Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

Holding toes..

This thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 284 times.

Old 05-17-2019, 02:26 PM   #1
Bryan

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Bryan will become famous soon enough

Holding toes..

As many of you know Pip and I are constantly battling over him getting on top of the tv. Well I have started a zero tolerance to this now and will put him back in his cage when he lands on the tv and tell him no. (before I was giving him two chances)

I don't have an issue with getting him to step up I go to the tv and tell him "no your not allowed" and he steps up on my finger. Well as we are walking back to his cage he flies off my finger to the top of his cage. This was fine before because I would just get him back off the top of the cage and put him inside. The problem now is that he has started to fly to other places other than his cage. We will fly to his playstand and then I have to go get him again.. repeat

I have seen videos about holding the toes of your bird so they do not fly off. I have tried this today and when we were getting close to the cage he started jerking his foot and when he went to fly he was pulling pretty hard and worried that he might hurt himself so I let go and he flew off.

Do any of you use holding their toes when you are transporting them?

I know I can use millet with him to get him to focus and go back into his cage but giving him millet is not something I want to do when he is being punished. I also worry about him thinking his cage is a punishment all the time. I try to make it a point to only leave him on timeout for an hour before letting him out to try again.

He has good days where he will leave the tv alone but then he has bad ones like today where he is pushing me. I don't want to clip his wings over this deal but I need to find a solution to him flying off when he does not want to go back in his cage. Any ideas?

Last edited by Bryan; 05-17-2019 at 10:54 PM..
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2019, 11:26 PM   #2
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

This is a good question. Bogie did just about the same thing, so, when he would be on a place that was a no no, I would have him step up and on the way back to his cage, off he went! So, I did a simple thing....

Since you are teaching Pip a no no boundary, he understands your actions, a little bit. Do not hold onto his toes! Most birds do not like this. They feel trapped! Here is what I did with Bogie. I got him to step up on my finger and then I would cup my hand over top of him so he couldn't see where I was taking him. ( do not touch him ) This way, he could not plan his ' flight plan ' to go where he wanted to go. Take away your hand once he is inside his cage.
All the time you have his vision cupped, use his name a lot and tell him nice things and praise him for being a good boy. I bet it works. Believe it or not, but he will learn to stop going to the TV.

I taught Bogie not to go through an open doorway frame. It took a while, but I did it. I'll tell you all how I did it in a thread one day.

David and Ricochet
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:40 PM   #3
Bryan

I will give it a try.

I don't really mind him on the tv other than the vent for the tv is in a place that will likely be pooped on. I don't want the poo going inside the tv and shorting something out from the moisture.

I did make a vent cover for it tonight out of cardboard wrapped with box tape. It will protect the tv vent, be easy to clean and still allow for hot air to pass so I might just let him have it now.

I do still have to work on the flying away though. I am sure now that he knows he can escape he will keep doing this when he does not want back in his cage.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2019, 12:09 AM   #4
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

He can't escape if you cup your hands over him. He can't see.
Dave

The cardboard is a good idea. This way, you don't have to train him.
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 12:18 AM   #5
Bryan

It will probably be like the fish tank once I covered up the water access so he could not get to it and let him get on it he never goes to it anymore. I think the appeal to him is that I don't want him there. (ornery little bugger... heh)

Old 05-27-2019, 07:35 PM   #6
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really nice

I've never tried holding their feet to prevent them flying off. I think like you because they are so small I feel like I'd have to hold their little toes too hard.
I have resorted to covering my TV with a sheet when it's not in use. When it is, sometimes I end up chasing the Bourks off of it.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is online now   Reply With Quote