9 ·
I think you have done a wonderful job with your fids.

Kiwi has learned tricks! That is super cool. My guys only trick is watching Jeopardy ;) .

I have to agree different breeds react and act differently. I should be dissapointed Huey has not learned any tricks and I think it might be me, but then I had an african grey and a love bird who learned tricks so I think it is him.

I also think that they decide what they want to do and when they want to do it. I open Hueys cage every night and while he comes out he also decided to go back in and hang out in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.