Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Articles

Parrotlet Articles Check in here to read all about parrotlets! Lots of information will be posted here. Also, feel free to post your own articles here. (All threads posted here must be approved before they're displayed.)

Notices

Can a Parrotlet be left alone at home?

This thread has 20 replies and has been viewed 2596 times.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:18 AM   #1
Miss Mary

Miss Mary is on a distinguished road

Kai is five months old and I’ve had him since he was eight weeks. He is a very healthy, happy, and well adjusted little guy. His diet mostly consist of Roudybush pellets right now but also eats fresh and cooked veggies, fruits, rice, etc. (I am still introducing him to foods) and a tablespoon of seeds every two to three days. His pellets always remain in his cage while his veggies etc. are hand fed. I often let my grandchildren, children, and friends hand feed him some of his favorite foods when they visit to help keep him social.This is my situation. I have to make a trip to Pennslvania and will be away from Thursday morning till Saturday afternoon. It is to cold for Kai to make a three hour drive and once there it will take a good hour to heat the house as the heat is off. I could board Kai or leave him at my daughters but hate to uproute him if I don’t have to since he is doing so well. My daughter doesn’t live far from me and has offered to drop by each day and spend some time with Kai during the time I am away. She will offer him his veggies etc. and change his pellets, water etc. while there. She will probably only be able to stay about two hours each day. My question is, has anyone ever left their Parrotlet alone while away? Is this a no no? I am trying to cause the least amount of stress to Kai and do what is best for him. If I didn’t have to go I wouldn’t. Any feed back would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Miss Mary; 02-28-2019 at 10:56 AM.. Reason: Wrong wording.
Miss Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2019, 11:51 AM   #2
Bryan

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Bryan will become famous soon enoughBryan will become famous soon enough

I am somewhat new myself but what you described sounds like it would be fine. Having your daughter change out his food and water everyday while spending a little time with him sounds fine to me. If you see him Thursday before you leave and then Saturday when you get back it is only for one day really.

Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:05 PM   #3
Miss Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
I am somewhat new myself but what you described sounds like it would be fine. Having your daughter change out his food and water everyday while spending a little time with him sounds fine to me. If you see him Thursday before you leave and then Saturday when you get back it is only for one day really.
Thank you so much for your reply. I thought I might leave a radio on low by his cage so it won’t be so quiet in the house. I could maybe put it on a timer so it doesn’t disturb him at night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2019, 08:51 PM   #4
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Question

Hi.
Two hours is not a lot of time since you are around him all day. I hope your daughter is trustworthy. People do promise and since we in this forum do not know her, it is up to you to trust her.

Birds at age 5 months are very dependent on the social interactions that they are used to having. Do you put him to bed? Cover him?

Here's what I suggest... Put extra food in the cage. Food is comfort to a baby. If he is covered at night, then HE MUST be covered.

He will do fine as long as he is warm and has toys. He could have a radio on or TV on during the day. Your daughter could be there to tuck him in and turn off the TV or radio, but what about the morning? He has to be uncovered, etc. If she could get there in the AM for an hour and PM for an hour, this would be ideal.

You will be gone Thur, Fri, and most of the day Sat? This is a not too long of a time. It all depends if he is covered at night. That is the only problem. If he is not usually covered, then you will be okay. I hope you havn't left yet.

David and Ricochet
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:36 PM   #5
Squeaky&Pixie

Squeaky&Pixie is on a distinguished road

Hello, welcome!

We have left our babies over the years for long weekends over a period of almost 40 years, ( leaving Friday am and coming back Monday pm ) and have had no problems at all. They tend to keep each other company by chatting back and forth, probably cussing us for being late with their treat!

We made sure they all had food and lots of water, our containers that we bought 35 years ago, hold up to 10 days of water and food each. So lots for them...also always made sure they were not in a drafty area in case the winds came up.

We never left any music on but if there would have been only one bird, we would have. They were used to being covered every night when we were home, and were fine even though not covered while away. For just 4 days we did not worry about someone coming in. If longer, then yes we had someone come in for the plants and they would also make sure the birds had food and water. But no outside time as they may not have been able to get them back in their cage, and would not have them loose while no one there. Always made sure there were also millet in the cage for them as well. Took out any toys that they could get hung up in such as their wool mop ( bunch of wool strands ) but otherwise everything stayed the same. Radio is a great idea, and maybe a light on till his normal bedtime, then timer off.

I think to a certain extent we tend to treat them like little people and over worry about them. For a few days like you are planing, i would honestly think that he would be fine if not covered up for the night, and even if he is alone most of the day and no out time, he will survive. Itís toupher on us than them.

Hope this helps give you an idea than they do fine even when left alone for short periods.. but ONLY short periods, as they do need the socializing aspect of the relationship. I am sure he will be fine.... Just my 2 cents worth!
Squeaky&Pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:59 AM   #6
rizzie5022

rizzie5022 is a jewel in the roughrizzie5022 is a jewel in the roughrizzie5022 is a jewel in the rough

We cover our Huey at night and when we leave him alone (even if we have someone come and feed him) we do not cover him. I always worry the person might be late and I didnt want him sitting in his cage covered for a long time.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:15 AM   #7
lindav

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

We've left Oliver with a sitter while away for 2 weeks. He is half covered for daytime. She does not cover him at night. She spends time with him during the day, usually less than one hour of getting him out of his cage.

We do not leave music for him to hear. He is used to a quiet house.

I don't like leaving him for any length of time, but sometimes there is no choice.

If your daughter visits with him, changes his water, fine. You are fortunate to have her spend that much time with him. Best to you.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:16 AM   #8
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzie5022 View Post
We cover our Huey at night and when we leave him alone (even if we have someone come and feed him) we do not cover him. I always worry the person might be late and I didnt want him sitting in his cage covered for a long time.
We do half covers at that time.
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 10:17 AM   #9
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really nice

He will be just fine. We've had to leave the birds for a couple days and had someone drop by to change food and water. I think once we had an overnight and we just gave them extra food and water. You could give him some millet for a comfort treat. I do the half cage cover or a corner and just leave it. Usually i try to get it over the perch where they sleep. He's even going to get time out, I never have anyone take the birds out because they are so difficult about getting them back in the cage. I can just see telling someone "Jasper you gave to get into the dark bathroom and cup him, Melody needs a Spritz from the sink and with a wet hand you have to pick her up and make sure you run to the cage and roll her into the boing... Lilly blah blah blah ..... Oh and if they fly onto the fan..."

Also when my husband and I were in Tuscon for surgery we were both in the hospital 4 days and only had a family member go by and feed her once a day. She was going through a hard time too without us but she was fine. When I got discharged my mother in law had her sitting in the dark during the day!!!
I was mad about that, I guess it didn't occur to me to tell someone to at least leave a light on for her since the window gave little light. Some people just don't get birds.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:14 PM   #10
Miss Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
Hi.
Two hours is not a lot of time since you are around him all day. I hope your daughter is trustworthy. People do promise and since we in this forum do not know her, it is up to you to trust her.

Birds at age 5 months are very dependent on the social interactions that they are used to having. Do you put him to bed? Cover him?

Here's what I suggest... Put extra food in the cage. Food is comfort to a baby. If he is covered at night, then HE MUST be covered.

He will do fine as long as he is warm and has toys. He could have a radio on or TV on during the day. Your daughter could be there to tuck him in and turn off the TV or radio, but what about the morning? He has to be uncovered, etc. If she could get there in the AM for an hour and PM for an hour, this would be ideal.

You will be gone Thur, Fri, and most of the day Sat? This is a not too long of a time. It all depends if he is covered at night. That is the only problem. If he is not usually covered, then you will be okay. I hope you havn't left yet.

David and Ricochet[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.talkparrotlets.com/images/smilies/cool.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.talkparrotlets.com/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
My daughter is very trustworthy. I have friends that use her to walk their dogs and others that have her take care of their cats when they go away. My older daughter uses her to go to her house and hand feed her sons bearded dragon when they go away. In the past I’ve also had her check in on my canary, fish, and plants when away. I have no problem with the care she will give Kai. She will doat on him while she visits. I doubt she will be able to come by twice a day. She works as a hair stylist and has a five year old son. I do cover Kai at night and say goodnight and yes, I uncover him in the morning and usually sing a good morning song to him while doing this. There is a heat lamp above the right side of his cage which is always on. I was actually going to leave him uncovered while away. We’ve gone out many times and didn’t get in till midnight and he was fine left uncovered. If it’s really going to be a problem I have a few weeks yet to start getting him use to not being covered. My daughter is willing to take him to her house but with her working and her son in school I though it would be best for Kai to stay in his own surroundings. She keeps her home much cooler and also has a dog. I am concerned now about him being covered. What will happen if I leave him uncovered? It’s only two nights and there is a slight chance we may not leave till Friday morning. I’m working on it.