Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Articles

Parrotlet Articles Check in here to read all about parrotlets! Lots of information will be posted here. Also, feel free to post your own articles here. (All threads posted here must be approved before they're displayed.)

Notices

Zoo Med Avain Floor Sun Lamp w/5.0 lamp bulb.

This thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 1207 times.

Old 03-25-2019, 08:03 PM   #11
rizzie5022

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

rizzie5022 is a jewel in the roughrizzie5022 is a jewel in the roughrizzie5022 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mary View Post
Kai is on the side of a big window but a large tree outside the window blocks most of the morning light and the sun moves around to the back of the house at noon. I usually donít have him uncovered by 7:00 in the morning when he would get about two hours of good sun. Iíve been leaving the lamp on four to five hours every day. Do you think that is to little? Also, do you think the distance is ok?
I think distance is ok, There is no right or wrong, go with what you feel is right.

You have been given lots of different answers, and that is typical of this forum. We all have different experiences and opinions. You do what you feel is best for your bird. You can always add more or less time after you monitor for a bit.

Huey is in front of a window that has sheer white curtains on it, he does not get direct sunlight but I still only have the light on for 3 hours a day. 12-3.
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2019, 11:04 PM   #12
Miss Mary

Miss Mary is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzie5022 View Post
Quote:
Kai is on the side of a big window but a large tree outside the window blocks most of the morning light and the sun moves around to the back of the house at noon. I usually don’t have him uncovered by 7:00 in the morning when he would get about two hours of good sun. I’ve been leaving the lamp on four to five hours every day. Do you think that is to little? Also, do you think the distance is ok?
I think distance is ok, There is no right or wrong, go with what you feel is right.

You have been given lots of different answers, and that is typical of this forum. We all have different experiences and opinions. You do what you feel is best for your bird. You can always add more or less time after you monitor for a bit.

Huey is in front of a window that has sheer white curtains on it, he does not get direct sunlight but I still only have the light on for 3 hours a day. 12-3.
Thank you. Was wondering how can you tell if your bird is getting burned? Not that I think Kai is. I’m just wondering. I was very carefull to read and follow everything according to the lamp instructions and he appears just fine. Think I may be worrying to much since I read they could get burned.
Miss Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:18 AM   #13
rizzie5022

rizzie5022 is a jewel in the roughrizzie5022 is a jewel in the roughrizzie5022 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Thank you. Was wondering how can you tell if your bird is getting burned? Not that I think Kai is. Iím just wondering. I was very carefull to read and follow everything according to the lamp instructions and he appears just fine. Think I may be worrying to much since I read they could get burned.
I think as long as there are places that the bird can go to get away from the top of the cage, (your lamp is placed 12-18 inches above the top) then they will be fine. Birds are pretty smart creatures, they will figure it out.

My guy sits on his highest perch when the lamp is on and chirps away for a bit then he goes about his business. Some days he stays longer other days he can not be bothered to sunbathe lol
Old 03-26-2019, 07:03 AM   #14
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Thank you. Was wondering how can you tell if your bird is getting burned? Not that I think Kai is. Iím just wondering. I was very carefull to read and follow everything according to the lamp instructions and he appears just fine. Think I may be worrying to much since I read they could get burned.
It is a low level UV burn which is effectively a sun burn. So if you little one gets a sun burn then you have the light too close.
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:35 AM   #15
Bryan

Bryan will become famous soon enoughBryan will become famous soon enough

I don't know how accurate it was and the guy sells avian lights himself but there is a youtube video of a guy showing the output of bulbs. In the video he shows that there is very little to no useful uv light that actually makes it down to the bird. I know this has very little meaning here but I would not worry so much about it. Just follow what the manufacturer suggests and your birds reaction.

I keep a lot of toys on top of Pip's cage so that gives him a way to get out of the light but he doesn't. He spends most of his resting time on the high perch. Well he spends a lot of time on the top of his swing now he even sleeps up there. I do not know how hanging on the side of a swing can be a nice place to sleep... haha

Now the reason I went with 10 hours is because I had read it someplace in my research. I am not sure where it was at now but it was likely from an avian vet article of some kind and they recommended 10 hours. This and Pip does not get any natural light because my windows are older and a little drafty so his cage is far away from them.

Here is the link to that youtube video I talked about if anyone is interested..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3RmIFArpC4

Edit: I found that article of the doctor talking about light if you want to have a look..
https://healthypets.mercola.com/site...let-light.aspx

Last edited by Bryan; 03-26-2019 at 08:56 AM..
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:46 PM   #16
Miss Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
I don't know how accurate it was and the guy sells avian lights himself but there is a youtube video of a guy showing the output of bulbs. In the video he shows that there is very little to no useful uv light that actually makes it down to the bird. I know this has very little meaning here but I would not worry so much about it. Just follow what the manufacturer suggests and your birds reaction.

I keep a lot of toys on top of Pip's cage so that gives him a way to get out of the light but he doesn't. He spends most of his resting time on the high perch. Well he spends a lot of time on the top of his swing now he even sleeps up there. I do not know how hanging on the side of a swing can be a nice place to sleep... haha

Now the reason I went with 10 hours is because I had read it someplace in my research. I am not sure where it was at now but it was likely from an avian vet article of some kind and they recommended 10 hours. This and Pip does not get any natural light because my windows are older and a little drafty so his cage is far away from them.

Here is the link to that youtube video I talked about if anyone is interested..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3RmIFArpC4

Edit: I found that article of the doctor talking about light if you want to have a look..
https://healthypets.mercola.com/site...let-light.aspx
Thank you so much for your reply and for the research work you did. I watched the entire video and was amazed to hear what he had to say about the lamps.Truthfully I was also stunned to learn that the Airborne I’ve been taking for the past three winters has nothing in it to prevent me from getting sick. Lol!!! Out that goes. I really appreciate you sending me the video and website which I will check out tomorrow as it is late now and I need some sleep. Thanks again.

Last edited by Miss Mary; 03-27-2019 at 11:26 PM..
Old 03-27-2019, 11:32 PM   #17
Miss Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie3860 View Post
Quote:
Thank you. Was wondering how can you tell if your bird is getting burned? Not that I think Kai is. I’m just wondering. I was very carefull to read and follow everything according to the lamp instructions and he appears just fine. Think I may be worrying to much since I read they could get burned.
It is a low level UV burn which is effectively a sun burn. So if you little one gets a sun burn then you have the light too close.
Thank you for your reply. I moved the lamp closer to 18 inches from the highest perch so I think he is fine although I think he was fine with it at 14 inches. I think I got worried when I read about birds getting burned.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:40 PM   #18
Miss Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzie5022 View Post
Quote:
I think as long as there are places that the bird can go to get away from the top of the cage, (your lamp is placed 12-18 inches above the top) then they will be fine. Birds are pretty smart creatures, they will figure it out.

My guy sits on his highest perch when the lamp is on and chirps away for a bit then he goes about his business. Some days he stays longer other days he can not be bothered to sunbathe lol
Thank you for your replay. Kai likes to sit on the highest perch when he is resting or sleeping. I did put the lamp near 18 inches although I am sure it was ok at 14 inches. I started to worry when I was about birds getting burned.