Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Articles

Parrotlet Articles Check in here to read all about parrotlets! Lots of information will be posted here. Also, feel free to post your own articles here. (All threads posted here must be approved before they're displayed.)

Notices

CAGE CLEANING and DISINFECTING. How Often?

This thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 404 times.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:35 AM   #1
Miss Mary

Miss Mary is on a distinguished road

CAGE CLEANING and DISINFECTING. How Often?

Because I have two homes Kai has four cages. One large cage in each home and one smaller cage that I move about from room to room (a suggestion I saw in a video) when the house is to quiet. I have not taken Kai to my second home yet as the weather has been to cold to travel with him but as it warms up and it is safe I will be taking him. I’ve been cleaning and disinfecting his two cages every four weeks as suggested. I also wipe over Kai’s cages every night before I put him in for the night. In a few more weeks I will have four cages to wash and disinfect. I am just wondering if I can go a bit longer or if it is really necessary to wash and disinfect that often. I want to make sure I do the right thing so Kai continues to be a happy thriving little guy. Any feedback is appreciated.
Miss Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2019, 08:57 PM   #2
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mary View Post
Because I have two homes Kai has four cages. One large cage in each home and one smaller cage that I move about from room to room (a suggestion I saw in a video) when the house is to quiet. I have not taken Kai to my second home yet as the weather has been to cold to travel with him but as it warms up and it is safe I will be taking him. Iíve been cleaning and disinfecting his two cages every four weeks as suggested. I also wipe over Kaiís cages every night before I put him in for the night. In a few more weeks I will have four cages to wash and disinfect. I am just wondering if I can go a bit longer or if it is really necessary to wash and disinfect that often. I want to make sure I do the right thing so Kai continues to be a happy thriving little guy. Any feedback is appreciated.

It all depends how messy your birdy's poo do is. I disinfect Ricochet's cage once a month, but change the bottom of his cage every week with a quick wipe down with those disinfectant wipes.

I take Ricochet out of the cage anytime I wipe it down.

This reminds me~~~~****One day I was washing clothes and Bogie was on my shoulder. I had to wash some towels that had medicine spilled on them, so I sprayed the spots with Formula 409 spray.

Bogie started sneezing uncontrollably and I rushed him to the emergency hospital . It was closer than his vet. They gave him oxygen and took a wet cloth and wiped Bogie's beak off and the surrounding feathers off that were near his nostrils. I asked why and they said that if he breathed too much of the 409, residue would still be on his nostrils and feathers.

The vapor was in the air.

So, watch what you spray in the air when your bird is around.(hair spray? Perfume? Cleaners? ).....~~~~~~~

David and Ricochet
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote