Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > New Members Area > Introductions

Introductions If you're a new member, introduce yourself to the community so we can all welcome you here!

Notices

Hi There

This thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 141 times.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:56 PM   #11
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

David Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the roughDavid Miller is a jewel in the rough

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen H View Post
An expo might be another option, yeah. Thanks for the tip. I don't know how much research I could do on the breeder, though.

Hello Jen,

If you have a cell phone and go to an Expo and find a bird that you like, ask the breeder there for a business card and tell them you will look around a little more. Then go and look up the breeder's information on your cell, like the Better Business Bureau, and the breeder's home page with comments.

I bought my first p'lett from an Exotic Bird Show in Orlando. They have the shows 2 times a year. I went looking the first time to learn about the parrotlet and to research them and 6 months later, I returned to the second one and found a breeder. I looked her up on the phone and found out she was great to do business with. I bought Bogie from her. He was hand raised, etc, and he stepped up 20 minutes after I got him home.

It is in your best interest to get a tame bird for your first bird. P'letts are hard-headed at times and if you get one that is not tame, you have to overcome a lot of things before you can get a bond.

There are exceptions. Every once in a while you can get a non-tamed p'lett and not have a lot of heartbreak trying to get him to bond. It all depends on the attitude of the bird. But, I would go with the flow and find a tame one. If you buy one at a show or store, make sure he will step up onto your finger before you purchase him. The breeder will say things like, " Oh. He won't step up now because he is nervous" or " Once you get him home, he will step up. ".... Spend some time with the bird you are interested in and just be nice to the bird and if he is tame enough, he will be friendly.

Where are you located?

David and Ricochet
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Today, 04:27 PM   #12
Jen H

Jen H is on a distinguished road

Hi, David. My permanent residence is in OH, but I spend the Winters in TX. (Sorry, I haven't checked the forum in about a week.)
Jen H is online now   Reply With Quote