Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Articles

Parrotlet Articles Check in here to read all about parrotlets! Lots of information will be posted here. Also, feel free to post your own articles here. (All threads posted here must be approved before they're displayed.)

Notices

Can a Parrotlet be left alone at home?

This thread has 20 replies and has been viewed 2338 times.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:42 PM   #11
Miss Mary

Miss Mary is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky&Pixie View Post
Hello, welcome!

We have left our babies over the years for long weekends over a period of almost 40 years, ( leaving Friday am and coming back Monday pm ) and have had no problems at all. They tend to keep each other company by chatting back and forth, probably cussing us for being late with their treat! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.talkparrotlets.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

We made sure they all had food and lots of water, our containers that we bought 35 years ago, hold up to 10 days of water and food each. So lots for them...also always made sure they were not in a drafty area in case the winds came up.

We never left any music on but if there would have been only one bird, we would have. They were used to being covered every night when we were home, and were fine even though not covered while away. For just 4 days we did not worry about someone coming in. If longer, then yes we had someone come in for the plants and they would also make sure the birds had food and water. But no outside time as they may not have been able to get them back in their cage, and would not have them loose while no one there. Always made sure there were also millet in the cage for them as well. Took out any toys that they could get hung up in such as their wool mop ( bunch of wool strands ) but otherwise everything stayed the same. Radio is a great idea, and maybe a light on till his normal bedtime, then timer off.

I think to a certain extent we tend to treat them like little people and over worry about them. For a few days like you are planing, i would honestly think that he would be fine if not covered up for the night, and even if he is alone most of the day and no out time, he will survive. It’s toupher on us than them.

Hope this helps give you an idea than they do fine even when left alone for short periods.. but ONLY short periods, as they do need the socializing aspect of the relationship. I am sure he will be fine...[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.talkparrotlets.com/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]. Just my 2 cents worth![IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.talkparrotlets.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/IMG]
I can’t thank you enough for your two cents worth. I was beginning to feel comfortable leaving Kai knowing my daughter would be coming by at least two hours a day to spend time with him and tend to his needs. He knows my daughter and she has hand fed him while visiting and scratched his head etc. For a night or two (I am trying to see if we can leave Friday morning instead) I thought this was the best thing to do for Kai. I had no plans on asking her to cover and uncover him because she will be working Kai around her clients (she’s a hair stylist) and her son’s school hours. If she covers him she may not make it back till noon or later the next day to uncover him. He has a heat lamp above his cage so I doubt he’ll get cold if the cover is off. Anyway, I was a bit concerned about the covering and uncovering and what problems it might cause. I was really relieved to hear that your birds had no ill affects from being left uncovered while you were away so thank you so much for your two cents.
Miss Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2019, 09:51 PM   #12
Miss Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzie5022 View Post
We cover our Huey at night and when we leave him alone (even if we have someone come and feed him) we do not cover him. I always worry the person might be late and I didnt want him sitting in his cage covered for a long time.
Thank you so much for sharing with me. I was starting to worry but am feeling so much better hearing birds that are normally covered at night have no ill affects if not covered when away. I don’t think my daughter can make a trip both morning and night and like you I don’t want the bird left covered half the day. Thanks again. I really appreciate your input.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:19 PM   #13
Miss Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindav View Post
We've left Oliver with a sitter while away for 2 weeks. He is half covered for daytime. She does not cover him at night. She spends time with him during the day, usually less than one hour of getting him out of his cage.

We do not leave music for him to hear. He is used to a quiet house.

I don't like leaving him for any length of time, but sometimes there is no choice.

If your daughter visits with him, changes his water, fine. You are fortunate to have her spend that much time with him. Best to you.
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Funny, I did think of covering half his cage. Might still do it. Our home is pretty active. Kai is use to hearing all sorts of sounds all day. Between my 12 year old pup Roxie (she will be making the trip with us), my retired husband’s fire radio and television, my grandchildren who I watch two days a week and more if they have no school, and my own noise Kai is not use to it being quiet except for night time. That is why I thought I would leave a radio on (maybe news channel). I would put it on a timer so it goes off at night. I have a few weeks to figure it all out. Thank you again. Your reply has eased my worries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2019, 12:16 PM   #14
Miss Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JP3 View Post
He will be just fine. We've had to leave the birds for a couple days and had someone drop by to change food and water. I think once we had an overnight and we just gave them extra food and water. You could give him some millet for a comfort treat. I do the half cage cover or a corner and just leave it. Usually i try to get it over the perch where they sleep. He's even going to get time out, I never have anyone take the birds out because they are so difficult about getting them back in the cage. I can just see telling someone "Jasper you gave to get into the dark bathroom and cup him, Melody needs a Spritz from the sink and with a wet hand you have to pick her up and make sure you run to the cage and roll her into the boing... Lilly blah blah blah ..... Oh and if they fly onto the fan..."
[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.talkparrotlets.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.talkparrotlets.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/IMG][IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.talkparrotlets.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/IMG]
Also when my husband and I were in Tuscon for surgery we were both in the hospital 4 days and only had a family member go by and feed her once a day. She was going through a hard time too without us but she was fine. When I got discharged my mother in law had her sitting in the dark during the day!!!
I was mad about that, I guess it didn't occur to me to tell someone to at least leave a light on for her since the window gave little light. Some people just don't get birds.
Thank you so much for your reply. I am beginning to feel a lot more relieved about leaving Kai for a night or two. I’d rather not but at least I am not totally upset anymore. I actually have a light that is on a timer next to Kai’s cage for the same reason. Around noon the sun moves to the back of the house and the dinning room doesn’t get as much light. I also have a red heat lamp above the right corner of his cage because the heat fluctuates between 69-70 and he is molting. Covering one side or corner of his cage sounds like a good idea. I use to do that with my canary when I had to be away for a few days during the cold weather. From spring through fall he always came with me. He was such a good traveler. I am hoping Kai will be also. Of course unlike Kai my canary did not require as much care or company. It was much easier leaving him for a day or two. My daughter is a natural animal lover. She has helped me raise wild injured and baby birds back to health and has been my right hand in raising orphaned new born kittens and finding them homes. I have no doubt that she will be concerned for Kai and see to his needs as much as she can. Kai has accepted her from the start so I know he will be happy to see her during her visits. Am hoping to leave on Friday morning instead of Thursday and will definitely be back on Saturday late morning or early afternoon. Your reply was much appreciated. Thank you.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:09 AM   #15
Bentley

Bentley is on a distinguished road

There would be good and bad about taking him to your daughters but There is good and bad for him staying home. I left my little guy at that age for 3 days and I opted to take him to my daughters. They did work during the day but he got a lot more attention at night when they got home compared to what he would have got had he stayed home. He got his bedtime routine which then was a pretty big deal he got a little cranky if he wasn't covered when he got tired. I'm sure he will do fine either way. It's good for them to adjust to us being gone.
Good luck it will all work out!!

Wendy & Bebo
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:58 PM   #16
thedavest

thedavest is on a distinguished road

If I were in your place, I would be comfortable leaving my bird in the situation you have described.

My only concern would be fresh water. This may be unique to my bird, but I have trouble keeping the water bowl clean. If your daughter has a way to deal with this or it is not an issue for Kai then it sounds good to me.

Safe travels
thedavest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:57 PM   #17
Miss Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpezzano View Post
If I were in your place, I would be comfortable leaving my bird in the situation you have described.

My only concern would be fresh water. This may be unique to my bird, but I have trouble keeping the water bowl clean. If your daughter has a way to deal with this or it is not an issue for Kai then it sounds good to me.

Safe travels
Kai’s water dish is free of his droppings but he will get some of his pellet crumbs in his water occasionally. I do watch his water dish and change it if I see any crumbs in it. Veggies, fruits, seeds, etc. I feed outside his cage so no concern there. My daughter will change Kai’s water and tend to his other needs when she comes to visit him. Since she works near me she may also drop in quickly on the way to or from work to check on him. Thank you for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:14 PM   #18
Miss Mary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
There would be good and bad about taking him to your daughters but There is good and bad for him staying home. I left my little guy at that age for 3 days and I opted to take him to my daughters. They did work during the day but he got a lot more attention at night when they got home compared to what he would have got had he stayed home. He got his bedtime routine which then was a pretty big deal he got a little cranky if he wasn't covered when he got tired. I'm sure he will do fine either way. It's good for them to adjust to us being gone.
Good luck it will all work out!!
Thank you for your reply. I’m pretty sure I am going to leave him at home. He is in the middle of his first molt and while he is handling it well I’m a little afraid of moving him to a new and cooler environment. My daughter’s home is much cooler then ours. They often have their windows opened about two inches or more. I think I’ll feel better knowing he is safe at home. Just hope he’s done molting by the time I have to go.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:29 PM   #19
Miss Mary

Thank you everyone!
I want to thank everyone who replied to my post. All of your input was very helpful. I actually decided to leave Kai at home and have my daughter Jen come by to care for him. We left on Thursday the 4th at 2:00 in the afternoon and arrived back home on Saturday at 2:00. My daughter Jen came by Thursday late afternoon and Friday morning and again late afternoon. She was planning on coming by again Saturday morning but since I knew we would be home by 2:00 I told her she didn’t have to. I am so pleased with the way Jen took care of Kai and when I got home was thrilled to see he was just as happy and contented as when I left. I am going to try to post three pictures of my daughter Jen enjoying Kai while I was away but not sure if I know how to. Hopefully they will post. Thank you all again
Old 04-12-2019, 09:34 PM   #20
Bryan

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Bryan will become famous soon enoughBryan will become famous soon enough

It looks like Kai and Jen got a long and had a good time together.

Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote