Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Articles

Parrotlet Articles Check in here to read all about parrotlets! Lots of information will be posted here. Also, feel free to post your own articles here. (All threads posted here must be approved before they're displayed.)

Notices

Brown rice, spices, and herbs. How often?

This thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 593 times.

Old 09-09-2019, 11:00 PM   #1
Miss Mary

Miss Mary is on a distinguished road

Brown rice, spices, and herbs. How often?

Until now I haven’t used any spices or herbs in any of the foods I’ve prepared for Kai. He is a good eater and I’ve had no issues with him enjoying his meals. However, I have been reading how important spices and herbs are to his well being and recently picked up several spices etc. all are organic and the cinnamon is Ceylon. My question is, how often should I add spices to his food? Also, how often can I mix brown rice into his food. I read rice contains arsenic. How much is to much? All replies welcomed.
Miss Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 11:49 PM   #2
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Hi, again!

You are absolutely correct about rice having a certain amount of natural arsenic in it. Actually, it is ON IT.( Rice is a grass seed and the husk that encapsulates the rice pod contains arsenic) Before any time you cook rice for human or animal or parrotlet, it is very advisable to rinse the rice off with warm water and let it soak in cold/cool/tap water for a minute or so, then completely rinse it with running cold/cool tap water. Put rice in a colander/strainer to rinse.

Then cook it the way you want. I cook plain white or brown rice---one cup of rice per 2 cups of water, bring to a boil, cover and put on low for 20 minutes. You can add spices if you want.

Remember::: Put NO salt in a spice mix or any food for a bird.

Dave
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:54 PM   #3
JackieRTP

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

JackieRTP will become famous soon enough

Spices are completely safe for birds as long as there is no added salt or sodium as mentioned. Ceylon cinnamon is the only safe type of cinnamon for them. Go ahead and spice up his life!
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2019, 12:54 AM   #4
Miss Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
Hi, again!

You are absolutely correct about rice having a certain amount of natural arsenic in it. Actually, it is ON IT.( Rice is a grass seed and the husk that encapsulates the rice pod contains arsenic) Before any time you cook rice for human or animal or parrotlet[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.talkparrotlets.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG], it is very advisable to rinse the rice off with warm water and let it soak in cold/cool/tap water for a minute or so, then completely rinse it with running cold/cool tap water. Put rice in a colander/strainer to rinse.

Then cook it the way you want. I cook plain white or brown rice---one cup of rice per 2 cups of water, bring to a boil, cover and put on low for 20 minutes. You can add spices if you want.

Remember::: Put NO salt in a spice mix or any food for a bird.

Dave[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.talkparrotlets.com/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
Thanks David.It appears you and I are on the same page when it comes to rice. I rinsed the rice off and let it soak for about 5 minutes. Cooked it exactly as you said. Added the veggies etc. but then had second thoughts about giving it to Kai. I ended up wrapping it by tablespoons and freezing it till I could check with people in the forum.

Thanks for the reminder regarding salt. I add salt to nothing. That includes my own food.

Last edited by Miss Mary; 09-11-2019 at 12:59 AM..
Old 09-11-2019, 01:04 AM   #5
Miss Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
Spices are completely safe for birds as long as there is no added salt or sodium as mentioned. Ceylon cinnamon is the only safe type of cinnamon for them. Go ahead and spice up his life!
I had read that Ceylon cinnamon was the only safe cinnamon for them but was hard to find. I found it in a local organic store WILD GINGER. I picked up the rest of my spices for Kai there. Thanks for your reply.