Parrotlet Vet Listing

Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health > Parrotlet Diet

Parrotlet Diet Discuss the diets of parrotlets here. Recipes can go here too.

Notices

Filtered or bottled water

This thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 145 times.

Old 01-21-2020, 10:11 AM   #1
GrandmaLil

Parrotlets Owned: One
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

GrandmaLil is on a distinguished road

Filtered or bottled water

I have a question. I bought the zero water filtering system that I use for Pip. I have a Brita also that I use for me when I travel in the RV. I also have used bottled water for Pip.

Is the bottled water better because it does have some minerals, is the Brita better because it doesn’t filter out all the minerals or is the Zero Water better because it gets rid of all minerals?

Pip is on a vitamin powder which I sprinkle on his water. He is also on Harrison’s pellets along with a pellet/seed/nut/fruit/veggie mix that he was weaned on. I mix them so the Harrison’s is 2/3. He also gets fresh fruit and veggies and some seeds everyday. He also has a cuttle bone.

My concern is perhaps the water that is too pure might be robbing him of some valuable minerals.
GrandmaLil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2020, 11:08 AM   #2
Bryan

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Bryan will become famous soon enough

Why the added vitamins in the water? I think too many vitamins is just as bad as not enough and the Harrison's should have all he needs.

As for water I just use my well water with my Pip. I don't think it matters all that much wild birds drink out of mud puddles after all.. idk

Edit: I did find a pretty good write up on water over on Chewy.com it does say that well water might not be the best. I know my two dogs drank it for 17 years before they passed and their breed has 12 years listed as an average lifespan so I think we are okay

I do have an RO/DI for the saltwater fish so might start using that for Pip... idk

Chewy post..
https://petcentral.chewy.com/water-and-your-pet-bird/

Last edited by Bryan; 01-21-2020 at 12:03 PM..
Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 03:22 PM   #3
GrandmaLil

Parrotlets Owned: One
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

GrandmaLil is on a distinguished road

Interesting about adding vitamins to the water. This was strongly recommended to me by the bird store lady. I wonder if I should put on some food instead.
GrandmaLil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2020, 03:50 PM   #4
Bryan

Bryan will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't think it would matter as much if you change the water everyday but I have read that on another article too since the one linked. All this stuff you just have to kind of read what you can, ask your vet and see what everyone else is doing then go with what you think is best.

Bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:08 PM   #5
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

I believe in multiple water sources provided they are safe. Filtered tap, distilled, bottled. In the wild our little ones get their water multiple sources and thus get many nutrients from many places. One issue about single sourcing especially from ground water. Most water used in tap comes from ground aqueducts and wells and is hard. Birds mainly evolved to drink software water from rain and dew. I believe that single sourcing water from hard water may cause organ issues.
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:37 PM   #6
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Keep using the vitamin powder. It is an advantage for the bird. It will balance out any imbalance in the food. It absolutely will not hurt.
I use a liquid vitamin in Ricochet's water everyday. Ecotrition Vita Sol is about the best you can get. One drop per one ounce of water. Of course, this info is only my opinion.

Bogie used to get colds during the first year and a half I had him. He always had health problems until I took him off 100% pellets and reduced the pellet percentage and added natural seeds and fresh veggies, etc. He still got colds. Then I put him on Ecotrition Vita Sol and he didn't have any more colds AND, his feathers came in much brighter and colorful after 6 months of the diet change with the added Vitamins.

Bogie and Ricochet were/are on Brita filtered water from a pitcher. There is a new filter that Brita has now that lasts 6 months.

I suggest that you get the purist water you can. Fortified bottled water with minerals scares me. The minerals are designed for human consumption.
Plain tap water is way too dirty.

David and Ricochet

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:35 PM   #7
JackieRTP

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

I use tap water and always have in the past for my birds. The tap water where I live is high quality.

If you feed a well balanced diet or one with primarily pellets (which have vitamins and minerals added), by adding additional vitamins you do run the risk of overdosing. If vitamin A is over-supplemented, it can cause liver and bone disease. Most people are concerned with vitamin deficiencies and assume that adding vitamins is helpful, but this is not always true.
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote