Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health

Your Parrotlet's Health You may ask any questions about your parrotlet's health in this forum.

Notices

Aging p'let sleeping a lot

This thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 798 times.

Old 08-06-2020, 03:18 PM   #11
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/what-i...+6+August+2020
Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge - Bo
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2020, 07:36 PM   #12
SpicyUterus

SpicyUterus is on a distinguished road

Hi again everyone, thank you for all the well wishes!

Indy went to the vet today. She ran bloodwork and did a full exam and he is completely healthy. We've been having a heatwave and he just finished a molt, so we're both in agreement that is probably what was keeping him so sleepy. He has been acting right as rain this week and I'm very proud that he aced his vet trip.

I also have some new additions! A friend had two 5 month old plets left from a clutch he was struggling to home out to responsible folks. There aren't many knowledgeable bird people in my area, mostly people looking to impulse buy. Anyway, I wasn't planning on adding more birds so soon after the recent loss of my senior budgie to a congenital issue, but there's now a male and a female in my quarantine room lol, I have the time and space for them, and an extra cage for when the female grows up and turns into a territorial nightmare. Indy is very excited and calling to them from the room the aviary's in. This week definitely did not go as planned haha, I'll do an actual introduction for them in their own thread once I know what I'm doing with my life.
SpicyUterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:38 PM   #13
SpicyUterus

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
Good luck at the vets! Thanks for letting us know what is happening. Stay safe during all that traveling you have been doing! It is very dangerous out there with that nasty virus all around us.

David and Vicki
Thank you for the good thoughts! I am incredibly fortunate that there are currently no cases in my area and our border is closed. We are able to travel within our area, as long as we wear masks indoors and follow the rules, etc. I took our camper out for a few nights with some family and my lovebird (he LOVES to travel) and it was a much needed break indeed from all the chaos of this year. Hope you're doing okay in Orlando, scary times we're in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2020, 08:10 PM   #14
SpicyUterus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie3860 View Post
I would love to see a picture of your indoor aviary. We are discussing doing something like that at our place as MBS takes hold.
I actually have a YouTube channel that features my aviary a fair bit! I haven't been active lately, just because I decided to take on a master's degree while looking after the flock, my other animals, and working full time haha.

This is a link to an aviary tour I did in the winter. It's not current and a lot has changed since then, primarily that the roof is now cage bars so I can hang stuff and the fids get better light, I added more full spectrum fixtures, more foraging toys, and a bigger outdoor space with better perches and enrichment for my senior budgie, Chip, who has since crossed the bridge <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPKtzLAT_Iw&t=236s
Old 08-07-2020, 08:15 PM   #15
SpicyUterus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anya View Post
Increased sleeping is an indication that a bird could be ill, but itís possible that Indy is just getting older and needs more sleep. That is not uncommon behavior for older birds, but Iím glad he is going to be seen by another vet just to make sure he is all right. Better safe than sorry.

Birds are really good hiding illnesses. There are two good ways to help determine if a bird is sick. The first is checking their droppings for any changes. Have you noticed any changes in their shape, color and consistency? Since you have your bird in an aviary with other birds, you may want to separate Indy at this time, so you can monitor his droppings. There is a sticky on this which may help you identify what to look for.

https://www.talkparrotlets.com/showthread.php?t=82666

Also, do you know how much your bird weighs? If you have a gram scale, you can weigh your bird to see if there are any noticeable fluctuations in his weight. A good time to weigh your bird is first thing in the morning, after his first droppings, and before the first feed. If he is losing or gaining any weight, that could be an indication of illness.

Indy is beautiful. Itís sad to think he suffered like that. Itís a heartbreaking story, but thank goodness Indy was lucky enough that you found him. He has a good life with you after years of loneliness. You really need to be commended for that.
This is so kind <3

Indy was weighed at the vet's today and he is 25 grams, which has been his baseline since I got him 2 years ago.