Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Articles

Parrotlet Articles Check in here to read all about parrotlets! Lots of information will be posted here. Also, feel free to post your own articles here. (All threads posted here must be approved before they're displayed.)

Notices

Just an update on what’s going on.

This thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 279 times.

Old 03-06-2020, 05:09 PM   #1
Miss Mary

Miss Mary is on a distinguished road

Hi All. It’s been awhile since my last post so thought I would bring you up to date. The last I posted I believe I had mentioned that my Yorkie pup Roxie was diagnosed with Kidney failure in late May. I started in home dialysis and lots of meds the first of June knowing she would only be with me till she stopped responding to the medication. I’m heartbroken to say that I said goodbye to my Roxie on February 11th after 24 hours of suddenly going downhill. She had a good quality of life from June through early February and I am grateful for the extra time with her. I miss her terribly.
On a happier note Kai is surviving the kitchen renovation. As many of you know I was having my kitchen completely renovated with the exception of tearing out the walls in January and was very concerned for Kai. The actually didn’t start the project till February 3. Unfortunately Kai did not do well upstairs during our trial stay. Even though I took him up well in advanced and spent time with him up there he was not at all happy and stopped eating. After losing a couple of grams I became frightened and since I still had enough time I decided to set him up in the back room (TV room /den) at the end of the hall on the first floor since he was use to being in there with me on a regular basis. I bought an air purifier with a special filter for fumes and order remover and hooked up a mineral oil heater and a humidifier. The door is sealed off with plastic and a towel under it. The deck door is cracked ever so slightly to let in fresh air. Since I am using an electric heater I sleep on the couch to play safe. The kitchen has also been sealed off with a heavy plastic/zipper opening which I insisted was not to be opened. We have gotten through the first half of the renovation with no trouble. We are just about finished with having the cabinets installed and the appliances and countertop will be arriving this week. I am a little worried because the past three days I’ve noticed Kai is eating less and less of his chop/pellets but when I weigh him he isn’t losing any weight. I think this might be because I have been doing a lot of hand feeding since he’s been in the back room and maybe he is spoiled. I’ve decided not to hand feed and try and wait it out. What are your thoughts? Also, I was warned about the new stove. I think it’s called gas burn out? How many times do I need to use the stove once we are ready before it’s safe for Kai? I do not keep him in the kitchen but in the dinning room which off the kitchen. Thanks for any feedback back and hope all is well with you and your little babies.

Sorry, another question. I have been using plastic feeding cups for both pellets and water since I’ve had Kai (just under 16 months). It recently came to my attention that these plastic cups may be bad for Kai’s health and I should only use stainless steel. I didn’t know this. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited by Miss Mary; 03-06-2020 at 05:17 PM..
Miss Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2020, 06:10 PM   #2
JackieRTP

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

Hi Miss Mary. I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your Yorkie pup Roxie. It sounds like you have been monitoring Kai well during the kitchen renovations. You have definitely been responsive, and made adjustments when you noted he was not eating and losing weight. Regarding the new stove, you can pay some places to run it first to off-gas the chemicals and coatings. Not all places will do that though. I would contact the manufacturer(s) for the oven(s) that you are interested in to see what they advise for the initial burn off.
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:47 PM   #3
TheBeans

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

TheBeans has a spectacular aura aboutTheBeans has a spectacular aura about

I'm sorry for your loss of Roxie. And for what it's worth, when we moved into this house it came with a gas stove (which I had never had before) and it smelled odd for the first two times we turned it on. We weren't told about the gas burn out, but like any gas stove, you have to get the gas running thru all the lines before that odor is gone and that can take a few times. I'd suggest moving Kai to a room with a door (and close the door) while you get your stove up and running. Once you have gas running in all lines (meaning all burners work when you turn the knob to ignite them) you'll be fine. As for feed and water cups, I'd definitely switch to stainless. They are easy to clean and if you get a few of them you can rotate them thru the dishwasher.

Daisy's hatch-day: 12/10/2014
TheBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2020, 12:07 PM   #4
Miss Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeans View Post
I'm sorry for your loss of Roxie. And for what it's worth, when we moved into this house it came with a gas stove (which I had never had before) and it smelled odd for the first two times we turned it on. We weren't told about the gas burn out, but like any gas stove, you have to get the gas running thru all the lines before that odor is gone and that can take a few times. I'd suggest moving Kai to a room with a door (and close the door) while you get your stove up and running. Once you have gas running in all lines (meaning all burners work when you turn the knob to ignite them) you'll be fine. As for feed and water cups, I'd definitely switch to stainless. They are easy to clean and if you get a few of them you can rotate them thru the dishwasher.
Thank you for your reply and advice. I have already invested in stainless steel feeding and water cups.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:08 PM   #5
Miss Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
Hi Miss Mary. I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your Yorkie pup Roxie. It sounds like you have been monitoring Kai well during the kitchen renovations. You have definitely been responsive, and made adjustments when you noted he was not eating and losing weight. Regarding the new stove, you can pay some places to run it first to off-gas the chemicals and coatings. Not all places will do that though. I would contact the manufacturer(s) for the oven(s) that you are interested in to see what they advise for the initial burn off.
Thank you for your reply.