Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

Territorial parrotlet

This thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 153 times.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:44 AM   #1
Uneasesquid9

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Uneasesquid9 is on a distinguished road

Territorial parrotlet

Hey again! Chocobo has been a really good bird recently, she's really got the hang of stepping up, and has even stopped biting at my skin when she's on my hands (mostly) after I tell her not to. However, I do all of her training outside the cage, and mostly when she comes to me. If I'm about, the cage is always open really, so she can choose to come to me. But I've noticed that if I attempt to get her to step up from her cage, she will ignore the command, and attack my hand instead. She is normally OK stepping on to a hand held perch though (it's what I used before when she hated hands). And if I need to put her back, she will happily step off my hand onto the cage. Is this her being overly territorial over what she sees as her space? What can I do about it?

Pictures of chocobo enjoying a good old scritch included, because everyone likes pictures 🙂
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200614_220856_1592408523961.jpg (83.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200614_220611_1592408628681.jpg (82.5 KB, 7 views)
Uneasesquid9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2020, 12:18 PM   #2
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Hello! Top of the morning to you!

Your sweetie is being protective when your hands approach the cage door. I have read countless times in this forum where members wonder why their p'lett does not like human hands being put into the cage, especially for step up time.
When I had Bogie, he stepped up anytime, anywhere and any place. But Ricochet did not like to step up on my hand/fingers when I entered his cage. He did not bite me, he just stared at me and didn't want to move.

Then, instead of just offering my hand/fingers into the cage, I added a command at the same time. I said, " Ricochet, step up! " in a delightful tone. His name and a command... this started working. After quite a few times, he started to step up from inside his cage. I found out that both my p'letts loved for me to use their name at the beginning of all commands. With the many budgies I had, it didn't matter. They were more of a sight animal. The obeyed gestures better than voice commands.
Stay safe!

David
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 04:50 PM   #3
JackieRTP

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

Many parrotlets are territorial regarding their cages. When hands are placed inside the cage, some birds see that as an intrusion into their space. Some birds can be trained out of this with time while other people may find that using a stick or perch may be needed (as you mentioned) to take them out of the cage. She appears to be loving a head scratch in one of the photos that you shared.
JackieRTP is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2020, 01:19 AM   #4
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Jules is very protective about her cage. Especially in the morning when she is in it. I have to open the door and let her come out on her own. Once out she will happily hop / fly to me. But I can’t pick her up off her cage. It is hers and she will defend it.
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:05 AM   #5
Uneasesquid9

Good to know that it's a common trait and not something I'm doing wrong! You should see her in the mornings when I replace the food and water, she goes full dinosaur mode!

Interesting what you say about using names - I don't tend to use Chocobo's name when I'm giving instructions, just when I'm chatting to her. I might try and incorporate that!
Old 06-18-2020, 06:06 AM   #6
Uneasesquid9

She does love a head scratch - every night without fail she will come to me about an hour before bed for some pre-sleep scratching time 🙂
Old 06-18-2020, 10:16 PM   #7
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uneasesquid9 View Post
She does love a head scratch - every night without fail she will come to me about an hour before bed for some pre-sleep scratching time 🙂
Scratch away! ( we call it ' scritch' which means scratch an itch). I always say the name of my bird when I ask/tell them to do something, unless I am warning them about something. If I have a hot bowl of soup and a bird wanted to get some, I would just say, " No No! Hot! Hot! " in a stern voice. After the warning, I would add, " Ouchy Ouchy ! " You would be surprised how they will pick up on this! All I had to say to Bogie was, " No no! "--he got the message.

David and Vicki
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:33 PM   #8
Anya

Anya is on a distinguished road

Chocobo is such a cutie! Love the pictures.

Yeah, they tend to act like little kings and queens of their castles! Though, since I got mine a big playstation and filled it with toys, ladders and everything else, she's not as territorial of her cage as much. But, if I touch one of her favorite toys, that is a different matter. Her inner demon comes out.
Anya is offline   Reply With Quote