Space heaters? - Talk Parrotlets Forums



User Menu
Forum Home
Parrotlet Gallery
Today's Posts
Log In
Register now!
Search



Advanced Search
Forums
Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Housing

Do It Yourself

Parrotlet Pictures

Your Parrotlet's Health

Parrotlet Diet

Training and Bonding

Parrotlet Breeding

Parrotlet Articles

Parrotlet Rainbow Bridge

Parrotlet Vet Listing

Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Articles

Parrotlet Articles Check in here to read all about parrotlets! Lots of information will be posted here. Also, feel free to post your own articles here. (All threads posted here must be approved before they're displayed.)

Notices

Space heaters?

This thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 2212 times.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2019, 04:21 PM   #1
Miss Mary
Senior Member
 
Miss Mary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 233


Karma: 10
Rep Power: 2
Miss Mary is on a distinguished road

Space heaters?

Does anyone use space heaters or knows which ones are safe for birds? Would be great full for any suggestions.
Miss Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-18-2019, 04:51 PM   #2
Bryan
Senior Member
 
Bryan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Missouri
Posts: 1,238

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Karma: 132
Rep Power: 5
Bryan will become famous soon enoughBryan will become famous soon enough

Dave is always saying how well his oil filled heater works and they do seem like the best option to use around birds. I did a quick google of them and they seem to be what everyone deems the safest for birds.

Quote:
Oil-filled radiators are your best bet around birds. They are
clean-burning, do not emit any particulates or dangerous
gases, and are cool to the touch. They do not usually have a
nonstick coating. However, never say never, so as with every
other heating system, make sure you check with the
manufacturer, and, if in doubt, run it for a few days far away
from your birds.
__________________


Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:18 PM   #3
David Miller
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Orlando
Posts: 4,678

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Karma: 306
Rep Power: 21
David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Bryan is correct! I have been using mineral oil filled radiators for 40 years. These are radiators filled with oil and when the oil heats up inside of it, heat radiates from it and warms up a room for pennies a night.


Get mineral oil filled ones. Google-" Oil Filled Radiator Heaters"


You can put these radiators 3 feet from the cage. The heat is odorless, colorless, clean and if tipped over, will not burn anything and will shut off. Ricochet's cage is up on a bar top and the radiator i below him and about 2 feet away.


He wakes up each morning raring to go and it does not dry the air out at all!


The price ranges from$39.00 up to $199.00 dollars. Put it near your bird. A medium sized one will warm up an average room, let's say, 12 feet by 15 feet for about the cost of one that is about $65.00 or less.



If you get one ( I do not know why you won't), order it NOW> There are always shortages of them all over the world during the weather when it is already cold outside. They work great.



Walmart, Home Depo, etc sells them, or at least they did last year. I have one heater that is 15 years old and uses less energy than and electric blanket!


Go ahead NOW....Google it.




David and Ricochet
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-23-2019, 11:31 PM   #4
Miss Mary
Senior Member
 
Miss Mary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 233


Karma: 10
Rep Power: 2
Miss Mary is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
Bryan is correct! I have been using mineral oil filled radiators for 40 years. These are radiators filled with oil and when the oil heats up inside of it, heat radiates from it and warms up a room for pennies a night.


Get mineral oil filled ones. Google-" Oil Filled Radiator Heaters"


You can put these radiators 3 feet from the cage. The heat is odorless, colorless, clean and if tipped over, will not burn anything and will shut off. Ricochet's cage is up on a bar top and the radiator i below him and about 2 feet away.


He wakes up each morning raring to go and it does not dry the air out at all!


The price ranges from$39.00 up to $199.00 dollars. Put it near your bird. A medium sized one will warm up an average room, let's say, 12 feet by 15 feet for about the cost of one that is about $65.00 or less.



If you get one ( I do not know why you won't), order it NOW> There are always shortages of them all over the world during the weather when it is already cold outside. They work great.



Walmart, Home Depo, etc sells them, or at least they did last year. I have one heater that is 15 years old and uses less energy than and electric blanket!


Go ahead NOW....Google it.




David and Ricochet[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.talkparrotlets.com/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.talkparrotlets.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]
Thank you David. I actually have a very old Delonghi oil filled radiator in my TV room where the temperature tends to drop due to deck doors. Kai did very well with it last winter when he would spend time with me in that room. We recently had our front porch closed in but had lots of windows put in so we could still use it as a porch. We did not have it heated as the building department would consider it an added room and our taxes would go up. They did suggest we have a separate outlet for a space heater in case we wanted to use it occasionally during the colder weather or air conditioner in case it gets to warm during the summer. I was looking for a small ceramic heater that I could easily move from room to room when needed. I ended up buying another Delonghi oil heater.
Miss Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:34 PM   #5
Miss Mary
Senior Member
 
Miss Mary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 233


Karma: 10
Rep Power: 2
Miss Mary is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
Dave is always saying how well his oil filled heater works and they do seem like the best option to use around birds. I did a quick google of them and they seem to be what everyone deems the safest for birds.

Quote:
Oil-filled radiators are your best bet around birds. They are
clean-burning, do not emit any particulates or dangerous
gases, and are cool to the touch. They do not usually have a
nonstick coating. However, never say never, so as with every
other heating system, make sure you check with the
manufacturer, and, if in doubt, run it for a few days far away
from your birds.
Thank you Bryan. I saw David’s reply and ended up purchasing a Delonghi oil filled radiator.
Miss Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:44 PM   #6
David Miller
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Orlando
Posts: 4,678

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Karma: 306
Rep Power: 21
David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

I am glad you did! They are so quiet and they work. Last year, it was almost impossible to find one worldwide! There was an early cold winter that hit throughout the world and people bought every one out there! There was one company that started up and made a real cheap model of the oil radiator and they were recalled. They leaked after a few nights! It wasn't a Delonghi brand, but it was a weird named one.
I wouldn't suggest any product that was not tried and true!

Have a nice warm winter!


Dave
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 03:56 PM   #7
Miss Mary
Senior Member
 
Miss Mary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 233


Karma: 10
Rep Power: 2
Miss Mary is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
I am glad you did! They are so quiet and they work. Last year, it was almost impossible to find one worldwide! There was an early cold winter that hit throughout the world and people bought every one out there! There was one company that started up and made a real cheap model of the oil radiator and they were recalled. They leaked after a few nights! It wasn't a Delonghi brand, but it was a weird named one.
I wouldn't suggest any product that was not tried and true!

Have a nice warm winter!


Dave[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.talkparrotlets.com/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Thank you David. I try to be very careful which is why I am constantly posting all sorts of questions. I am so thankful for all the help everyone offers. I have another issue that I will be having to deal with regarding Kai but will post it when I have more time. Thanks again for all your replies. Be well and happy.
Miss Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:08 PM   #8
Miss Mary
Senior Member
 
Miss Mary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 233


Karma: 10
Rep Power: 2
Miss Mary is on a distinguished road

For your knowledge.

I received an e-mail from customer service stating that the Handy Heater (ceramic heater) is PTFE free and also have confirmation that Lasko heaters contain no PTFE. I still feel more comfortable using a product that someone else has been using but thought I would pass this information on.
Miss Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:27 AM   #9
Katland
Junior Member
 
Katland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 1

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Karma: 10
Rep Power: 0
Katland is on a distinguished road

Found this on amazon. The size of a small flat screen tv, very nice backed up against my parrotlet cage. Has anyone else used such a product?

Cozy Products CL Safe Chicken... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LX9K1JI...p_mob_ap_share
Katland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:02 PM   #10
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator
 
Mrs.JP3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 6,375

Parrotlets Owned: 3
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Karma: 433
Rep Power: 23
Mrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mary View Post
For your knowledge.

I received an e-mail from customer service stating that the Handy Heater (ceramic heater) is PTFE free and also have confirmation that Lasko heaters contain no PTFE. I still feel more comfortable using a product that someone else has been using but thought I would pass this information on.
This here: it's the coatings that worries me. Definitely check the coatings. And for anyone reading this NEVER use a kerosene heater. They are deadly.
__________________

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


REMEMBER TO VOTE FOR US DAILY!

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:03 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2006 - , 2403 Networks LLC, All rights reserved.