Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

Parrotlet Passing

Keira's Death

This thread has 43 replies and has been viewed 1323 times.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:17 PM   #11
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

It was great to read about Keira and her antics! I thought I would never get over Bogie's death because of the pain, but the pain reduces itself the more I talked and thought about him.

Keira was a good observer. She watched you and remembered your routines. This is one of the things I love about them! Of the dozens of budgies I had over 4 decades, I had only 2 or 3 that paid attention to my routines. This shows me that the p'lett has unique observation powers.

If I had Bogie on my finger and I smiled real big, he always lowered his head and leaned forward like he was going to take off and fly. It was funny! This is what I love about the p'lett.

You just showed me and the forum just how much in tune Keira was with you and her surroundings. It is obvious that she loved you very much! I hope you read the book I am putting together about Bogie's life and loves. I kept a very detailed life journal about everything he experienced. If you read it, you will identify many, many things in the book that will relate to Keira's behavior. You will say, " Yeah! Keira did this or that! " or " I remember her looking at me in the way Bogie looked at David! "

You will feel better as you go along. The hurt will never go away, but you will realize, like I have, that our parrotlets loved us deeply, just as one human loves another. They appreciated their time with us as we did with them. They were family and God told us that we will see our families again one day. I can't wait.

Keep posting. I love reading about Keira! I feel like I am getting to know her already!

David and Vicki
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2020, 12:06 AM   #12
jkwalsh

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

jkwalsh is on a distinguished road

You and everyone else here have really helped me get through this terrible time. I will definitely read your journal on Bogie's life. I look forward to learning more about him.

I got a late start with Keira. For the first 18 months, she was our son's and her cage was in his room. When he got too busy with college, I took over her care and her cage was moved to the kitchen/family room area. She was pretty aggressive for a while and her little beak could puncture my finger like a hypodermic needle.

We finally learned to trust each other. I figured out what she didn't like and she no longer felt the need to attack. When I put my hand in her cage she would just ignore me. She didn't bite me once in the past 3+ years. What I really want is to develop that kind of relationship with a new parrotlet. I want that bond where we both completely trust each other. As long as we develop that, I don't care about doing tricks or talking. Keira could say a lot with just chirping. Her only trick wasn't really a trick. When she was sitting on my lap I would say "Keira Kiss Kiss" and she would run up my chest and peck me on the lips.

I really miss her.

Thanks for listening.
jkwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 12:12 PM   #13
David Miller

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

That is a great story about Keira. The kissing is wonderful! It is evident she bonded with you. This is why, when you get another p'lett, that you must be choosy! You can find a breeder who hand tames the bird ( there's a nice breeder in Florida who trains the bird before you get it). They guarantee it. Since your Amazon has a 200 word vocabulary, if you get a male p'lett, I will bet you that your p'lett will start saying some of the Amazon's words.

I had several budgies and a mynah bird. One male budgie started imitating the mynah bird! It was so funny!

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2020, 06:36 PM   #14
jkwalsh

Seeing a budgie imitate a mynah would be hilarious.

The place where we got Keira won't have any parrotlets for a month or two.
Still trying to decide between male and female. Definite pluses and minuses to each. Found a couple of females a couple of hours drive away.

We took Keira's body to the vet today. He is going to do an autopsy to see if he can identify what killed her. They are also going to cremate her and return her ashes to us. We took one last look at her when we got to the vet's office. I lost it at that point.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:39 PM   #15
David Miller

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwalsh View Post
Seeing a budgie imitate a mynah would be hilarious.

The place where we got Keira won't have any parrotlets for a month or two.
Still trying to decide between male and female. Definite pluses and minuses to each. Found a couple of females a couple of hours drive away.

We took Keira's body to the vet today. He is going to do an autopsy to see if he can identify what killed her. They are also going to cremate her and return her ashes to us. We took one last look at her when we got to the vet's office. I lost it at that point.
I don't know how you got through it! We had to put Bogie down and it just about killed me! The vets office lit a candle in the waiting room and everyone was whispering when Bogie passed. The vet made a plaster cast imprint of Bogie's feet with Bogie's name above the feet along with his hatch day and RIP day. The casting was in the shape of a heart....I lost it big time! So did my wife. I can't see the keyboard right now.....memories!

Dave

Old 05-28-2020, 10:29 PM   #16
jkwalsh

I never want to go through that again. My wife never had a pet until we got Keko and Keira. I haven't had one since I was about 13. That's over 50 years ago. So we were caught by surprise by how intense our grief is.

I knew that I loved Keira but I didn't realize that over the years she had become a bigger and more important part of my life. My life changed as our son moved out and I stopped playing certain sports or participating in some hobbies. Apparently, these changes left holes in my life that Keira filled perfectly. She had become an important part of my life without me noticing.
Old 05-28-2020, 10:38 PM   #17
lindav

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

It's the saddest thing to have a very beloved pet pass. Very sorry you have such a loss.
Over the 7 years I have had Oliver, we have gained a lot of trust with each other. First thing in the mornings he wants to chomp down on my finger----telling him "gentle beak" ---most of the time he doesn't hurt me. He is annoying with constant chirping in the daytime---trying to figure out what will satisfy him without him being on my shoulder constantly. Feeding him from my shoulder has become a bad habit ----he was very hungry tonight. He gets very sweet and cuddly at night----best part of my day.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:53 AM   #18
kpenguins48

kpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of light

Send a message via Yahoo to kpenguins48
I am so sorry for your loss. It's never easy.

The Little Prince
kpenguins48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:37 PM   #19
jkwalsh

kpenguins48
Thanks for the kind words. Your "Little Prince" is beautiful.

lindav
Also, thanks for the kind words. It does hurt a lot. It's been about 50 years since I had a pet die. I didn't realize how strong an emotional attachment you can develop.
Keira was aggressive in the first few years and gave me some painful bites. However, I hadn't been bitten for the past 3+ years. If it was our playtime, I would reach into her cage to get her to step onto my finger. If she wouldn't I would just scoop her up in my hand. Keira would yell for a few seconds but not try to bite me. I greatly hope to be able to eventually develop that kind of trust with a new parrotlet.
Oliver is beautiful and looks like he could be quite mischievous.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:47 PM   #20
David Miller

Thumbs up

Hi~~~~

When I got my first p'lett, Bogie, it was at a time in my life that I was really down. I had to retire 10 years earlier than I wanted due to my health. I worked a career and volunteered to help charities, along with my wife and we raised our only child. This meant I was a Scout Master and Little League coach for 10 years, ran a side business and taught music in a church! And had plenty of pets.

When I had to give all this up, it almost killed me! I became depressed ...the worst depression a man could have....I faced the barrel of a gun and contemplated suicide. Then my wife said..." I know a secret! You need to decide what kind of pet to love and cherish instead of sitting at home alone all day long!"

Then, along came a parrotlet named Bogie......!!!!~~~~~~!!!! The rest is history! I kept a daily life journal on that little guy. Now, at age 66, here comes a book!

P'letts are Powerful!

Dave