Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

~~~~Help Me Determine A Name ! ~~~~

~~Male Name Suggestions For Three Themes!~~

This thread has 34 replies and has been viewed 1092 times.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:13 PM   #11
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
How about Brando. A strong male actor.
Hey, I like that! Marlon...Brando....Hmmmm. I had a Humphrey Bogart which became Bogie. Parrotlets are their own " Brand ".....So, I think Brando has a shot. It's better than Godfather. Hey! Corleone! ( Cory). Godfather's last name was Corleone. So, how about Cory?

I am just playing around, but names are important to me.

Thanks!
David and VIcki
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2020, 09:01 PM   #12
Bigboy

Bigboy is on a distinguished road

But, David, you know no matter how much thinking and planning you do, that bird will basically name himself. His personality will do it for you. Just as Riccochet named himself by his antics. Even if you had a name in mind, he was Ricochet. So, just do not get too set in your mind about any of these great ideas. However this is a wonderful exercise you have put us all through during this time when we all need a nice diversion. So, thank you very much for the fun brain activity.
Bigboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:40 PM   #13
David Miller

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboy View Post
But, David, you know no matter how much thinking and planning you do, that bird will basically name himself. His personality will do it for you. Just as Riccochet named himself by his antics. Even if you had a name in mind, he was Ricochet. So, just do not get too set in your mind about any of these great ideas. However this is a wonderful exercise you have put us all through during this time when we all need a nice diversion. So, thank you very much for the fun brain activity.
Most of my threads are put in this forum to get new ideas. You are right in saying that the p'lett will name him/herself. But names come from somewhere! I am interested in new names that might be around.
Some dog owners name their pets, King, Champ, Rover, Spot, etc.. This is too common.

Vicki and I looked up lists that had thousands of bird names and none fit Ricochet...until we saw him bounce around in his cage.

" Pus Ke Ta Potchee Lah nee fuswa " is a name I ran across. Weird, isn't it? I have dabbled in the Seminole Indian native language here in Florida. I read about how the Seminole tribe looked at birds of beauty. " Pus Ke Ta ( Fast) Potchee Lah nee ( Parakeet) fuswa ( Bird) is any bird of beauty that flies quickly, in the Seminole language. I was looking at names of birds and decided after seeing these words that I would not pursue a non-English name for a bird. Whew!

I love all kinds of languages ( this is why I chose to teach the international students in college). I learned a lot about their languages. I have a knack for words.

I love hearing from forum members and love to read all their suggestions about things.

I hope my next p'lett is active. If he just sits there, I do not know what I will do! Call him " Rock "? Guru? We'll see!

Thanks!
Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2020, 09:04 AM   #14
Bigboy

Bigboy is on a distinguished road

I wish you luck finding a Parrotlet that "just sits there". That's why you never see or hear of any Parrotlet with a sedentary name. LOL
Bigboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:49 PM   #15
GhostGirl

GhostGirl is on a distinguished road

My own little dude is called Boo. My daughter loves Norse mythology and she suggested the names of 2 gods: Baldr and Tyr. There is also Sigurd who slayed a dragon, drank its blood, and could then understand and speak bird language. I know that sounds gruesome, but it’s a strong smile name 😆. Good luck finding your new buddy!
GhostGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:31 PM   #16
David Miller

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostGirl View Post
My own little dude is called Boo. My daughter loves Norse mythology and she suggested the names of 2 gods: Baldr and Tyr. There is also Sigurd who slayed a dragon, drank its blood, and could then understand and speak bird language. I know that sounds gruesome, but itís a strong smile name 😆. Good luck finding your new buddy!
Thank you very much! I have heard of TYR. Sigurd the Slayer is interesting! You mentioned, "Bird Language " . Wouldn't it be interesting if we could come up with a bird language dictionary? Of course, " Tweet " could mean many things. It depends on how and when the bird says it. " Tweet ! " or " Tweet? " or " TWEET !! " Different inflections means different meanings.

Thanks for posting, GhostGirl !

David and Vicki
Old 05-20-2020, 11:45 PM   #17
Bert

Parrotlets Owned: 1

Bert is on a distinguished road

Elvis! Because that body is so entertaining
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:00 AM   #18
David Miller

Thumbs up

Thanks, Bert! My wife likes Elvis. That is a good idea!

David and Vicki
Old 05-21-2020, 12:44 AM   #19
littlehuck

Parrotlets Owned: 3

littlehuck will become famous soon enough

Ok so I have a few names based on good experiences. btw, please don't name him Cujo...I was told that an animal can have bad habits based on his name so we don't want you to get chewed up!

#1 Dillon: One of my favorite TV westerns is gunsmoke and I love Marshal Dillon. Dillon knows when to make the moves and when to hold back and he always says and does the right thing and never gets tired of doing a great job and being a loyal friend. So my #1 is Dillon.

#2 I also like Jonah. He is a bit stubborn but Loved the Lord and eventually he did what the Lord wanted him to do and go preach to Nineveh (after he went through a raging storm; got swallowed by a whale after he got thrown off the ship and he was still griping to God after the Ninevites got saved because he still did not like them) Jonah reminded me of a little like Oscar the grouch but with a nice name and a bit more adventurous with deeper spiritual convictions.

#3 Duke: It invokes strength and masculine royalty; a great Patriotic American Actor with rugged individualism and a someone who is straight forward, honorable and keeps their promises. I like Duke a lot for a parrotlet because it is a BIG name. Sometimes people name their parrotlets sweet and soft names because they are so tiny and cute but they think that they are big birds and Duke would be a good name for a little parrotlet who thinks he is really a very big boy!

I vote for a Pacific because Green Rumps have so many genetic issues (my experience with my Cowboy and other parrotlet owner' Green Rumps)

Last edited by littlehuck; 05-21-2020 at 12:57 AM..
littlehuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:45 AM   #20
jeannepp
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

jeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to all

Napolean short on stature but Big Tyrannical personality. Hyde or Jekyll come to mind.

Oliver May 11, 2013
Charlie August 18, 2013
Chloe June 21, 2014

Baby aka Napoleon 2011 - 2013
jeannepp is offline   Reply With Quote