Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

Patsy and hands

and washcloth

This thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 136 times.

Old 05-28-2019, 12:37 PM   #1
Evelyn

Parrotlets Owned: 3
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Evelyn is a name known to allEvelyn is a name known to allEvelyn is a name known to allEvelyn is a name known to allEvelyn is a name known to allEvelyn is a name known to all

Patsy and hands

I am worried about Patsy, he doesn't get much freedom, I have 4 dogs, he has toys etc. He has a big cage and a small play cage I use to carry he around the house, which I don't think he likes.

Not having much time to take him out of cage, dogs, his training is not moving along, not even step up. He has his own room, can see into living room. I feel he is not getting what he needs. I talk to him and try step up the cage but he is afraid of my hands. He was always removed from his cage with a wash cloth, which I have tried, but he is afraid of that also. Once on your finger he will stay for a minute, tried him on my shoulder he stays maybe 2 minutes, while the dogs are outside of course.

I am thinking of getting another so he will have a playmate, I know all the pro and cons.

Any ideas of how to tame him more to get him out of cage without hands or washcloth.

Old 05-28-2019, 01:27 PM   #2
aqueilo

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

aqueilo is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately, I think the answer here for training is really that it just requires more time in general spent training and spending time with him one on one. I know with the 4 dogs and life it's super hard to carve out time for it, but it's really just a matter of patience and persistence. There are a ton of resources on training techniques on this forum too if you want to peruse but there are never really any shortcuts (I wish, haha). And every bird is different, they may never be super well trained.

I had a bird and a dog when I was younger and everytime my dog went into the garden I got the bird out to play and fly around, but he was always quite fond of his cage and preferred to sit and watch and be talked to and fed treats in the cage. He never got the same personality of confidence as Monty regardless of how much training I gave him, but he did learn step up. So don't give up on step up, but other tricks or training may not always be a feasible option, and that's okay too.

aqueilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:42 PM   #3
Coco

Coco is on a distinguished road

All of my birds are rescued.
Peter stay in garage with no love and abuse until I had him.
Timmy the American yellow and Coco just the same.
With love and patient they turn to beautiful, bonding with my family.
I take their cage in the bathroom, seat with them, read, talk and offer millet through the bar....slowly I open the door and do the same thing...finally I come closer closer and one day they come closer too.

All of them love to ride bikes with us, I made a bag with hole for Peter can stick his head out. Timmy and Coco had their small cage in front.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:03 PM   #4
rizzie5022

rizzie5022 has a spectacular aura aboutrizzie5022 has a spectacular aura aboutrizzie5022 has a spectacular aura about

Here is an idea, why not (when it is safe) just let the door be open, we have a play gym next to Hueys cage and he comes out to get his treats. Once out of the cage they are more friendly.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:47 PM   #5
Evelyn

Evelyn is a name known to allEvelyn is a name known to allEvelyn is a name known to allEvelyn is a name known to allEvelyn is a name known to allEvelyn is a name known to all

Thank all of you, I guess I have forgotten all the little things that work. I am going to have to put something at the bottom of the door of the room he is in as it has a very high opening at the bottom. So I can let him out in there in comfort, he can walk right under the door.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:15 PM   #6
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Hi, sweet girl!

Yes, the biggest problem is spending quality time with the p'lett. Wash towels are a no no. It will take some time before you can get Patsy to step up. Four dogs are a lot of activity. Here are some basics for having a p'lett.
Must have a large cage as their main home.
Must have plenty of human contact.

Must have plenty of foods.( seed mix, pellet mix, fresh veggies and fruits, treats.).
Must have toys that the bird is interested in.
Must be able to forage for treats and foods.( toys that provide holes for them to get food out of).
Must see an avian vet yearly, unless sick.
MUST HAVE ONE HUMAN TO BOND WITH. SOMETIMES TWO.
Must have different sized perches for healthy feet.
Must have a good and active VIEW from cage, this is why vets tell us to put the cage in the most active part of the house.

There are more, but these are the main things we must consider .

Dave
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:31 PM   #7
Evelyn

Thanks David, I have most checked off. I am trying to figure how to put his big cage in the living room without the dogs being able to get up to the cage, when I am not here. It is small with furniture on every wall. My Westie climbs up on all the chairs and tables. He is a problem. I will work on figuring that out.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:53 AM   #8
aqueilo

aqueilo is on a distinguished road

That's a good idea. We had the cage in the living room with my budgie and dog and my dog jumped at him once, got in so much trouble that he never looked at the bird ever again. My dog was extremely rambunctious and not a calm dog or well trained (he was a rescue from abuse and had some... problems lol). We made it work and you will too!

aqueilo is offline   Reply With Quote