Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

So much for fake eggs

This thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 392 times.

Old 06-28-2020, 12:05 AM   #1
111karen111

Parrotlets Owned: 3
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

111karen111 is on a distinguished road

So much for fake eggs

So much for fake eggs.

Stormi immediately threw all 5 fake eggs out of her nest (onto the cage floor).

She then proceeded to lay 5 real eggs (over a 10 day period).

She wanted nothing to do with the fake eggs.

Well, it was worth a try.

See attached picture.

Don't know why it uploaded sideways.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200627_221749.jpg (92.4 KB, 23 views)
111karen111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2020, 07:22 AM   #2
lindav

Parrotlets Owned: 1

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

Smart hen, Stormi----she knows fake vs. the real thing.
I replaced eggs when I had a yellow canary. She sat and sat for 2 weeks. One morning she got off her "nest" and was very unhappy. That's when I had to take her back to the pet store. They acknowledged that they sold me a hen by mistake. I got a darling male.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:15 AM   #3
TheBeans

TheBeans has a spectacular aura aboutTheBeans has a spectacular aura about

I tried the fake eggs with Daisy and while she did accept them----occasionally----she continued to lay eggs and never did get tired of doing so. I took them out and then she stopped laying for one entire week and I thought this was at an end, but apparently not. She went back to laying eggs, although the frequency has dropped way back. I wish there was some kind of hormone-reducing medication I could give her in her water or food that would stop this entirely. The Pill for Birdies. I'd make a fortune!

Daisy's hatch-day: 12/10/2014
TheBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2020, 02:16 PM   #4
111karen111

Storm is an egg machine. She has laid eggs 10 times in 2 years. Usually 5 eggs but sometimes 6 or 7. One time she laid 13 eggs because she kept breaking them and laying more.

She jumps on and off them all day long so they never hatch even though I also have a male parrotlet that she does get along with. After she jumps on and off them for 21 days, I take them away from her.

She is not friendly with me at all and gives me terrible bites, but I am attached to her and won't give her up.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:31 PM   #5
JackieRTP

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111karen111 View Post
So much for fake eggs.

Stormi immediately threw all 5 fake eggs out of her nest (onto the cage floor).

She then proceeded to lay 5 real eggs (over a 10 day period).

She wanted nothing to do with the fake eggs.

Did you place the eggs before she had laid any? It is recommended to replace each egg after it is laid with a dummy egg.
JackieRTP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:32 PM   #6
JackieRTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeans View Post
I wish there was some kind of hormone-reducing medication I could give her in her water or food that would stop this entirely. The Pill for Birdies. I'd make a fortune!

There are hormone injections that can prevent a female from laying eggs. It does not work in every bird, but it does for many.
Old 06-28-2020, 05:41 PM   #7
111karen111

I waited until Stormi laid her first egg and I took it away and replaced it with all 5 fake eggs at once. This is what the instructions said to do from DummyEggs.com. Stormi was having nothing to do with the fake eggs. It took her less than a minute to fling all of them out of her nest. And boy was she mad.

They also said it might take a week for her to stop laying eggs. Well, it has been over 10 days and she is still laying eggs. I hope she doesn't lay another one tomorrow. Oh well, I tried.

I hear that the hormone shots are expensive aND sometimes don't work. Plus, both bird vets in my area are out on sick leave at the moment.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:01 PM   #8
birdeet

Parrotlets Owned: 5
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

birdeet is on a distinguished road

Good to know about the fake eggs. I have my first female parrotlet after owning males for 20+ years. She is sweet and my yellow male is taken with her. Looks like I will need to deal with the eggs next year. Might try to have a clutch hatch. I have an awesome bird store/farm nearby. They promise to help me and buy the babies. I don't know... the egg binding stories keep me concerned.
birdeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:09 PM   #9
Anya

Anya will become famous soon enoughAnya will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdeet View Post
Good to know about the fake eggs. I have my first female parrotlet after owning males for 20+ years. She is sweet and my yellow male is taken with her. Looks like I will need to deal with the eggs next year. Might try to have a clutch hatch. I have an awesome bird store/farm nearby. They promise to help me and buy the babies. I don't know... the egg binding stories keep me concerned.

How old is your female? If she is under a year old, she needs to be in a separate cage - she is too young to breed. Even if she is over a year old, keep her separated from the male until you are sure that you want to breed them.

You have good reason to be concerned about egg binding. Breeding can lead to several possible serious health issues which could be fatal. You need to have knowledge, time and money to breed birds. You really need to know what you are getting into before you decide.
Anya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:28 PM   #10
JackieRTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdeet View Post

Anya is 100% correct on what she stated. Besides ensuring that your pair are both old enough to breed, you need to be sure that they are both genetically compatible. It is not as easy as just slapping any 2 birds together, or they could potentially produce babies that are genetically weak and prone to congenital defects. It is recommended to do extensive research before allowing your birds to breed.

There are MANY ways to reduce hormones and not have your birds lay eggs. Anya and I will be providing 2 posts on this shortly. You have a good reason to be concerned about egg binding and other potential complications due to egg production. In addition, there is the potential for babies to be attacked by the parents or die.