Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Parrot Bite Force??

4K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  PeggyK 
#1 ·
When I first got my parrotlet, Kiwi... she bit me bloody for the first couple of months. Kiwi hasn't bitten me for almost a year, now. Sometimes, she "nips" a little... but only when she comes out of the cage for the first time, after sitting on eggies for a month. And, some of that is just Kiwi learning how to use her beak on me (as a finger, or hand-hold) after being out of practice.
Mango, my green cheek conure, has never even TRIED to bite me, or nip. I'm not so stupid as to think that day won't ever come... right? I mean... at some point... Mango will bite me???
I've tried to look up conure bite force, so that I can be prepared. I was not prepared for what Kiwi's bite would be like... I was quite surprised to draw back my blood-dripping fingers. lol. I can't find any useful information on conure bite-force. It's all... "it depends how mad they are, how old they are, blah, blah..." and I'm sure all of that is true... it depends. I was just looking for an average. And... maybe he will never bite me at all... I mean.. Kiwi stopped. She was half wild when I got her, so biting was going to be assumed. Mango was hand fed... so, maybe he never will... I just wanted to be prepared for what that would feel like.

#2 ·
Mango is young and when he goes through his puberty, he may bite from time to time. It is possible that he might not bite, but if he was mad enough and bit you, I am sure you will know it!
I looked up your question and it said, " Sun Conures bite very little and when they do, it is not a hard bite at all" .

David:cool:

#7 ·
Oh my that's cuteness overload
I think conures can bite pretty hard but honestly so can parrotlet, I think you can expect about the same. Mango might not bite you hard though, who knows. I think parrotlet are notoriously nasty during puberty.

#6 ·
I use a form of gentle beak with Pip but I just say "be nice" to him. I can see a change in him when I use it now for sure. He never bites hard anyway just nips but when he gets in his moods he will open and close his beak kind of and when I say "be nice" he will slow down and you can see him kind of thinking about the situation. He did not start out like that but I am seeing the results now for sure.

When it does work and he stops his aggression I always will say "good boy" to him but only after he has been calm for a few seconds and I can see that he has calmed down. I don't give him food rewards or anything just a simple verbal praise.

#8 ·
If I had to take a bite from one of ours, I'd pick the conure over the parrotlet. She's more like her bark is worse than her bite. Usually, it's kind of like a snapping dog, she doesn't make contact but is telling you to back off.

I have missed her cues and she has gotten me but it hurts less than the parrotlet. It's crazy because with their beak they could do real damage....but mine doesn't.

Thankfully, Kingston doesn't bite often. Our first parrotlet would out of the blue (it seemed). Kingston is usually being protective/posessive when he bites. Unless he's going after my bare toes. :rolleyes: But those aren't hard bites.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.