Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Articles

Parrotlet Articles Check in here to read all about parrotlets! Lots of information will be posted here. Also, feel free to post your own articles here. (All threads posted here must be approved before they're displayed.)

Notices

Any specific age a Parrotlet starts to talk?

This thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1080 times.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:31 AM   #1
Miss Mary

Miss Mary is on a distinguished road

Any specific age a Parrotlet starts to talk?

Is there any specific age that a Parrotlet starts to talk? Kai chatters, sings, and makes all sorts of funny sounds but definitely not talking. He is just 22 weeks and in the middle of his first molt.
Miss Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2019, 10:27 PM   #2
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Hi. Good question.

Of course, talking depends on the bird! Males and female p'letts can talk, but it is usually the male who will speak out. This is because of mating rituals. The male wants to impress his mate or attract another mate, so not only does he look more colorful, but he likes to be a clown!

I have had many birds, but only two p'letts. Both males and both were very busy talkers. Both talked early. Bogie started talking human words at age three months. Once he started, I had to really encourage him to talk. I spent a lot of time talking to him. Now, Ricochet is different. I picked him up at age 8 weeks and before we got home, he started talking. He said, " Pretty bird " very clearly several times in the hour and a half it took to get home! I kept saying," Pretty Bird " to him. The owner I got him from thought he talked, but wasn't sure. Well, he talked!

Kai will talk. You have to get in his face and have a serious talk with him. He will listen to your voice. Now, if any advice can be considered the most important advice you could get, then what I am going to tell you is that advice!!!

If you want your bird to talk, you have to talk...and talk consistently and a lot!
Do not change the words around. For instance, if you want Kai to say, " I'm a pretty bird ", then this is what you have to say to him EVERY time! Do not say, " You're a pretty bird! " Because guess what? He will say, " You're a pretty bird! "

Another example: If you want Kai to ask for a yum yum, then say to him, " Give me a yum yum ", or say, " Kai wants a yum yum ". Once he learns to say that he wants a yum yum or treat, then you can say, " Kai wants a yum yum?". (In question form) and he will repeat, " Kai wants a yum yum! ".
You have to say exactly what you want him to repeat.
Birds can relate the subject matter to you. Bogie asked for treats all the time and he got them!

You have to think like a bird.

Kai will talk if you are dedicated enough. You can not try to teach him to repeat something for one or two days, then forget about it. You have to teach him every day! I found out once a bird catches onto human talk, they really want to talk human! When Ricochet says a new word or sentence, I celebrate! I say, " Ricco's a good boy! Ricco's a good boy!" Guess what he repeats back to me? You got it! He says, " Ricco's a good boy! Ricco's a good boy! " and he knows it!

I hope this helps!

David and RicochetIn the Spirit of Bogie

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:28 PM   #3
JackieRTP

Parrotlets Owned: 1

JackieRTP will become famous soon enough

I have a male parrotlet named Rio who is over a year and a half and does not talk. This is not my first pet parrotlet though. I have had other parrotlets in the past. I had two males (at different times) who talked. It definitely depends on the bird though. I do not expect Rio to talk at this point, but I have not given up hope.
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2019, 01:13 AM   #4
Miss Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
Hi. Good question.

Of course, talking depends on the bird! Males and female p'letts can talk, but it is usually the male who will speak out. This is because of mating rituals. The male wants to impress his mate or attract another mate, so not only does he look more colorful, but he likes to be a clown!

I have had many birds, but only two p'letts. Both males and both were very busy talkers. Both talked early. Bogie started talking human words at age three months. Once he started, I had to really encourage him to talk. I spent a lot of time talking to him. Now, Ricochet is different. I picked him up at age 8 weeks and before we got home, he started talking. He said, " Pretty bird " very clearly several times in the hour and a half it took to get home! I kept saying," Pretty Bird " to him. The owner I got him from thought he talked, but wasn't sure. Well, he talked!

Kai will talk. You have to get in his face and have a serious talk with him. He will listen to your voice. Now, if any advice can be considered the most important advice you could get, then what I am going to tell you is that advice!!!

If you want your bird to talk, you have to talk...and talk consistently and a lot!
Do not change the words around. For instance, if you want Kai to say, " I'm a pretty bird ", then this is what you have to say to him EVERY time! Do not say, " You're a pretty bird! " Because guess what? He will say, " You're a pretty bird! "

Another example: If you want Kai to ask for a yum yum, then say to him, " Give me a yum yum ", or say, " Kai wants a yum yum ". Once he learns to say that he wants a yum yum or treat, then you can say, " Kai wants a yum yum?". (In question form) and he will repeat, " Kai wants a yum yum! ".
You have to say exactly what you want him to repeat.
Birds can relate the subject matter to you. Bogie asked for treats all the time and he got them!

You have to think like a bird.

Kai will talk if you are dedicated enough. You can not try to teach him to repeat something for one or two days, then forget about it. You have to teach him every day! I found out once a bird catches onto human talk, they really want to talk human! When Ricochet says a new word or sentence, I celebrate! I say, " Ricco's a good boy! Ricco's a good boy!" Guess what he repeats back to me? You got it! He says, " Ricco's a good boy! Ricco's a good boy! " and he knows it!

I hope this helps!

David and Ricochet[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.talkparrotlets.com/images/smilies/cool.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.talkparrotlets.com/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]In the Spirit of Bogie[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.talkparrotlets.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.talkparrotlets.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.talkparrotlets.com/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif[/IMG]

Thank you so much for your very informative reply. Yes, you have been of great help. I talk and sing to Kai all the time but I see a major mistake I make. I use the same words I want him to repeat but will sometimes switch the phrase around. He does chatter and makes all sorts of silly sounds so I tend to think he is trying. He is going through a big molt and was wondering if that might also be causing a delay. Is there a cut off age that if they are not talking by then they won’t talk? Kai is my first Parrotlet so I am full of questions. Sorry.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:17 AM   #5
Miss Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
I have a male parrotlet named Rio who is over a year and a half and does not talk. This is not my first pet parrotlet though. I have had other parrotlets in the past. I had two males (at different times) who talked. It definitely depends on the bird though. I do not expect Rio to talk at this point, but I have not given up hope.
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I was wondering if there was a cut off age for them talking. Don’t give up. He just might surprise you one of these days. Good luck.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:07 PM   #6
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Miss Mary,
There's no cut off date for them to stop learning new phrases. But, as with my Bogie, it became harder to get him to repeat new words when he got older.

He was ten when he passed. When he was nine years old, I taught him a rather difficult word phrase about a " Tic toc clock " . It took me a year to teach him to say the whole 10 word phrase.
He learned more words easier when he was between the age of 5 months to 7 years of age. After 7 years, it became difficult. His brain is only so big and his vocabulary was 65 words, sentences and phrases. That is a lot for a small brain to process and remember.

Ricochet has learned 28 words, sentences and phrases and he is 7 months old. At this rate, I expect him to surpass Bogie's total.
BUT~~~ I am re-thinking this! It takes a lot of time and effort to teach them so many words and I am getting older by the day and my patience is getting shorter. I think I am going to relax my effort and let Ricochet just live and have as much fun as possible! He brings me so much joy! And peace!

David and Ricochet
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:31 PM   #7
Miss Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
Miss Mary,
There's no cut off date for them to stop learning new phrases. But, as with my Bogie, it became harder to get him to repeat new words when he got older.

He was ten when he passed. When he was nine years old, I taught him a rather difficult word phrase about a " Tic toc clock " . It took me a year to teach him to say the whole 10 word phrase.
He learned more words easier when he was between the age of 5 months to 7 years of age. After 7 years, it became difficult. His brain is only so big and his vocabulary was 65 words, sentences and phrases. That is a lot for a small brain to process and remember.

Ricochet has learned 28 words, sentences and phrases and he is 7 months old. At this rate, I expect him to surpass Bogie's total.
BUT~~~ I am re-thinking this! It takes a lot of time and effort to teach them so many words and I am getting older by the day and my patience is getting shorter. I think I am going to relax my effort and let Ricochet just live and have as much fun as possible! He brings me so much joy! And peace!

David and Ricochet[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.talkparrotlets.com/images/smilies/cool.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.talkparrotlets.com/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
So sorry to hear about your Bogie but happy that you find such joy and peace in Ricochet. Kai is just over five months and he does an awful lot of chattering, chirping, and making all sorts of sounds but no words or phrases yet. I switch from repeating “hello” several times a day to “Kai is a pretty boy” several times a day. I hope that isn’t confusing him. I also sing to him and talk to him normally. He loves to listen to me. Thank you for taking the time to reply. Good to know I have lots of time to work with him.

Last edited by Miss Mary; 03-11-2019 at 11:28 PM..
Old 03-14-2019, 07:22 AM   #8
rizzie5022

Parrotlets Owned: 2

rizzie5022 is a jewel in the roughrizzie5022 is a jewel in the roughrizzie5022 is a jewel in the rough

My Huey has been talking up a storm for years now. The problem is, we can not tell what he is saying but he says the same things over and over again.

Hubby is better at hearing the actual words than I am. But every now and then something comes out so clear we just laugh and shake our heads and say "that is what he has been saying"

I never tried to teach him to talk, I just talk to him all of the time. I do say the same things lots of times, but some things he picks up are just random things he has heard in the house.

I even tried to record him and play is slowly but can not decipher it but it is the same "words" over and over every time. So he is telling us something for sure.

Maybe it is the secret to why he pulls out his beautiful green feathers?
Old 03-22-2019, 04:59 PM   #9
Miss Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzie5022 View Post
My Huey has been talking up a storm for years now. The problem is, we can not tell what he is saying but he says the same things over and over again.

Hubby is better at hearing the actual words than I am. But every now and then something comes out so clear we just laugh and shake our heads and say "that is what he has been saying"

I never tried to teach him to talk, I just talk to him all of the time. I do say the same things lots of times, but some things he picks up are just random things he has heard in the house.

I even tried to record him and play is slowly but can not decipher it but it is the same "words" over and over every time. So he is telling us something for sure.

Maybe it is the secret to why he pulls out his beautiful green feathers?[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.talkparrotlets.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]
Thank you for your reply. Funny to hear that Huey does all that talking and most of the time his words aren’t audible. Sounds like my Kai. He chatters and chatters but I have no clue what he is saying. Sometimes I think I hear a word but then wonder if I just hear it because I want to hear it. I know he listens very intently when I speak to him or repeat words or phrases so I am inclined to think he will eventually make sense.