Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Notices

Obsessed with hair

Habit

This thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 131 times.

Old 01-16-2020, 06:30 PM   #1
Cat17

Cat17 is on a distinguished road

Obsessed with hair

So, not sure if anyone else on here has the same "problem" but our Pixie is obsessed with hair, she sits either on my shoulder and breaks my hair (I have long hair which now has a really short bit at the back) or she nibbles our son's stubble on his chin. We are worried that she is actually eating it and not sure what the best thing is to do to stop her, it's a terrible habit that she has got in to and she gets really angry when we try to stop her. Tonight, I put on a "snood" to cover my hair completely and she was so much better, found the odd little hair poking out from under the snood. If I do this every day do you think it will break her habit or will she go straight back to it if I didn't cover my hair, she's not really playing with anything, doesn't seem to like being on a flat surface so its very hard to keep her entertained because all she wants to do is fly back up on to our shoulder.......
any advice would be appreciated, would getting "a friend" for her help, we know we would have to have a completely separate cage but hoping she may bond with the friend perhaps? My other worry is that she would be so jealous she would attack said "friend" and it would create more trouble than it's worth...........
Cat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2020, 07:18 PM   #2
JackieRTP

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

JackieRTP is on a distinguished road

It is not recommended to get a bird for your pet bird. There is no guarantee that they will get along. In addition, parrotlets are an aggressive species and have been known to attack and at times kill other birds including bonded mates. If you do get another bird, get it because YOU want another bird. Separate cages are a must as well.

I have not had my parrotlet ever break my hair. They do want play with it at times. My parrotlet loves being on my shoulder and is frequently there when I am at home. As far as breaking the habit of her and your hair by using a snood, all you can do is try and work at it. It may take time for her to break the habit as at times they can be stubborn.
JackieRTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:52 PM   #3
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

JackieRTP is correct... a pet parrotlet for a pet parrotlet is not wise. Even another type of bird may be attacked, then you have to deal with two birds who do not get along.

When I had Bogie, he would sit on my shoulders when I vacuumed the carpet and he would mess with the hair that was hanging down on my neck. He would curl the hair to the right, all the way across my neck! It would be perfectly curled because I would perspire and my hair would be wet.
I didn't know he was doing this until my wife told me. He did this every time!

Bogie and Ricochet both would clip my stubble on my face. Ricochet would pull at each stubble! It stings a little bit, but I do not think it will hurt them if they eat it. If seeds and pellets digest, then hair will.

As far as getting your pieces of hair cut in half, it is something Pixie will always do. It may be the texture of your hair or the taste of the shampoo or gel or whatever you put on your hair.
It is her way of preening you. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

David and Ricochet
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2020, 01:26 AM   #4
laracroft

laracroft will become famous soon enough

I agree I wouldn't get another bird for your bird, just in general, but it also sounds to me like she might be prone to over-preening, which is another good reason not to get another. I'd say the best way to deal with this is just to not let her at your hair. If that means covering it or putting it up, then yes, do that.

I went through a similar phase with Micah after he bit my foot, saw it made me jump, and decided that was super fun and he should do it all the time. My solution was to always wear socks around him so that it wouldn't hurt and I wouldn't give him the reaction he wanted, and after a few weeks or so he got bored and gave up.

Micah
DOH: 3/18/2016
laracroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 03:39 AM   #5
Cat17

Cat17 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all your replies, I tried completely covering my hair last night and she was a LOT better, she even played a bit which was nice. I’ll keep going with the covering my hair routine and see if it makes a difference..............
Cat17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:20 AM   #6
GrandmaLil

Parrotlets Owned: One
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

GrandmaLil is on a distinguished road

My Pip also keeps my few chin/neck hairs plucked. I didnít realize thatís what he was doing until I noticed I didnít have to remove those hairs anymore.

What is really painful is when he tries to pick off the skin tags. Ouch. I occasionally have to pull out a scarf or turtleneck to discourage him.

He does like to mess with my hair. He sits on my shoulder and sometimes snuggles underneath my hair and falls asleep. He also likes to sit on my head and play with my hair. I havenít noticed him breaking it off, but I will check that out.

When he is on my head, he likes to lean over and try to pluck my eyebrows. I chase him away and say ďstopĒ. He now says ďstopĒ, but still tries to do that.

I canít imagine having a second bird. Pip takes a lot of time and attention.
GrandmaLil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 01:17 PM   #7
Joeyd

Joeyd is on a distinguished road

I’m on the opposite side of this and love when Kai plays with my hair. Especially when I get a haircut and he plays with it , it feels very relaxing . My lovebird used to do the same thing and I always thought it was just them either playing or preening your hair like they would do with other birds.