Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

Parrotlet Passing

Keira's Death

This thread has 43 replies and has been viewed 1323 times.

Old 05-30-2020, 03:20 PM   #21
BentleysMom

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

BentleysMom is on a distinguished road

So sorry for your loss. I lost my Bentley a little over a year ago. I miss him everyday! But, I am getting a new baby parrotlet soon! I'm very excited to find out what kind of personality he will have!
BentleysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2020, 07:17 PM   #22
jkwalsh

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

jkwalsh is on a distinguished road

Dave,
I agree that parrotlets are indeed powerful. Are you planning on getting another one?

BentleysMom
Thanks for the kind words. I feel your pain. I am glad to hear that you are getting a new parrotlet. I give you credit for waiting awhile. We caved today and put a deposit down after less than a week of Keira's passing. I am also excited to see what personality the new parrotlet will have. However, I do need to keep from comparing the new parrotlet with Keira. That may be tough for a while.
jkwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 11:20 PM   #23
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwalsh View Post
Dave,
I agree that parrotlets are indeed powerful. Are you planning on getting another one?

BentleysMom
Thanks for the kind words. I feel your pain. I am glad to hear that you are getting a new parrotlet. I give you credit for waiting awhile. We caved today and put a deposit down after less than a week of Keira's passing. I am also excited to see what personality the new parrotlet will have. However, I do need to keep from comparing the new parrotlet with Keira. That may be tough for a while.

We want one.....I have to look at my situation...health, age, etc....I just went through some health tests and the results were not good...not good at all. In fact, it made me realize just how much little time I have left. I am allergic to insulin, yet I have to take it. The insulin has put on 93 pounds on my body and I eat less than 1,000 calories a day. I eat 2 eggs or one bowl of oatmeal in the AM. 4-6 ounces of chicken-beef-fish and a small salad at lunch, and a larger bowl of salad with a meat for dinner at 4 pm. That's it! Sometimes, for a snack, I eat some natural applesauce or a few whole grain crackers.

I am extremely anemic and if I get the C-19 virus, I'm a gonner!
I try to exercise as much as I can.

I've been to experts and I am not going to look anymore! I have accepted my fate.

I try to convince myself that getting a p'lett will help me live longer and cope better with life. Getting one will help me, no doubt. But I will not be able to give that little guy the same amount of attention as my previous 60 plus( or more) birds and other pets that I have managed. I just can't do it. Here lies the problem!

God, I want one so badly that my heart jumps thinking about it! But, I have to be realistic. So, I leave it up to my wife, family and friends to make the decision for me. My wife is the same age as me and she wants to work as long as she can. She loves working. It has nothing to do with money. I will honor her decision.

Dave

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2020, 07:04 PM   #24
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really niceMrs.JP3 is just really nice

I'm so sorry for your loss. We lost one of ours a few months ago, I still miss him everyday.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 11:30 PM   #25
jkwalsh

Dave,
I had no idea that you had major health issues. My wife and I have been pretty lucky. She currently has a broken ankle and went through breast cancer 9 years ago but it hasn't returned. I have only some minor quality of life issues. I am 64 and my wife is 63. So I don't know all that you and your family are going through.

Through my limited communication with you, I can tell that you are a loving and caring person. Until our last breath, we have something to offer to someone or something. I don't think that you have to devote your entire life to taking care of a parrotlet. On average, I got Keira out of her cage for about an hour per day. I always spoke to her when I walked past and made sure that she had food, water, toys, etc. Keira's cage was in the kitchen/family room so that she was in the middle of our family's activity. However, I think she had a good life because she could feel how much I loved her, and I could feel her love in return. I believe that as long as the parrotlet feels safe and loved they will adapt to their physical routine.
I hope that whatever you decide that it works out for you.

Mrs.JP3
Thanks for your kind words. I don't know if I will ever stop missing Keira. I hope not.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:07 PM   #26
David Miller

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Hi~~~

I hope you and your wife are doing well! My wife, too, is a breast cancer survivor. It has been 21 years that she has been cancer free. She has been most remarkable about the whole experience.

If you click on my avatar, you can go way back and see my threads and posts. This tells people just about everything about me. Just about...!
My p'letts are free birds. I have an open cage all day long, once we get bonded. Bogie and Ricochet both had the freedom to come and go in or out of their cage. At night or if we were going to be away for a few hours was the only time they were caged. It was amazing that both p'letts developed almost the same habits, like, where to take a nap or what area to play in, etc.

If I changed clothes to go shopping, Bogie would automatically go to his cage so I could close it. Ricochet was young and hadn't learned my habits when he passed. I did something different in this forum...I opened up about my life and forum members opened up about theirs! Bogie's life was intertwined with mine and he helped me live! He was very different from Ricochet. Keira was an individual and the next one you get will be different, for sure.

My suggestion to you is just be yourself and your bird will bond with you in a manner that you both will be happy. Don't compare your new bird with Keira in expectation that they will be alike. You will see similarities, but you will see many differences. I had to learn this after Bogie died and Ricochet came along. This forum made sure they reminded me of this when I kept saying things like, " Why doesn't Ricochet do this or that like Bogie? " Those two were individuals. I had dozens of budgies and they were mostly all alike in behavior, but not the parrotlet! Big difference!

Dave

Old 06-01-2020, 10:08 PM   #27
jkwalsh

Dave,

My wife wasn't a big animal lover when we got the amazon. She never wanted any animal in the house but agreed to a parrot since you can control where it goes and when. There was also the deal with pooping on furniture. Keko wouldn't have been a problem because he doesn't know that he can fly and he is potty trained.

For the first couple of years, when I got Keira out of her cage I would go into a spare bedroom with almost no furniture. I stayed with her and played with her when she was in that room. Even then she would suddenly take off and I would have to rescue her from behind something. Keira quit doing that when the vet accidentally trimmed her wings too much and she couldn't fly for a couple of months. After that, she became like Keko and only flew when spooked or if she got too close to the edge of something and fell off. Then I could go anywhere with her and she often traveled on my shoulder.

We have put a deposit on a new female parrotlet, (see attachment), and should get her in a couple of weeks. I am going to have to keep telling myself that she isn't Keira and that it's okay that she isn't Keira.

The vet called today and told me the result of the post-mortem exam that he did on Keira's body. She had developed a tumor on her kidney and it ruptured. The fluid even migrated into her lungs and caused some pulmonary distress. It was difficult to listen to but now I know.

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4895.jpg (84.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-01-2020, 10:39 PM   #28
David Miller

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwalsh View Post
Dave,

My wife wasn't a big animal lover when we got the amazon. She never wanted any animal in the house but agreed to a parrot since you can control where it goes and when. There was also the deal with pooping on furniture. Keko wouldn't have been a problem because he doesn't know that he can fly and he is potty trained.

For the first couple of years, when I got Keira out of her cage I would go into a spare bedroom with almost no furniture. I stayed with her and played with her when she was in that room. Even then she would suddenly take off and I would have to rescue her from behind something. Keira quit doing that when the vet accidentally trimmed her wings too much and she couldn't fly for a couple of months. After that, she became like Keko and only flew when spooked or if she got too close to the edge of something and fell off. Then I could go anywhere with her and she often traveled on my shoulder.

We have put a deposit on a new female parrotlet, (see attachment), and should get her in a couple of weeks. I am going to have to keep telling myself that she isn't Keira and that it's okay that she isn't Keira.

The vet called today and told me the result of the post-mortem exam that he did on Keira's body. She had developed a tumor on her kidney and it ruptured. The fluid even migrated into her lungs and caused some pulmonary distress. It was difficult to listen to but now I know.

Jim
She sure is a beauty! Definitely a female and is hand friendly, at least the photo shows her on someone's hand. She has almost the same coloring as Bogie did. Look at that beak! A pure parrot attention get'ter! She will use it, for sure.

If you can, get a pound or so of the food mix that she is accustomed to. Super clean Keira's cage. I can feel the excitement building and it is not even my bird!

Dave
Old 06-02-2020, 01:36 PM   #29
Kathy S.

Kathy S. is on a distinguished road

I am so very sorry for your loss.
Kathy S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:32 PM   #30
JackieRTP

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

Jim - Your new baby is cute! I am glad that you had a necropsy done as it is helpful to understand the reasons why she died.
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote