Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

Keeping Willie Warm

This thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 172 times.

Old 05-27-2019, 02:17 PM   #1
Kathy S.

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Kathy S. is on a distinguished road

Keeping Willie Warm

I recently moved and even though the apartment where I moved seems reasonably comfortable he gets kind of puffy at times which I know can be a sign of being chilly. I know that even though I'm comfortable here it is clearly different for a bird that only weighs an ounce. I do have the K&H Bird Thermo Perch that I guess I bought for a Budgie that I had years ago way before Willie. I recently found it in storage and never opened it. I don't have a great memory. I opened it plugged it in and put it in his cage. I touched it to find that it is barely even room temperature and I'm wondering if it's broken but he's afraid of it anyway so I guess it doesn't matter. I gave him a small tent for warmth that's been in his cage for a year but he won't go in it and I'm not too much of a fan of heat lamps.

So what else can I do to provide warmth for him in his cage? Does anyone else have that heated perch for their birds? I would like to know if they like it.

He is also due for a vet visit soon!

Last edited by Kathy S.; 05-27-2019 at 02:26 PM..
Kathy S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2019, 04:19 PM   #2
JackieRTP

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

A good rule of thumb is that if you're comfortable, then your bird is comfortable. If you're cold, then likely your bird cold. At this time of the year in the US, the weather is heating up and getting warmer. It is unlikely that your bird is cold. It is good that he is due for a vet wellness visit soon. Just like us, it is good to have a physical once a year.
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:06 PM   #3
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Right now, it should be warming up outside. A puffed up bird means a few things could be happening. When they are puffed up, they are either sick, in a cold room, or in a windy or cool draft from an Air conditioning/heating vent or leaky window nearby. It doesn't take much. When puffed up, they are spending a lot of energy to regulate their body heat.

If a bird is ill, they should be in a hospital cage set-up with 88-94 degree temperature surrounding them. There are heating pads for cages. The perch warmer is not good enough. I do not like forced fan heaters, but I do have a mineral oil radiator next to Ricochet's cage. It is a radiator that warms up mineral oil inside tubes and this gives off heat! No fans, noise, dangerous fumes and you plug it in a regular socket. I saw no increase in my electric bill at all. You can leave it on all the time and set it at different temperatures. Ricochet is using the one I had for my previous p'lett, so I have had this for 11 years and it works fine!

Let me know in this thread if you want the name of the unit and I will send the info to you.

David and Ricochet

David Miller is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2019, 03:43 PM   #4
kpenguins48

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

kpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of light

Send a message via Yahoo to kpenguins48
If you're not cold, he probably isn't either. As long as there isn't anything blowing on him it should be fine. You may just be catching him while he's relaxed.
Let me know if you want the name of the vet I use.

The Little Prince
kpenguins48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:30 PM   #5
Kathy S.

Kathy S. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
Right now, it should be warming up outside. A puffed up bird means a few things could be happening. When they are puffed up, they are either sick, in a cold room, or in a windy or cool draft from an Air conditioning/heating vent or leaky window nearby. It doesn't take much. When puffed up, they are spending a lot of energy to regulate their body heat.

If a bird is ill, they should be in a hospital cage set-up with 88-94 degree temperature surrounding them. There are heating pads for cages. The perch warmer is not good enough. I do not like forced fan heaters, but I do have a mineral oil radiator next to Ricochet's cage. It is a radiator that warms up mineral oil inside tubes and this gives off heat! No fans, noise, dangerous fumes and you plug it in a regular socket. I saw no increase in my electric bill at all. You can leave it on all the time and set it at different temperatures. Ricochet is using the one I had for my previous p'lett, so I have had this for 11 years and it works fine!

Let me know in this thread if you want the name of the unit and I will send the info to you.

David and Ricochet

Yes that would be great! I would very much like to know more about it! Thank you.
Kathy S. is offline   Reply With Quote