Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

Question about food

This thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 181 times.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:23 PM   #1
[email protected]

ilovebirds@ is on a distinguished road

Question about food

I was wondering if there are foods that p'lets love to eat? He loves broccoli! But wont eat bananas or apples or kiwi.. thanks! oh, my cockatiels loves peas and corn , my p'let wont eat peas and corn. thanks!!
ilovebirds@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2019, 11:48 PM   #2
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Hello!

Fresh veggies are eaten more than fresh fruits when it comes to parrotlets. It has something to do with the ' squishy ' factor. Beware of apple cores and apple seeds! They are poisonous to birds. Apple skin and flesh is okay.
No avocados at all!
No chocolate at all!

Good stuff---
Almonds are great
berries
kale
green peppers and open up a green pepper and cut out the seed pod, then feed the whole thing to your p'lett.
Jalapeno peppers--cut open--seeds and all are good.
Walnuts
HEMP SEEDS-all they want
Flax seeds
sesame seeds
sunflower seeds-no more than 5-6 per day
safflower seeds- 10-15 per day or less
Broccoli- fresh florets-put a floret in between the cage bars near a perch and leave out all day--it will not spoil, but will wilt but not hurt your bird.( do not use frozen broccoli).
Filtered water or bottled water, NEVER tap water-too many additives..unless you boil the water and cool way down.
Broccoli- fresh florets-put a floret in between the cage bars

Baked or broiled chicken breast, finely chopped...if given every day, limit it to about the size of a half dollar.

EGGS- Hard boiled-all they want at feeding time...will spoil after 2 hours . FRIED- chop up fine and feed 2-3 times a week about the size of a half dollar per p'lett. Scrambled, the same as fried. Can use butter or margarine to cook.

CHICKEN Breast- Baked or broiled, never fried or microwaved (raw) but can use microwave if warming things up. Do not season, unless you use seeds, like sesame, flax, hemp. COOK WELL DONE.

citrus
pecans
Jiffy mix cornbread--cooked. Mix seeds or chopped up nuts in the mix, then bake.

There are various types of " CHOP " you can make. Google it. Look to the left of this page and search thru the forums for all kinds of information on your p'letts.

This is some of the foods..

TREATS can be nuts, seed, like Hemp seeds. You can get hemp and flax and nuts at a Health food store or Bird supply store.
I hand feed Ricochet hemp seeds, one by one as a reward just for being my friend.

TRISCUIT- Hint of Salt flavor--Break the Triscuit up and hand feed as a gift from you. This will help complete the bond.

I hope this helps!

David and Ricochet

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:09 PM   #3
JackieRTP

Parrotlets Owned: 1

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

Many birds (not just parrotlets) love broccoli. The key to trying various fruits and veggies with our parrotlets is to continue to give it over and over (not just once), and to try it in different ways (raw, steamed, baked, cut into chop fine sized pieces, cut into larger pieces, stuffed through the cage bars, etc). My parrotlet loves broccoli as well. They tend to prefer vegetables to fruit though...
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2019, 07:30 PM   #4
[email protected]

ilovebirds@ is on a distinguished road

great thanks!!!
ilovebirds@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:48 AM   #5
aqueilo

aqueilo is on a distinguished road

Hi friend:
Here's a handy website I use whenever I want to double check my foods:
***** Moderated, breeder link removed

Last edited by Mrs.JP3; 06-04-2019 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: Forum rules prohibit posting breeders websites
aqueilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:01 AM   #6
aqueilo

aqueilo is on a distinguished road

Additionally, sometimes it's about the texture of the food as Jackie said (try different ways of cooking and cutting up) and sometimes it's just the grow that time, it tastes different or something. Monty loves veggies but sometimes even he turns away his favourites.

I feed Monty veggies at night, and I also use frozen organic veggies. Frozen veggies are more more likely to have more nutrients in them (especially if you live North, like I do, where fresh veggies are not really available unless imported from Southern areas and by that time they lose a lot of nutrients - if you live in Florida, like Dave, you should have no trouble finding great quality local-ish produce). A lot of people feed veggies in the morning, as that is when the birds are most hungry and likely to eat. It really depends on your schedule - I don't feed in the morning because I go to work immediately and the food would go gross throughout the day. Monty's breeder feed him chop in the morning.

Sometimes it's just them being picky. Monty won't eat his veggies unless I hold his bowl in my hands. If I put it in his cage, it's a no go. I sometimes have to eat my dinner with one hand and hold him in the other. Such is life.

Keep feeding broccoli to your parrotlet. My parrotlet always asks for banana when I eat it but doesn't like it. Monty loves peas - if your parrotlet likes broccoli perhaps he might like something crunchy like snap/snow peas? A lot of bird like cooked sweet potato too.
I often mash some sweet potato with chia seeds and Monty gobbles it all up.

aqueilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 09:58 PM   #7
Kathy S.

Kathy S. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
Hello!

Fresh veggies are eaten more than fresh fruits when it comes to parrotlets. It has something to do with the ' squishy ' factor. Beware of apple cores and apple seeds! They are poisonous to birds. Apple skin and flesh is okay.
No avocados at all!
No chocolate at all!

Good stuff---
Almonds are great
berries
kale
green peppers and open up a green pepper and cut out the seed pod, then feed the whole thing to your p'lett.
Jalapeno peppers--cut open--seeds and all are good.
Walnuts
HEMP SEEDS-all they want
Flax seeds
sesame seeds
sunflower seeds-no more than 5-6 per day
safflower seeds- 10-15 per day or less
Broccoli- fresh florets-put a floret in between the cage bars near a perch and leave out all day--it will not spoil, but will wilt but not hurt your bird.( do not use frozen broccoli).
Filtered water or bottled water, NEVER tap water-too many additives..unless you boil the water and cool way down.
Broccoli- fresh florets-put a floret in between the cage bars

Baked or broiled chicken breast, finely chopped...if given every day, limit it to about the size of a half dollar.

EGGS- Hard boiled-all they want at feeding time...will spoil after 2 hours . FRIED- chop up fine and feed 2-3 times a week about the size of a half dollar per p'lett. Scrambled, the same as fried. Can use butter or margarine to cook.

CHICKEN Breast- Baked or broiled, never fried or microwaved (raw) but can use microwave if warming things up. Do not season, unless you use seeds, like sesame, flax, hemp. COOK WELL DONE.

citrus
pecans
Jiffy mix cornbread--cooked. Mix seeds or chopped up nuts in the mix, then bake.

There are various types of " CHOP " you can make. Google it. Look to the left of this page and search thru the forums for all kinds of information on your p'letts.

This is some of the foods..

TREATS can be nuts, seed, like Hemp seeds. You can get hemp and flax and nuts at a Health food store or Bird supply store.
I hand feed Ricochet hemp seeds, one by one as a reward just for being my friend.

TRISCUIT- Hint of Salt flavor--Break the Triscuit up and hand feed as a gift from you. This will help complete the bond.

I hope this helps!

David and Ricochet

Why no frozen Broccoli?
Kathy S. is offline   Reply With Quote